+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1627Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

Found this on line this morning. Had to share it.

Barbara Walters Forced Elisabeth Hasselbeck's Apology? | PopEater.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have a question that is not about the apology issue.

This is just a small thing that keeps bugging me. Maybe someone knows the answer.

Last winter Elisabeth and Sherry wore lots of sleeveless tops. I noticed in particular that on days it actually snowed in NY City, they had on sleeveless tops. Some of the days it snowed in my town too in NC, and I was home watching the show with a hot drink and enjoying a warm sweater. I kept seeing them in sleevless tops and kept wondering why that would seem appropiate when it's snowing and very cold. (These were live shows and not filimed in advance or repeats) I chalked it up to fashion.

Then this spring, I have noticed that Elisabeth has been wearing 3/4 length sweaters and blouses on a regular basis. This is in 70-80 degree weather. What gives? Any thoughts?

Most likely the temperature in the studio dictates what they wear - and isn't based on the weather outside.

Thanks prhoshay - I'd only seen her comments in bits and pieces, it was nice to see the whole thing, along with Gaby basically telling her to shut her trap with her comments.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I think Elisabeth quite often dresses in a manner that I wouldn consider unsuitable for a mid-morning talk show.
    It's odd to see eeryone else in long-sleeved tops, sometimes even with cardigans or jackets over the top and Lis is sat there in a gauzy, sleeveless number.

Even when she isn't wearing her own hideous designs she'll dress out of season or in sequined tops or cocktail dresses (very Ann Coulter).
    They get dressed at work and probably change out of the clothes before they leave. I recall Meredith saying many of their clothes are borrowed and go back to stores once they've worn them.
    I found that particularly troubling as Meredith loved to inform us that she didn't wear underwear.

The stylist doesn't do a great job on this show, imo, but I think she's also hampered by the women's own poor taste in clothing.
    Sherri loves to accentuate her bust when she'd have a better over all shape if she minimised it.
    Joy's wears pants that are too short most of the time, Whoopi often looks slovenly and Elisabeth wears her own designs too often (as I said previously, I find her designs hideous) and seems to have a penchant for coral which clashes with her overly spray-tanned skin colour, imo.
    The best dressed, imo, is Babs. She seems to get it right more often than not.
    Even if I don't particularly like something she wears I usually think it looks good on her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3895753;
    And Star got fired for what ... talking about her wedding too much and getting free stuff? At least she was an intelligent and interesting co-host with a solid background that contributed constructively to the show (even though she talked about her wedding too much for that period of time).

Amen to that! At least she was intelligent.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I missed Lucky's comment that you quoted, bee stung lips, but I completely agree.

Barabara claimed that Star's audience approval ratings were low but I find it impossible to believe Elisabeth's are any higher than Star's were at her lowest point.
    Of course there are some people who like Elisabeth, but over all she seems very unpopular.
    Unforunately she, Geddie and likely TPTB at ABC pinned this dislike on her politics.
    To me, Elisabeth is a nasty person, who she votes for is irrelevant.
    The way she behaves and the things she says make me dislike her, even when she isn't talking about anything remotely political.

I think she's still around because, as usual, she lucked out.
    Meredith and Lisa left, Star was fired and Rosie walked out, they needed some continuity at the table.
    Last time I saw ratings for the show they were fairly consistent no matter what was going on on any given episode.
    There was no fall off when Elisabeth left on maternity leave and no boost when she came back, so I guess it can be argued that while she may not contribute greatly to ratings she doesn't hurt them either.

At one point the regular panel on this show consisted of two journalists, a lawyer and a comedian who used to be a high school teacher.
    Now that comedian/teacher has been joined by two comedians/actresses and someone who came fourth on a reality show.
    No wonder the quality has nose-dived.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Last winter Elisabeth and Sherry wore lots of sleeveless tops. I noticed in particular that on days it actually snowed in NY City, they had on sleeveless tops. Some of the days it snowed in my town too in NC, and I was home watching the show with a hot drink and enjoying a warm sweater. I kept seeing them in sleevless tops and kept wondering why that would seem appropiate when it's snowing and very cold. (These were live shows and not filimed in advance or repeats) I chalked it up to fashion.

Then this spring, I have noticed that Elisabeth has been wearing 3/4 length sweaters and blouses on a regular basis. This is in 70-80 degree weather. What gives? Any thoughts?

I've noticed through the years that Spring clothes usually appear in stores right after the Christmas sales are over. Fall clothing usually begins appearing in July, thus the clothes the gals wear on the View are a bit ahead of the actual seasons. Since most of their clothes are borrowed from the stores by stylists, it seems to be a matter of what is available when needed.

I agree it does look ridiculous to see sleeveless/strapless clothes on TV in the middle of winter (even when we are cold here in Southern California). Soap operas are notorious for out-of-season clothes.
    Last edited by dagwood; 05-07-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3895620;
    The non-apology yesterday was the most ridiculous thing I've seen for quite some time, and I watch The Hills!!
    I've been thinking how entertainment television is kind of like a modern Rorschach test and what we see or don't see says so much about who we are. I'm even thinking of entering a doctoral program to explore my own imprints and this will be my thesis subject: Sexual Identity Polarities in Modern American Culture: From Elisabeth Hasselbeck as a Misogynist 'Uncle Tom' to Kristin Cavallari as a Feminist Role Model'.

Just my working thesis title, doesn't have to be anyone else's.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

FORT Fogey

The whole apology thing was weird not only for the reasons that have been mentioned ... but also why was Mama Elisabeth discussing the inappropriate remarks she made, which were of a sexual nature, with her 5-year-old daughter in the first place?! Is the kid her therapist or guru? Was her half-a$$ed apology doubling as a narcissistic tribute to herself for being such a great mommy who uses her own mistakes to teach life lessons to her children, or a way to tout her child genius as the second coming of Yoda? The apology should have been humble and straightforward, having nothing to do with her child and their relationship or Bible verses.

Please, TV gods, get that imbecilic twit off my screen. She reminds me of an overindulged 16-year-old whose parents allow her to mouth off nonstop at the dinner table. I hope she was absent today because she's out looking for a job!

Friday shows are pre-taped. I think this one was taped the day of the apology.

Elisabeth really does like to paint her daughter as some well-rounded, wise beyond her years, cultured figure who requests to listen to Beverley Sills, wants to frame pictures of the Obama girls and now offers no-nonsense counsel to depressed adults.
    I guess we know who'll be taking over from Oprah next year.

I can only imagine her reaction if someone offered that type of apology for a perceived wrong done to Elisabeth.
    She'd have condemned it for the sham it was.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread