+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1505Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

My mom is my proxy too on the living will.

Loved what LL had to say about the Wills and leaving your kids to certain people. I think he hit the nail right on the head with it all, I do think the subject is sensitive and loved that he commented on his own personal experiences with his kids. I love him on the View and I think so did Barbara

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I was really impressed with LL CoolJ too. I don't know much about him but he seems like a really good role model for young men today.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Usually with these guardianship things they suggest/make you have alternatives. In the case of MJ's mom that's especially true... think how old she will be when the youngest is 18...or even the oldest. What are the odds she will be in good enough physical and mental health to ride herd on teens? And no doubt he set this up many years ago, but still, anyone can do the math.
    I heard Diana Ross didn't come to the ceremony (nor did Elizabeth T., but with her health that's pretty understandable)--if she was close to the kids you'd think she would. So I worry a bit for those kids. Apparently MJ didn't think any of his sibs would be good enough parents....
    And not to be morbid to those who have their moms listed as guardians and who plan to remake the will if something happens to mom, but what if you and mom are out shopping one day and get T-boned by a drunk driver and both killed? Surely you want to set up an alternative in advance, no?

I have a secondary proxy as well and secondary person like MJ did on his will in case of something that unlikely in which case for both it's my dad. When you sit down and write these things out you can't plan for absolutely all contingencies. You just need to make the best choice you can at the moment and hope. I mean it's the same for all the people who put their children's other parent on the will. What if you're all out as a family and get t-boned?

My mom was mentioned in my will to take care of my son simply because she was the most experienced and trusted person to do so.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Our options were good friends who lived on oppostite coasts! They barely knew each other so almost no chance of that happening.
    I was glad that MJ had other people handling the $$ type issues. His mom has enough to handle w/o having to beat off bloodsucking relatives who want the cash.

I don't have kids but I'm not sure I would name my parents. They are in their 60's and my dad is almost 70 so I don't want to do that to them. I would probably name my sister because my brother hates kids and my other brother is not a suitable father for the 6 he already has! My sister and her husband are stable financially and are great parents to their 2 kids. I would probably name my best friend as 2nd. She has 2 teenager girls that will be gone in a couple of years and then she has 12 and 7 year old boys and she would make sure to instill the same values as myself and take them to the church that I love. My sister currently has named my cousin and her husband since I'm single and kind of a big kid. She said if I ever got married she would change it to me since my cousin's kids are kind of mean to my niece and nephew.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3554985;
    I was really impressed with LL CoolJ too. I don't know much about him but he seems like a really good role model for young men today.
    I would agree with that! He was great, and not bad to look at either! I particularly like how he handled that Will question, it seemed like it was a very private thing for him but he still managed to say what he thought about it without stepping on any toes! I was surprised at how open the ladies were with that information but then again i am not really, you can always count on Sherri to tell you what she is thinking!
    Last edited by Toby; 07-10-2009 at 09:20 AM.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3555764;
    I don't have kids but I'm not sure I would name my parents. They are in their 60's and my dad is almost 70 so I don't want to do that to them. I would probably name my sister because my brother hates kids and my other brother is not a suitable father for the 6 he already has! My sister and her husband are stable financially and are great parents to their 2 kids. I would probably name my best friend as 2nd. She has 2 teenager girls that will be gone in a couple of years and then she has 12 and 7 year old boys and she would make sure to instill the same values as myself and take them to the church that I love. My sister currently has named my cousin and her husband since I'm single and kind of a big kid. She said if I ever got married she would change it to me since my cousin's kids are kind of mean to my niece and nephew.
    One of my siblings is in and out of prison with federal drug charges and the other one is has a litter of her own children and I don't keep in close contact with her either because she alienated herself from the family. I tend to move a lot too so I don't have any friends that I've grown up with. I have friends I've e-maile dfor years but I wouldn't ever dream of putting htem in a position to have to make decisions about my life or something like that. So that's why I use my parents. They're in their 60's but I know they know me well enough to be able ot make any of those decisions and that they're able to make those decisions in a pinch (they did with both of their parents).

+ Reply to Thread