+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3399778;
    wow ... you learn something new everyday. i had no idea that's how it starts either. i just assumed the nuts weren't being cleaned off well enough too.

To be really clear about this--food can be contaminated by Salmonella either on the inside (from the soil) or on the outsaide--workers not washing their hands, food processing machines not being cleaned thoroughly, etc.

The peanut contamination was external--on the outside due to bad testing and maintenance in the processing factory.

The spinach and the pistachios contaminations are internal.

I'm not surprised most people don't know about this difference--it is hardly ever mentioned by the news readers who say the same things over and over again from original reports and almost necer give root causes or context for anything (like economic conditions, wars, etc)

I am watching the flight simulator segment right now--somebody gag EH--please!!!

What did they tell her--that the segment was hers to do and say anything she wanted to?

IMO she's the one who is really nervous and that's why she keeps interupting and talking so much.

This is yet another example of EH's thinking she knows something about science etc when she actually knows nothing at all.

And yes I had to turn it off too.

How disappointing.

A lot of people could have learned a lot from that segment--if it hadn't been for Motor-Mouth.

Also, while I'm on a roll, with regard to their lack of factual information I'm sure they'd always fall back on their entertainment status rather than being an actual news show, but I don't think that's any excuse to be so slap-dash.
    The guy who comes in at 4am to research Hot Topics could roll up at 10.55 and do an equally (in)competent job.
    Do they really consider AI a Hot Topic twice a week?
    I understand them mentioning DWTS as it's on the same network, but attention to AI seems another opportunity for Geddie to get all hot and bothered by seeing Elisabeth get excited about something.

They rarely seem to discuss any actual issues, but I guess that might be a good thing considering how inaccurate they are most of the time.
    Hot Topics might as well be called "What I watched on tv last night."

There's clearly no requirement for the panel to do any homework.
    "You're in a new movie, correct?" passes for a question during guest interviews.
    I think Elisabeth is the worst for that. Give out a factual piece of information (you have two children, you once worked with X) slap "correct" or "right" on the end and think you've asked a question.
    The guest will often just answer "yes" and the conversation grounds to a halt until someone quickly follows up with "tell us about that".
    Such a lazy style of interviewing.

ETA. forgot to add, when it comes to stopping a conversation stone dead Joy's jokes are often very effective.
    Last edited by fluff; 04-01-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3400246;
    Also, while I'm on a roll, with regard to their lack of factual information I'm sure they'd always fall back on their entertainment status rather than being an actual news show, but I don't think that's any excuse to be so slap-dash.
    The guy who comes in at 4am to research Hot Topics could roll up at 10.55 and do an equally (in)competent job.
    I understand them mentioning DWTS as it's on the same network, but attention to AI seems another opportunity for Geddie to get all hot and bothered by seeing Elisabeth get excited about something.

They rarely seem to discuss any actual issues, but I guess that might be a good thing considering how inaccurate they are most of the time.

"You're in a new movie, correct?" passes for a question during guest interviews.
    I think Elisabeth is the worst for that. Give out a factual piece of information (you have two children, you once worked with X) slap "correct" or "right" on the end and think you've asked a question.
    The guest will often just answer "yes" and the conversation grounds to a halt until someone quickly follows up with "tell us about that".
    The interesting thing about the whole "we're an entertainment show" is that it's a fallback that they use when convenient, but then get offended by it at other times. You're absolutely right that they hand out misinformation quite often on a range of topics. But then at other times - like the infamous John McCain interview - they justify what they do and how they do it by claiming that people rely on them for information. They can't have it both ways. Either they need to really hunker down and do their research to make sure that speculation is not mistaken for news, or else they need to accept being an entertainment program and be open to ligh fun interviews, even when theyr'e during a general election. There is definitely a sliding scale on standards that comes from them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3400246;

Fluff--you're right of course.

I guess I just expect more of Whoopi--like her trying to say things that are true about whatever subject she si talking about and not just relying on what someone else has told her.

And--I guess Meredith Viera's more journalistic approach to actual news spoiled me for that too.

Btw--most of what's been said by the hosts of The View about the financial crises has not been true. It's been opinion parading as "fact."

Their guests on the subject have been a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3400264;
    The interesting thing about the whole "we're an entertainment show" is that it's a fallback that they use when convenient, but then get offended by it at other times. You're absolutely right that they hand out misinformation quite often on a range of topics. But then at other times - like the infamous John McCain interview - they justify what they do and how they do it by claiming that people rely on them for information. They can't have it both ways. Either they need to really hunker down and do their research to make sure that speculation is not mistaken for news, or else they need to accept being an entertainment program and be open to ligh fun interviews, even when theyr'e during a general election. There is definitely a sliding scale on standards that comes from them.
    You've hit the nail square on the head as far as I'm concerned.

The choice is theirs but they need to pick it and stick to it.
    If they choose to consider themselves a valid source for information they need to make sure what they put out is factual.
    If not, admit you're just a bunch of women yapping about stuff.
    There's nothing wrong with that, call it like it is.
    This inbetween nonsense is frustrating.

Whoopi can put on an authoritative tone that automatically seems to give her statements validity despite the fact she may be a long way clear of the facts.

I also think the McCain interview gave them kudos that that didn't really deserve.
    I don't think they were hard on him, but I do think they were tough with him.

Even if one could argue that Joy and Barbara set out to slam him, IIRC, the question that got the biggest negative reaction from the audience was posed by Elisabeth, i.e. his position on Roe v Wade. I doubt she wanted to paint him in a bad light, I just think she miscalculated the support there would be among the audience for his (and her) position. She should know better considering there is often not a lot of support for her in the studio.

They seemed to think of themselves as a valid news source for a while after that interview, particularly after Cindy McCain's comment about having their bones picked clean.
    They dined out on that interview for a while.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3400383;

I also think the McCain interview gave them kudos that that didn't really deserve.
    I don't think they were hard on him, but I do think they were tough with him.

Even if one could argue that Joy and Barbara set out to slam him, IIRC, the question that got the biggest negative reaction from the audience was posed by Elisabeth, i.e. his position on Roe v Wade. I doubt she wanted to paint him in a bad light, I just think she miscalculated the support there would be among the audience for his (and her) position. She should know better considering there is often not a lot of support for her in the studio.

They seemed to think of themselves as a valid news source for a while after that interview, particularly after Cindy McCain's comment about having their bones picked clean.
    They dined out on that interview for a while.

I would actually say in the McCain interview they were hard on him, but not tough on him, and to me, there's a difference. I consider hard to be bad, and tough to be very good and professional. Hard is being difficult with a desire to make the interviewee look foolish. Tough is asking challenging questions, and really listening to the answers in an attempt to learn information. I saw the McCain interview as a vent session with a punching back present more so than a true news worthy interview.

The other thing the McCain interview did which I find incredibly stupid on the show's part is that I think it cost them other candidate interviews. After Gore made a good impression on Oprah in 2000, George W Bush had no choice but to BEG to get on her show too. Given Oprah's support of Obama and subsequent choice not to interview candidates in 2008, The View was poised to be the new stop in daytime that you had to make if you wanted to get elected. However, even though he knew he had more supporters than McCain, after seeing the way they went after McCain, I don't think Obama could afford to consider going back on The View. No smart politician would take that risk. It cost them Obama, and likely cost them Biden and Palin as well ... not to mention future campaign cycles. So was it really worth it?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3400399;
    I would actually say in the McCain interview they were hard on him, but not tough on him, and to me, there's a difference. I consider hard to be bad, and tough to be very good and professional. Hard is being difficult with a desire to make the interviewee look foolish. Tough is asking challenging questions, and really listening to the answers in an attempt to learn information. I saw the McCain interview as a vent session with a punching back present more so than a true news worthy interview.

The other thing the McCain interview did which I find incredibly stupid on the show's part is that I think it cost them other candidate interviews. After Gore made a good impression on Oprah in 2000, George W Bush had no choice but to BEG to get on her show too. Given Oprah's support of Obama and subsequent choice not to interview candidates in 2008, The View was poised to be the new stop in daytime that you had to make if you wanted to get elected. However, even though he knew he had more supporters than McCain, after seeing the way they went after McCain, I don't think Obama could afford to consider going back on The View. No smart politician would take that risk. It cost them Obama, and likely cost them Biden and Palin as well ... not to mention future campaign cycles. So was it really worth it?

I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the media during the campaign but I had not heard this about the McCain interivew "costing them Obama.

Where was this said? Did they say it on the program?

IK'd be very interested in that because Obama had been their guest before--when one of his books came out.

There were a lot of interview-type programs that some of the major candidates ddid not appear on. For example neither Obama nor Clinton did Charlie Rose--which most other candidates did.

Clinton didn't do The View either--which a lot of people considered to have been a natural get.

Ditto for Sarah Palin.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3400450;
    I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the media during the campaign but I had not heard this about the McCain interivew "costing them Obama.

Where was this said? Did they say it on the program?

IK'd be very interested in that because Obama had been their guest before--when one of his books came out.

There were a lot of interview-type programs that some of the major candidates ddid not appear on. For example neither Obama nor Clinton did Charlie Rose--which most other candidates did.

Clinton didn't do The View either--which a lot of people considered to have been a natural get.

Ditto for Sarah Palin.

It is speculation on my part - not repeating of a news story. Prior to the McCain interview, they had made several comments about working on getting Obama, that Obama had said he was coming back, etc. After the McCain interview, their comments changed from 'going to" to "want him to". If I were advising Obama, there was no way I'd let him go on The View after seeing the McCain interview. McCain looked bad in it - take that for the advantage it would be for the camapign. If Obama goes on and gets grilled as well, the playing field is levelled. If Obama goes on and doens't get grilled, it would have added fodder to the "media is soft on Obama" rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3400399;
    I don't think McCain needed any help to look foolish.
    I really think both he and Cindy underestimated the panel and thought it would just be a cozy chat.
    I think he expected to be able to sidestep and/or deflect questions and was ill-prepared when it became obvious they wanted answers, or at least better answers than the ones he had intended to give.
    I don't want to rehash the whole thing, but I do think Babs was somewhat rude to him as she wouldn't make eye-contact and I do think Joy was out of line to call him a liar, but I also think he was lying, she could have just beena bit more diplomatic.
    I still say Elisabeth did him the most harm that day with her question, or at least his response to her question caused the most negative reaction.

I see what you're saying, but don't agree completely with your assessment of the interview, but I have to admit I watched it once, live on the day and am going purely from memory.

Now, as for the show today, I think the flight simulator was pointless.
    It seems as though Whoopi did the bulk of her meaningful training yesterday and I don't see how anything that happened during that segment today an have possibly help her fear of flying.
    It was so frantic with Bitsy screeching and barely shutting up through the entire piece.
    It put me on edge and I have no fear of flying but I do now have a fear of being seated next to that banshee.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think that what they did today with the flight simulator was to show people what was out there to help the phobic individuals...or the, merely, very skittish people, like me.

Wonder if we can still review the McCain interview on youtube? I'd like to watch it again, since the show is so dull right now.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread