+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1356Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

I sometimes tape the View when I'm at work. Last week was an incredible pleasure to rerun because both Elizatwit and Bawa were both out - at least on the days I taped. Sheer heaven.

Elizatwit said her hernia happened 5 years ago. I didn't understand why she waited so long to get it fixed; her doctor had to push her to get it done.

I'm so 'out' of it that I didn't even know what her "MJ" comment meant.

FORT Fanatic

I think she was waiting to finish having her children.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3881529;
    I hope that I did not come across as condescending...sounds like I may have.

It was an outie. A hernia is when an organ, or part of an organ, protrudes through the wall of the cavity (abdominal, in this case) that holds it. If the part that protrudes gets 'strangulated' (means exactly what it sounds like) from the tightening of the abdominal wall tissue, blood supply can be cut off, and gangrene can set up. The pressure of the pregnancies can cause this. My son had one, but it resolved itself. If she was having pain, I'd say that it's better to surgically repair it before you get into real trouble; better to fix it than to lose some intestine. It's my understanding that the umbilical hernia is more common in women.
    You didn't come across as condescending. I kow you too well for that.

THanks for explaining. I definitely did not think she was being vain. It seemed like it was posing a health risk to her. I assumed, like it looks like poster Bandy did, that she was waiting 'til she had ll her kids before she did the surgery.

Do you know, then, if all belly buttons that protrude are herniated,then?

I don't know about others here, but I always learn some new, interesting info on these boards!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't know what "MJ" means either.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I never read this thread as I rarely am home to watch the show (and I don't DVR it)... but... I gotta say I really learned a lot by popping in here tonight. A guy at work apparently has an umbilical hernia. I had no clue what it was (until tonight) but always noticed he has an enormously large belly button that seriously protrudes and is extremely noticeable. After reading this thread I Googled the term and that's gotta be it. Wow - the things ya learn here thanks!!

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3882924;
    I don't know what "MJ" means either.
    I think it refers to Michael Jackson and how he died.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3882748;
    Do you know, then, if all belly buttons that protrude are herniated,then?
    I'd think that, by mere definition of a hernia, that answer would be yes. But, I'm not a doctor!

Some people live with these herniations all of their lives with no problems. And they can occur in places other than the navel.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-22-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Joe Biden is one good-looking man! And I am loving the fit of his suit and the color of that tie!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Shay, thanks again for all the info on hernias, etc.
    It motivated me to read up on them. I love learning new stuff!

"MJ" was used by Elisabeth to refer to the way Michael Jackson reportedly died. His doctor, it seems, administered the drug, Profofol, off label to "allegedly" get him to sleep. Elisabeth ws attempting to be funny by uusing that term to refer to her anesthesiologist when he was, legally, administering the drug to her to get her to sleep. Normally, I like Eliabeth, though not her politics. That, though, was an extremely thoughtless comment.

Joe Biden is extremely likable. His love and admiration for his wife was just undenaible today, too. And, I loved his comments regarding Sarah Palin. Shows the guy is not at all mean spirited.
    I do give Elisabeth kudos toiday for her very nice and thoughtful comments about Joe. We don't always have to agree with people politically, but we should be able to be objective, just like she was today.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fan

Just a clarification - an umbilical hernia just means that the organ that is pushing out is pushing out around the belly button. It isn't an "outie" belly button. In this case the intestines would be pushing out through the abdominal wall around the belly button. As long as food can pass through the intestines there are no problems. When the hernia becomes strangulated or incarcerated, then serious consequences can happen if not taken care off.

+ Reply to Thread