+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

I am reading Sherri Shephard's new autobiography and it's funny and fascinating. Her mom died of complications from diabetes at the age of 41, I think. She didn't take care of herself.

Sherri finally got scared into taking care of herself and is very careful about what she eats. If you are a diabetic or pre-diabetic, her tales will scare you into earing more carefully.

Her Dad is still alive and lives in Chicago, I think.

I highly recommend the book. Much, much better than the average star bio.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3740950;
    I will say one thing for the JWs - there is none of this Christmas/birthday/shower gift/card nonsense with them in the office, which I really appreciate. Why won't people understand that work is where I get the money to pay for my life, and is not my life in itself?
    But that's not how it is for everyone. For some (lucky) people, work is where they make their money, but it can ALSO be where they make good friends and have A PORTION of the pleasures of their life. One is not mutually exclusive of the other. For many people, especially for example, celebrities, stylists, sports figures, artists and others, their work is definitely PART AND PARCEL of their life --- and look at all the people who have romances that stemmed from meeting people at work... that's another kind of joining pleasure and working. And, by the way, melding work and pleasure is not a BAD thing. So long as you get your work done to the best of your abilitity, what could possibly be wrong with getting as much pleasure out of being at work as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3741214;
    But that's not how it is for everyone. For some (lucky) people, work is where they make their money, but it can ALSO be where they make good friends and have A PORTION of the pleasures of their life. One is not mutually exclusive of the other. For many people, especially for example, celebrities, stylists, sports figures, artists and others, their work is definitely PART AND PARCEL of their life --- and look at all the people who have romances that stemmed from meeting people at work... that's another kind of joining pleasure and working. And, by the way, melding work and pleasure is not a BAD thing. So long as you get your work done to the best of your abilitity, what could possibly be wrong with getting as much pleasure out of being at work as possible?
    Well good for them. However, these happy, happy people frequently seem to be insensitive people without the minutest ability to read the people they are working with. I get along with my coworkers, like some of them, some of them like me. But they are just that - my coworkers, not my friends, and I don't want to get involved with their personal lives. At all. And pleasure out of being at work? That certainly wouldn't involve being forced to contribute to a gift for one of the people I do not like at all. So the best thing all around is to knock off this general office gift crap and those that are personal friends of the person apparently in need of a gift of some sort can get together and take care of it on their own time.

And believe me, I am far from being alone in holding this sentiment. However, the happy, happy people just do not seem to understand.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Elisabeth's VOICE!!!

Jeez....see a vocal coach....
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3741244;
    Well good for them. However, these happy, happy people frequently seem to be insensitive people without the minutest ability to read the people they are working with. I get along with my coworkers, like some of them, some of them like me. But they are just that - my coworkers, not my friends, and I don't want to get involved with their personal lives. At all. And pleasure out of being at work? That certainly wouldn't involve being forced to contribute to a gift for one of the people I do not like at all. So the best thing all around is to knock off this general office gift crap and those that are personal friends of the person apparently in need of a gift of some sort can get together and take care of it on their own time.

And believe me, I am far from being alone in holding this sentiment. However, the happy, happy people just do not seem to understand.
    No you're not alone. If people want to be all best friends with their coworkers that's fine. I get much pleasure from my job. That is the actual work I do. So people can find pleasure in work without buying birthday presents and cards for everyone whose birthday pops up etc. Not only does that start to get a little expensive but it gets a little obnoxious.

I don't need to hear every little bit of personal information about my coworkers and their lives. They're my coworkers. They're not my friends. We used to talk about this same thing when I was in school too. There are some people who have this drive to maek everyone their best friend. There were some of us who went to school to go to school. We didn't need to join the "club." And that's how it is at work now. We don't need to join this fake little society and club. But we do derive much pleasure from work.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3741208;
    I highly recommend the book. Much, much better than the average star bio.
    did you mean:
    I highly recommend the book. Much, much better than the average star [JONES] bio? ha ha ha.

FORT Fogey

I don't know how else to say this--EH is a complete idiot.

She took a very interesting discussion about women/families who have many many children--like the Duggars--and turned it through her inane comments on this that and the other thing--into a discussion about NOTHING but what she wanted to proclaim about as "other people's prejudices."

And now as they try to talk about what Obama has done so far--EH keeps trying to talk about his being "ditherer" including interrupting the other women who are trying to talk about many issues.

Even BW sounds exasperated with her for ruining two discussions in a row.

It was funny when Joy said to Elisabeth that, despite what she thinks, not all women struggle with the decision to not go ahead with a birth.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Did anyone see Ivanna and Ivanka Trump this morning? I caught only the last minute or so. Noticed Ivanka was not wearing a wedding ring. Was the segment filmed before the wedding, or was any comment made about that? Why was Ivanna on the show? I saw Ivanka was peddling her new book.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3742360;
    Did anyone see Ivanna and Ivanka Trump this morning? I caught only the last minute or so. Noticed Ivanka was not wearing a wedding ring. Was the segment filmed before the wedding, or was any comment made about that? Why was Ivanna on the show? I saw Ivanka was peddling her new book.
    Ivanka Trump Forgets Her Wedding Bling - Ivanka Trump : People.com

+ Reply to Thread