+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Wasn't she raised Jehovah's Witness?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3738156;
    It was "twilight." I remember trying to tell the doctor I was awake, but I don't know if I was actually speaking, or just thought I was. He must have at least seen I was awake, because I did go back "under" at some point. If you're completely anesthetized, how long do you have to stay there before they let you go home? I went home fairly quickly after it was done and felt completely alert. Also had an upper endoscopy in "twilight sleep" on another occasion and didn't wake up at all, thankfully.
    Apologies to everyone for being so far off topic -- but since we all need to get at least one colonoscopy done at some point in our lives, maybe it's worth a few moments to digress. . .

Lucky22, I was amazed that the anesthesia I was given was GREAT! I woke up refreshed and completely awake, with no after-effects of any kind. I was able to go home about a half hour, or so, later. I asked the anesthesiologist what I was given, so that if I ever need any other procedures in the future, I'll know what anesthesia works well for me -- and he said it was PROPOFOL together with FENTANYL. By the way, for those of you who recognize the name Propofol, yes, it was one of the multiple meds given to Michael Jackson at the end when he died.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3739754;
    PWS, I wondered the same thing... found this ABC link with pictures and costume descriptions from today's show. Impressive costumes!
    Thanks, that was fun! And I agree, Barbara looked good!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought that Barbara looked like Morticia Addams. Why did she keep pulling and holding her hair over her face? Bill Gedde's costume was really good and hideous.

Sherri was raised JW, but I think she is now Baptist. I've never understood the JWs.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3740435;
    Wasn't she raised Jehovah's Witness?
    Yes she was--as was my friend.

From my friend's description it was not the most joyful of childhoods--she really cut loose when she got away from home.

And now that she's married and has a son she spoils him soooo much--the birhtday parties she throws for him are fantastic--really proffesional-grade parties.

I was thrilled to see Sherri so into her costume and the holiday after having heard my friend's childhood tales.

Every so often when the ladies on the View are talking about various holidays and childhood memories Sherri will chime in--often quietly--that she didn't get to experience any of that as a child.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Correction on calling Sherri "Baptist". I think she identifies herself as "Christian". Whatever...
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3740462;
    Sherri was raised JW, but I think she is now Baptist. I've never understood the JWs.
    I will say one thing for the JWs - there is none of this Christmas/birthday/shower gift/card nonsense with them in the office, which I really appreciate. Why won't people understand that work is where I get the money to pay for my life, and is not my life in itself?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3740950;
    I will say one thing for the JWs - there is none of this Christmas/birthday/shower gift/card nonsense with them in the office, which I really appreciate. Why won't people understand that work is where I get the money to pay for my life, and is not my life in itself?
    Oh dude I totally hear that. I love my coworkers but it's not my life. I went to school with a bunch of JW's (elementary and high school). Growing up with it and that diversity really helped me learn to accept people and their beliefs for what they are.

FORT Fogey

My only contact has been with several formers--three people who were raised in that set of beliefs and who have some pretty sad tales of their childhoods--and then celebs like Sherri who mention it every so often.

Oh--and the almost steady stream of missionaries who come down our street because we're not far from a main thoroughfare.

I don't mind their beliefs--I just feel sad for people like Sherri who are trying now to figure out what they do believe--and haven't yet forgiven their paents for their beliefs.

It occurs to me that Sherri NEVER talks about her parents. I don't even know if they are alive or dead.

Hmmm.....

I don't remember Sherri talking about her mother, but I've heard her talk about her father, and he even appeared in the clip they did when Sherri and that wrestling guy (whatever his name is) went to the prom. He picked Sherri up and had to meet her father. Her dad acted all menacing and gave them all kinds of rules to follow. It was kind of cute.

I totally agree with the keeping that gift/shower stuff out of the workplace. They really put you on the spot. Having to buy gifts for people that you've never met and probably never will meet. I also object to the parents who bring the things that their kids are selling to work and sell for them. Girl Scout Cookies, candy bars, magazine, etc.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread