+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Yeah Lucky. Whoopie must be in denial or perhaps she was expecting her mom to pass away. I thought her death was sudden, but maybe she had strokes before. I have recently had to face the fact that I will likely bury my parents and it just kills me inside. I pray they overcome their health issues and live to be 100!

My dad had the same surgery Dave Letterman had about the same time. Since then he's had 3 stints inserted. He then developed A Fib, which is an irregular heartbeat. They are treating it with meds. Anway, that's certainly TOO much information for you, but I just pray to keep my parents as long as possible.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think a lot depends on what shape Whooppi's mom was in before this stroke. I lost my own mom in her 90's last year, and while I miss her as she used to be I certainly wouldn't have wished on her more months of the quality of life she had the last one. It's one thing feel sad if your mom was cut down in the middle of vibrant life, but is she'd been in and out of a coma and either in pain or drugged to sleep with pain pills for months you can't really be sad that that's ended. In a sense if your parent is dying that way you've already mourned the parent you lost months before. If you watch your parent die like that there's no way you can kid yourself that s/he will suddenly be the person they used to be again, you know it will only get worse. So I can see that she might not be teary-eyed... she may have done all that months or even years before.

I didn't see it, but her remarks fit in with the type of private person Whoopi appears to be.
    She has stated before how wonderful her mom was and how she impacted lots of lives with her teaching.
    It sounds, also, as if her comment about "who'll love me the way she did" was very telling about Whoopi.
    Having lost my Mom at a very early age, I know how devastating it can be. And, my heart is with all who have lost their own mothers.
    Each of us has a different way to deal with grief and it sounds as if she has come to terms with her loss in her own private way. I give her a lot of respect for that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Yes, everyone is different in the way they handle grief, and everyone's circumstances can be different. I can see if Whoopi's mom was sick for a long time, or even if the stroke she suffered recently was so severe that Whoopi knew she would never recover, that Whoopi might have done most of her mourning before her mother actually passed. For me, my father died 16 years ago, but for some reason the more time passes and the older I get, the sadder I am about it and the more I miss him!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It hasn't hit her yet, I'd say, and it won't for a while. No one can prepare you for that moment, no matter how sick your parent is. One of my dear funeral director friends said (he had lost his father in the past year) that there is something about that 6 month mark...and he was exactly right. My loss has been many years ago, and it still stuns me. She'll inch her way through it like we all have, in her own way. The effect has a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it, and in ways that you don't expect it.

Oh well, I guess this is Barbara's week, and we'll just have to tough it out.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4056254;
    Yes, everyone is different in the way they handle grief, and everyone's circumstances can be different. I can see if Whoopi's mom was sick for a long time, or even if the stroke she suffered recently was so severe that Whoopi knew she would never recover, that Whoopi might have done most of her mourning before her mother actually passed. For me, my father died 16 years ago, but for some reason the more time passes and the older I get, the sadder I am about it and the more I miss him!
    I hear you, Lucky.
    My Mom passed 36 years ago and I still think about her every day.
    And the same for my Dad - 13 years ago.

FORT Fanatic

does anyone outside of nyc care about the bed bug topic? i sure don't.

ALSO, just curious...how many people here tip housekeeping when staying at a hotel?
    Last edited by babyfat101; 09-08-2010 at 01:21 PM.

FORT Fogey

I didn't see the bed bug topic discussed today, but I read that the problem is pretty much happening nationwide. Ugh!

I do tip housekeepers in hotels, but not 20% of the entire bill, as I think Joy mentioned. That could amount to a lot of money! Let's say you're paying $100/night (not in NYC, obviously!) and staying there for a long weekend, three days for example ... that would mean a $60 tip, which is a bit steep for most people, IMO. Maybe a minimum would be $5-10/day, or more if you make a big mess, which I've never done. I guess wealthy celebs like Joy and Whoopi can afford better tips! I do always tip 20% in a restaurant, though, as long as the wait staff isn't totally rude or terrible. However, my bill is never so high as to make a 20% tip unaffordable.

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;4056732;
    does anyone outside of nyc care about the bed bug topic? i sure don't.
    I'm in Toronto, and I care. And anyone who travels should care.

FYI, something I heard on the radio the other day for travellers. Leave your suitcase in the bathroom. Bedbugs tend to stay where the people are, so are less likely to be hanging around the bathroom - if you leave your bag in there, you are less likely to be bringing bedbugs home with you. And they are almost impossible to get rid off (you pretty much have to throw out all your furniture), so it's worth a little inconvenience on your holiday to avoid the risk of infestation.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Say what you will about Barbara. I had to hand her major kudos for calling out Bristol Palin on being a "star" simply because she had a baby when she was 17.
    Of course, Elisabeth's defense was that she kept the baby and, thus, a "star" is made, in Elisabeth's opinion.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-08-2010 at 03:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread