+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I missed that part of the show. I jsut HAD to turn it off after EH's trying to talk intelligently about Cheney's declaration that he is coming out for Gay Marriage--finally.

She just sounds so stupid every time she opens her mouth.

My prayers fror all the people on that plane and for their loved ones as well......

And I hope Whoopi finds a way to get back home too.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3480006;
    I missed that part of the show. I jsut HAD to turn it off after EH's trying to talk intelligently about Cheney's declaration that he is coming out for Gay Marriage--finally.
    She just sounds so stupid every time she opens her mouth.

My prayers fror all the people on that plane and for their loved ones as well......

And I hope Whoopi finds a way to get back home too.
    Oh do tell, what did she have to say???
    I've been trying to find a news story on Cheney and that and somehow have missed it....still just finding Cheney and the war stuff.

FORT Fogey

I watched it last night, and I'm not sure of what Elisabeth said that was considered so non-intelligent. I thought she was making a fair point and illustrated it well. She countered the notion that Cheney should stereotypically be agaisnt gay marriage by pointing to liberals who are against it, illustrating that it's an issue with a lot of gray ideologically. And, when Sherri started to go down the road of equating objection to gay marriage iwth intolernace, Elisabeth effectively countered by personifying what that would mean, so that Sherri quickly reversed herself.

My issue with that discussion was Barbara's ignorance put on display while she was attempting to come across as so informend and in the know. She suggested that Dick Cheney would have had a hard time accepting his daughter's sexuality, and took some time to come to grips with it ... and clarified by saying that we had to speculate because we had no way of knowing. But we DO have a way of knowing, because the Cheney's have talked very openly about it. In Mary Cheney's autobiography, she talked about coming out to both of her parents. She said her mother cried, and lamented that life would be hard for her. She said her father told her he loved her. That's not the description of a man who had to take some time to come to grips with it. But Barbara suggesting it illustrates just how off her perception of men like Cheney really is.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3479425;
    Poor Whoopi! In London, after what happened with the plane crash. She may never come back now...wonder how she feels about ships? Got to admit...I am totally creeped out by that crash, too.
    Pardon my ignorance, (haven't seen the View in a while) but could someone fill me in. Did Whoopi actually give in and fly somewhere on an airplane??? I seem to recall her have a huge fear of flying. Did she finally give in to her fears and get on a plane? And now the horrible plane crash that just happened. Poor her...I'm sure she's feeling her worst fears have been confirmed.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3481387;
    Pardon my ignorance, (haven't seen the View in a while) but could someone fill me in. Did Whoopi actually give in and fly somewhere on an airplane??? I seem to recall her have a huge fear of flying. Did she finally give in to her fears and get on a plane? And now the horrible plane crash that just happened. Poor her...I'm sure she's feeling her worst fears have been confirmed.
    Yes, Whoopi has been working on overcoming her fear of flying, and made a couple of trips by air recently. She went to London for the opening of the Sister Act musical ... likely an inspiration for her working on overcoming her fear.

On today's show, they had Claire Shipman on and she talked about how women are trying to change the rules in the workplace by insisting that women be allowed to work from home, etc. Much of her argument was that 'women are different from men' attitude...due to having kids, etc. and, therefore, their families need to come first. Ms. Shipman went on to say that many older women in her audience who had fought for women's rights years ago basing their fight on the fact that women and men were equal - are not necessarily in tune with her new fight because they feel it goes back to the old " men and women are different" attitude that [I]they had successfully fought against.
    I thought about this and thought about my own experiences in the workplace. I find it interesting that each time my request to work part of the time from home was denied was when I had a FEMALE manager. I've also had female managers who've denied my request, yet allowed other females to work partly from home. Some "justified" it by indicating that the females had small children at home and / or had a long commute. I'm not slamming women here, by any means. I have had some very poor and unreasonable male managers, as well. I am, however, about fairness and equality to all; not just to a select few.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 06-03-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I find it so amazing that some people think that the womanstaying at home looking after the children and house, the natural order of things. Throughout history, women especially the poor and middle class, had to work and take their kids with them or hire babysitters! If they worked farms it was easier to have the kids around than if they worked in factories. Only the rich who could afford nannies and servants, stayed home. Women have always had to work one way or another.
    It wasnt until later in the last century, that woman stayed home and raised their children, if they could afford it.

I'm always amused that the women have to stay home. I have far more earning power than than the men I've been dating it would make way more sense for me to work and him stay home and many of the men I've been with have indicated they were fine with that or them getting a part time job. Whatever.

As a feminist I believe in true equality meaning men and women get the same benefits as well as those with or without children. I personally have played hell with work places that determine since I do not have children I shoudl work all holidays and weekends for example while I'm actually caring for two elderly parents too in there. But taht doesn't count for anything.

Cable jockey is right. Women have worked for many centuries. Also, the reality that the upper class typically had other people raising their children while the women stayed home and did other womanly things. So this stay at home parenting thing is relatively recent invention in history.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right--recent! And before the industrial revolution everyone "worked from home" and the kids were underfoot whether you were in the fields or in the house or in the shop over which you lived. And mostly they were helping!

I'm an older feminist, and I'm all for work from home options for everyone--male and female. You can't have it just be for one sex. You do lose something if you never have any interaction with fellow workers, but once a week is probably plenty. And it cuts down on commuting, pollution, etc.

Depends on the job if working from home is really feasible. Some people forget that their jobs are not necessarily conducive to working from home and just assume they are. I worked a secretary that wanted to work from home and couldn't grasp the concept that we weren't going to let confidential client information out the door with her to do so.

Prior to the industrial revolution and even in tribal communities kids served a purpose. I hate to put it that way. But the parents in the home and out of home did a considerable amount of work. I know stay at home mom's work now but the work load was considerably higher back before present time, especially for middle and lower classes. The upper class traditionally has had very small work loads that did not even include interacting with children.

+ Reply to Thread