+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fan

Re: The View

I have to admit I laughed out loud when George Lopez made the joke... Any chance to hit something white with a club. I noticed everybody else laughed too. Then I thought about if someone would have made a joke... any chance to hit something black. there would have been outrage. Rev. Sharpton would be giving his 50 cents about it. There's such a double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78;3512127;
    I have to admit I laughed out loud when George Lopez made the joke... Any chance to hit something white with a club. I noticed everybody else laughed too. Then I thought about if someone would have made a joke... any chance to hit something black. there would have been outrage. Rev. Sharpton would be giving his 50 cents about it. There's such a double standard.
    I didn't hear / see it, but I've heard George Lopez many times in the past.
    I don't know about the double standard, though.
    Most black youths still cannot walk after dark in most white neighborhoods without getting strange and/or frightened looks or getting pulled over by the police.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

There is such a thing as white privilege. Systemic oppression and oppression by ignorance are real issues. I'm a pale person but my dad is very not white and I have had to deal with this first hand through him. It sucks.

There are realities that non-white people have to deal with that the white population doesn't even have think about for the most part. So I see George's comments not that bad considering some of hte comments that are thrown around on a daily basis by many people including public figures.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Very insightful post, chaos, and very well stated. Not realizing that there is NOT a level playing field...nor has there ever been...points out the problem with the education of our people in this country. It can be easy to say "double standard" when you've never been taught the complete and true history of our country. It goes to the mindset of, (said in a whispered voice) "That's unpleasant. Let's not talk about it."

About the show today....the ladies were talking about Iran and what President Obama has said and whether or not it was a strong enough statement, things got heated, of course, and Elisabeth was going on and on nonstop. Joy started to speak, and Elisabeth (who had had the floor for a while) started talking again....now, did I hear it right??? Did Joy actually say, [I]"Did you ever hear of "Wait until I finish my sentence,"?" Or am I putting 2 sentences together into one sentence?? I was laid back in a semi-nap, and I completely sat up!!! Elisabeth's face told me that I'd heard it right, but I'd like somebody else's take on what happened; she looked chastised and humiliated. Sherri's eyes were down; when they cut to Whoopi, I could have sworn that I saw a little smirk.

Later in the broadcast, BW had to tell Elisabeth to wait until she finished what she (BW) had to say! Just wasn't ol' Bitsy's day, I guess.

Anyway, today is worth the watch.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-22-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

i too heard joy chastise bitsy. also enjoyed, and i'm paraphrasing big time...when bitsy was monologue'ing about the pres/iran and giving her unique opinion and was saying this is her personal opinion, NOT the opinion of the republican party, and babs injected that they are both the same. i think it's scary that people think the US should get involved in upheavels/unrests in the world.

That's what I thought I heard Joy say too. It should also be noted that Elisabeth kept stating that she wished Pres. Obama would do more and Barbara asked her several times what she thought he should do, but she couldn't come up with an answer.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3516250;
    That's what I thought I heard Joy say too. It should also be noted that Elisabeth kept stating that she wished Pres. Obama would do more and Barbara asked her several times what she thought he should do, but she couldn't come up with an answer.
    Why would Elisabeth have the answer? She is just a talk show host.
    I see EH as being frustrated that nothing, in her mind, is being done. She hears that we should not meddle and she knows that we shouldn't. But at the same time she sees unrest so she turns to her leader thinking he will have the answer and make it stop. And he is quiet.

This is where I realize that she doesn't just repeat the talk show circuit and actually has her own thoughts.
    Sean, Rush and Bill have ALL had the answers to end all of this and she did not quote any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3516427;
    Sean, Rush and Bill have ALL had the answers to end all of this and she did not quote any of them.
    These three idiots ALL have the 'answers' to global conflict? Somehow, I doubt it.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I see EH as being frustrated that nothing, in her mind, is being done.
    What I see is Elisabeth making this an opportunity to criticize President Obama, just the same as Joy did with President Bush. If someone is as passionate as EH seemed to be about the issue, then she should certainly have more of an opinion on just exactly what the President should be doing to make things better. If all you can do is criticize without offering any solutions to the problem, then maybe you should just be quiet.

Sean, Rush and Bill have ALL had the answers to end all of this...
    Now that has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

A Falmouth woman isn’t taking a kind view toward “The View” star Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s book on her recently diagnosed ailment.

Susan Hassett, a self-published author, is claiming in a federal lawsuit filed in Boston that the celebrity infringed on Hassett’s copyrights by publishing a book on celiac disease, titled “The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide,” last month.

In her suit, Hassett claims she sent Hasselbeck a copy of her own book, “Living With Celiac Disease,” in April 2008, along with a homemade cooking video, a personal note, a newspaper article and a business card.

Hasselbeck recently discovered she’s long suffered from celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder linked to gluten proteins found in wheat, barley and rye. The disease can cause, among other things, chronic diarrhea and fatigue.

Hasselbeck has said she discovered she had the ailment after returning from a “Survivor” show taping in Australia, where she felt fine and hadn’t eaten the same types of foods as she normally does in the United States.

A publicist for ABC, the network on which “The View” is aired, and for Hachette Book Group, publisher of Hasselbeck’s book, couldn’t be reached for comment.
    Falmouth woman sues Elisabeth Hasselbeck over book - BostonHerald.com

The Sue Hassert copyright claims have been swirling since Elisabeth started to publicise her book.
    I obviously don't know if the claim holds water, but this is not going to be pleasant for Elisabeth for a while.
    She's suing Elisabeth, the publishers of the book and "John Doe", the claim is for $3m according to the court docket I aw at another site.

What did you all think of Sherri's wooden spoon story yesterday?
    Although I knew her opinion on "spanking", I was still a bit suprised to hear her say that she threatens her son with a wooden spoon.
    Last edited by fluff; 06-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread