+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1627Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46;3418911;
    And that's a real accomplishment!!

As much as I find BW's presence a damper on the general thrust and tone of the show--I do give her kudos for signing up on Twitter--and for doing that in public on the show.

There was the potential for embarrassment--she's not the most technologically ept person on that show--so I do admire her for exposing herself in that way.

What I do find puzzling is how often The View talks about Twitter--they mention it almost every show now--I am begin to wonder if Twitter is an advertiser on the show?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I doubt that they have to be a sponsor, since it's being talked about, almost non-stop, everywhere you go.

And, about BW and Twitter....Who Cares??? EVERY show is doing it. It's tired now.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3418917;
    As much as I find BW's presence a damper on the general thrust and tone of the show--I do give her kudos for signing up on Twitter--and for doing that in public on the show.

There was the potential for embarrassment--she's not the most technologically ept person on that show--so I do admire her for exposing herself in that way.

What I do find puzzling is how often The View talks about Twitter--they mention it almost every show now--I am begin to wonder if Twitter is an advertiser on the show?
    It is not a sponsorship, it is a media partnership between Twitter and ABC. ABC has their personalities sign up for Twitter and promote their accounts, and in return, ABC has some presence and features with Twitter. It's not that different from CBS deciding to partner with YouTube for some of their material.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3418924;
    It is not a sponsorship, it is a media partnership between Twitter and ABC. ABC has their personalities sign up for Twitter and promote their accounts, and in return, ABC has some presence and features with Twitter. It's not that different from CBS deciding to partner with YouTube for some of their material.

That's interesting. Can you tell us where you heard that info?

I watch ABC often and do see this on other of their shows as well--like on their overnight news.

But I hadn't heard aout the "media partnership."

Thanks for any info.

FORT Fogey

I do not recall where I read about the partnership. I believe it was a digital trade publication, but I don't remember when or where.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3418991;
    I do not recall where I read about the partnership. I believe it was a digital trade publication, but I don't remember when or where.

Thanks.

The more I think about it ABC has done a tremendous amount of "free publicity" for Twitter. They've run interviews with the inventors/owners on their Nightline show. The "newscasters" on their overnight news have made numerous off-topic references to it. It's been on the GMA morning show numerous times. In addition to what's been on the View.

Some sort of "arrangement" between ABC and Twitter makes a lot of sense.

Too bad they don't admit it more openly than an item in a trade publication.

It seems The View has turned into little mroe than a shill for various companies they have "arrangements" with.

Too bad.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3419052;
    Thanks.

The more I think about it ABC has done a tremendous amount of "free publicity" for Twitter. They've run interviews with the inventors/owners on their Nightline show. The "newscasters" on their overnight news have made numerous off-topic references to it. It's been on the GMA morning show numerous times. In addition to what's been on the View.

Some sort of "arrangement" between ABC and Twitter makes a lot of sense.

Too bad they don't admit it more openly than an item in a trade publication.

It seems The View has turned into little mroe than a shill for various companies they have "arrangements" with.

Too bad.
    I don't think there's a deliberate effort to hide it. I think that it's just not news that the average joe would really be interested in. News organizations often times can consider things they do to be news, when they're really not. It's kind of refreshing to see business arrangements treated for wha they really are (business worthy of mention in trade pubs, but not widespread) instead of making it out to be something that the entire world needs to know.

As for The View (and many other shows) turning into "shills" for various companies - don't forget that thsoe product placement deals pay to put the show on the air for you. You don't have to pay a TV license fee to own a TV like you do in England. You don't have to pay for ABC like you do HBO. You get to watch really good programming for free because the advertisers foot the bill. When inventions like Tivo help viewers to avoid watching the commercials, then networks and advertisers are going to come up with creative ways to get viewers to still see those messages, and that comes through things like product placement. I often wonder if the people who claim they hate being exposed to advertising would really rather pay a large sum of money each year to get to watch TV, or if upon further review it really is okay to watch some ads in return for free (or very low priced in the case of cable) TV.

FORT Fogey

veruka--let me put it this way--the first ten times I heard about Twitter I found it interesting.

the last 100 times I've heard it pushed by The View and other ABC ostensible "news shows" I find I have the opposite of interest in it.

IE--their 'strategy' is having the opposite effect on some of us than the one they want it to be.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3419651;
    veruka--let me put it this way--the first ten times I heard about Twitter I found it interesting.

the last 100 times I've heard it pushed by The View and other ABC ostensible "news shows" I find I have the opposite of interest in it.

IE--their 'strategy' is having the opposite effect on some of us than the one they want it to be.
    It may be having the opposite effect on you, but their subscriber numbers show that the strategy is VERY successful with many. Their subscriber base grew by 758% in 2008, and they're getting up to 10,000 new subscribers a day this year. Those subscribers are coming from somewhere.

I'm with you Steppemaster. I'm so sick of hearing about Twitter I could scream. But then, I've never been one to follow the crowd anyway.

I did find it funny when they were trying to get Barbara to tell her screen name or whatever it's called and Whoopi kept saying that wouldn't be a good idea. Then when Barbara said her screen name, Whoopi put her finger up to her temple and mimed shooting herself in the head.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread