+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

I can wait.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

I didn't see the show on the Gates arrest. I can just imagine how it went. Probably pretty stereo typical sadly.

An interesting moment during that discussion, which became pretty lively, was when BW brought up the fact that the officer asked Prof. Gates to step out onto the porch, and dumbarse Elisabeth said, "That's where the right to bear arms comes in." Babs immediately stopped, snatched her head to the right to look at Elisabeth and said, "Whaaat?", as if in disbelief. If I hadn't played that moment back multiple times, I would have missed it because, as usual, several people were speaking at the same time. It definitely reminded me of times when I've been speechless because of some stupidity uttered by (coincidently) some of my blonde friends.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In defense of blondes... Elizabeth isn't one.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fanatic

Someone who knows a cop thinks the officer asked Gates to step outside so that hopefully there would be witnesses to what transpired. If they are both inside the house, no witnesses to what was said or done.

I also heard that they can't arrest you when you're inside your house unless they have a warrant. I don't know if this is true or not and am currently too lazy to look it up.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't know the details of what happened but I empathize with Gates. I don't commit crimes. I live a very normal life. My only crime is that I have tattoos and a couple piercings (litterally a couple). I cannot go to walmart without being followed around even though I have never stole a thing from there. I parked my car in a parking lot one evening and came to find an officer by my car threatening to search it and harassing me (asking me such in depth questions such as do I know where i live). I have had them come to my house because people called in that someone looked suspicious in my yard. It was me and got harassed by the police. Thankfully it happens less often now at my house since I have lived here longer. It would be a cold day before I stepped out on the porch with an officer. No thank you I will stand comfortably in my house whilst being questioned.

There is a breaking point for everyone who deals with stuff like that. Especially people who generally don't do anything wrong. It sucks for me to walk into a store knowing that I will be followed. Or drive by an officer wondering if he's going to pull me over because I don't look the same as everyone else (happens more than I want to admit honestly). If I was in his shoes after I had produced ID saying I lived there and proof of identity I would expect the officers to say have a nice day and walk right back out. If not I would be screaming mad.

When I talk to people I always ask how many times do you have to produce your ID for the authorities to prove who you are or where you live? I will NEVER forget my drivers license because the one time I do I'll end up in jail because of it. Does the rest of the society have to worry about that?

FORT Fanatic

The black officer who was also there and backs up the Crowley says when you are called to the house like that it is normal to ask someone to step outside so that you may talk to them and verify that they are not being held under duress by someone hiding in the home. There were two people reported to have entered the home on the 911 tape. This happened to me once when a child in our home called 911 they made me come outside without stating a reason and made me tell them that there was no one in the house. The man was doing his job there was no reson for Gates to be irate it had nothing to do with his race it was his own perception and he became unruly and irate and beligerante. Enough already, everything isn't about race.

If the officer had just went to the door and shrugged it all off and then something had been wrong inside or Gates killed because he had been forced into the home by a criminal then the cop would have been accused of being a racist for not following through and shrugging off a black man when it was reported his home was being broken in to by a 911 call.

I can say it is almost as bad as being called a pedophile to be called a racist and it is thrown out far to often and in this case I would say Gates acted most like a racist. If the black cop had done the exact same thing would he have acted that way? NO!

E isn't far off either the right to bear arms comes in part because of the "police" and not being able to defend etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3617819;
    If the black cop had done the exact same thing would he have acted that way? NO!
    How is it that you know this for fact? And not only fact but DECLARATIVE fact?

And it is Professor Gates, world renowned Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates not 'Gates'.

And I believe the other officer has a name as well -- not 'the black cop'.

Most importantly, the charges in this case were DROPPED. That is a substantiated FACT that demonstrates that the arrest based on the charges was not warranted.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3616736;
    In defense of blondes... Elizabeth isn't one.
    Good point, good point! She's not a blonde; she just aspires to play one on TV!

+ Reply to Thread