+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 317172737475767778798081828384858687888990911311815811081 ... LastLast
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The View

Well, demmitall, we might be speaking too soon:

http://www.tmz.com/2006/08/03/top-stories-for-08-03-06/

Hell hath no fury like Star Jones scorned – especially if you question the sanctity of her marriage.

The fired "View" superdiva is fighting back after reports that she and husband Al Reynolds are on the verge of divorce, and she says she's knows who might be spreading the vicious rumors.

A report in yesterday's New York Post by reporter Braden Keil suggested that Star was telling friends that her marriage was on the rocks. According to one of Keil's anonymous sources, "Reality has finally caught up with them," and another friend said that Star was "heartbroken over the turn of events...She really wanted it to work, and she thought it just might work, but in the end, it just wasn't going to happen."

Now, Jones has taken the offensive, issuing a statement that calls the reports "categorically false" and that they're being "generated by someone for vindictive reasons alone." Jones and Reynolds say their lawyers are "investigating" the source and that they are "very close to exposing the individual who has perpetrated them."

It should be a very interesting August hiatus month for "View"-watchers, with the Star situation, Elisabeth's little tantrum yesterday, the impending arrival of Rosie, and the oddsmaking on Star's replacement.

I don't get what he big deal is, if it's not true then let it be. Why is she getting her panties in a bunch?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey
    I just finished watching the video of Barbara's smackdown on Elizabeth. While I"m not an Elizabeth fan, I think that Barbara was WAY off in that one. As I said earlier, I've never been impressed with Elizabeth's ability to put forth an argument in a logical manner. But all things considered, I think she did a better job on this one yesterday that she ever has.

She started it out saying her heart was pounding - she was in the lion's den, going into a discussion 3 against 1, and she knew it. Her initial argument was laid out very logically, and I commend her for saying it was her opinion so many times, and not behaving in a "this is the only way to think, and if you don't you're an idiot" manner. I'll be honest - I think that what she said, especially in the beginning, was much more of an actual argument than anything that Lisa or Joy said. I think it's quite telling that Joy came up with a scenario to support her side, and it was so weak that Barbara had to dismiss it and re-work it before they could even discuss it.

Elizabeth acknowledged that there are varying valid viewpoints on the subject. She also acknowledged the emotional conflicts she feels towards her own opinion, wishing that it were possible to have such a medication for the cases Barbara cited only. She spoke her mind in a segment that is designed for the hosts to speak their minds -- something they do day in and day out. Most of those days, Elizabeth sits there, not saying a word. She speaks up, and Barabara talks down to her in a manner that would make anyone feel 2 inches tall. I don't think it was fair at all.

Elisabeth as usual just resorted to getting loud and flustered when presented with alternate arguments.
    I think Brabara was absolutely right to tell her that she needs to be able to discuss things without exploding.
    I think it would have been far more appropriate however for Barbara to have had that discussion with her off camera after this pattern of behaviour surfaced very early in her View career.
    To do it on air was unprofessional, but imo it did need to be said because Elisabeth is utterly incapable of keeping her cool.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I thought it was ridiculous when Barbara was actually cuddling her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    What member of The View cast, with the possible exception of Barbara Walters has not exploded emotionally at some point during hot topics?

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    I just a little clip of her "taking the morning after pill is akin to birthing a baby and then leaving it in the middle of the street" tirade, Barbara telling her to calm down. My Lord, the girl talks so fast and, agreeably, loud.

The argument doesn't go to those that argue loudest and longest. She seems to have picked up that lovely trait from Star.

Speaking of Star... I saw another long blurb today, I believe on pagesix.com, that talked about the fact that her marriage truly is over, that she was overheard talking about it with girlfriends. It made it sound like it was Al's decision. I wonder how much is true.
    I really don't have a problem with her presentation at all. Yes, she was a little over animated. What I DID have a problem with was her total ignorance of what the pill actually does. It merely keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall. Period. If a fertilized egg never attaches to the uterine wall, the embryo never develops at all. The cells never even start to divide until the egg is attached. So how she can compare the pill to child abandonment is beyond me. Do your own thing girl, but do your homework before you get on a soapbox on national tv.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I really don't have a problem with her presentation at all. Yes, she was a little over animated. What I DID have a problem with was her total ignorance of what the pill actually does. It merely keeps a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall. Period. If a fertilized egg never attaches to the uterine wall, the embryo never develops at all. The cells never even start to divide until the egg is attached. So how she can compare the pill to child abandonment is beyond me. Do your own thing girl, but do your homework before you get on a soapbox on national tv.
    In the first comments she made on the subject, she explained what the pill does very accurately. She said that in her view, live begins the moment the sperm and the egg unite, which is why she said that in her eyes, preventing the attachment of the fertilized egg to the uterine wall is the same as child abandonment.

Transcribed from the show:

Elizabeth: “I believe that life begins at the moment of conception, and when that egg is fertilized. And so for me, in believing that “
    Barbara: “this prevents fertilization”
    Elizabeth: “This prevents also though once that fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine wall. So it is taking away that environment for that egg to develop, which would develop, most of the time, into a child – a baby. So for me, in taking that environment away from that life – to me, it’s the same thing as birthing a baby and leaving it on the street”

I disagree with her, but she got the facts right, and conveyed her interpretation of the facts.

Obviously, if you don't view life as beginning the moment the egg and sperm meet, you're not going to agree with her view. That's why I don't agree with her. But I give her a lot of credit for the number of times she said "I believe" and "My opinion is" in what she said. It was primarily because she was so careful to acknowledge that it was her view, and not one that was held or should be held by everyone that makes me think that Barbara was quite unfair to her.
    Last edited by Veruka; 08-04-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar
    Thanks for the link to the clip Veruka. Barbara should be ASHAMED of herself for her treatment of Elizabeth. Her "my way or the highway" attitude is getting on my last nerve. She just had to butt in and remind Elizabeth "who's the boss". Her so-called "broadcasting legend" status is quickly turning into that of "grumpy old hag". Why have a show called the "View" when it's clear the only "view" she wants anyone to share is her own, or one that is at the very least, poiltically correct so as not to offend anyone who doesn't share it? I think Elizabeth was actually stating her case a little TOO well for Barbara and was actually holding her own and Barbara was threatened by the "still wet behind the ears" Elizabeth upstaging her and everyone else by plainly stating her opinion. Sure, Barbara and the others may not share Elizabeth's view on the situation, but at the very least they should respect that she's just as entitled to her opinion as they are. I have always thought the View to be a better show on the days when Barbara wasn't on anyway, and now I see why.

The View is on its last legs and I for one will be glad to see this show put out of its (and our) miseries.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz View Post
    Yeah, I do too in a way. I know I was the main one complaining when she kept talking about that stupid wedding endlessly. I do think it is awful that as soon as the money stopped coming in he went out the back door. I had a feeling that something might be up with them when he was at a gym exercising on the other side of the country while she was having surgery??? There is NO WAY my husband would do that. Minor or major it is still surgery and he would be by my side. Anyway, she is going through a rough patch right now but she is strong and will pull through it.
    Touche. I knew something was fishy there. I hope they had a prenup

+ Reply to Thread