+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Whoopi brought up an interesting point about Michael Jackson appointing his mother--who he should be thinking he would outlive--and not his brothers or sisters as guardians for his children.

The guest running through the botox-type treatments in that piece today was pumped so full of chemicals she couldn't have formed an expression if she tried.
    I don't know what on earth she asked her hairdresser for that ended with her getting that disgusting mustardy-yellow colour, but she needs to rethink her entire look, imo.
    I don't like to focus on people's looks, but when someone booked as guest to supposedly show people ways they can look better I want that information coming from someone who looks good themself.
    Last edited by fluff; 07-08-2009 at 04:18 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Fluff, I thought the same thing about the botoxed guest today! I sat there staring at her facial expressions (or lack thereof) the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;3552289;
    Whoopi brought up an interesting point about Michael Jackson appointing his mother--who he should be thinking he would outlive--and not his brothers or sisters as guardians for his children.
    I looked at it like Sherri did. It's not that he expected her to outlive him, but thought she would be the best choice if needed.

I am in the same type of situation with all my life insurance. I am not married and my daughter's father is no in her life. Everything is in my mom's name in case something should happen, but I don't expect it to. And I have siblings, I just think my mom would be the best choice.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3552632;
    I looked at it like Sherri did. It's not that he expected her to outlive him, but thought she would be the best choice if needed.

I am in the same type of situation with all my life insurance. I am not married and my daughter's father is no in her life. Everything is in my mom's name in case something should happen, but I don't expect it to. And I have siblings, I just think my mom would be the best choice.
    I agree, He named Diana Ross as well.. and I assumed that was an "in the event of..." choice. His oldest son is not that far off of 18 in which case he would be a choice as well I assume. No one wants to think their child would go before them.. and the other way around.. but I too would name my mother if something shuld happen to me. So I dont see that as all that strange in this case.. not to mention the rest of his family.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I was really surprised that Whoopi brought that up. I don't think it can be construed to mean he thought he'd predecease his Mom. It just seemed to be one of those necessary items to fill in, just in case....
    I usually think of Whoopi as the sanest of the group. The comment just seemed unusual coming from her.
    I, too, felt the woman demonstrating all the injectables was not a good role model for the products at all. This was 1 segment that Joy really seemed to bristle at. I did like the point they were trying to make - only go to a board certified doctor - but I do think they downplayed the cost and the number of sessions way too much. Nothing gets removed - be it tattoos, veins, scars - with just 1 visit. And the cost can be prohibitive.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The way I see it is MJ named his mother because he felt she would be the best person to raise his children. If she had died before him, he would have had to draw up another will. Guardianship for your children in the case of your death is a difficult decision for anyone but with that disfunctional family it must have been even harder.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I love Whoopie and wish I could hear her more often over the cachophony of Sherrie and Elisabeth. Sherrie is starting to talk way way too much. I was taught always that interrupting people was rude, and while I like the show the constant overtalk makes me crazy.

Anytime something has come up in my life (life insurance, will etc.) I have always named my mom. Mostly because I knew my marriage wouldn't last and I wasn't going to have to go through the process of changing the paperwork with every failed relationship I had. Secondly I trust her. When she dies I will then redo the paperwork but that means I will have one less redo of the paperwork. She raised me, I trust her and she's still alive. It just makes sense. I don't think I will die before her but in the event I do then it's taken care of.

My daughter and my oldest son have me named as beneficiary for their life insurance policies. My youngest has children and I assume that if the 2 older ones ever get married or have children, things would change then. I just know that I never want to receive that money.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread