+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1628Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3398195;
    what is twitter anyway?
    It's a social networking site that in many ways, was built more for mobile devices than for computer internet use, although it uses both. The idea is that people post short, quick "blogs" of what they're doing / thinking. You connect with other people who can "follow" you to see what you're up to, and you see what they're doing. You can also post pictures of what youre doing, etc. It's very similar to Facebook or MySpace, but was originally intended for more portable use.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3397742;
    Hey! Let us curmudgeons not forget that the verb for "Twitter" is "tweet"/"tweeting", not "twittering". Congrats steppe on your proper usage!

I apparently have seen all the explanations of Twitter on the various shows so I'd better get the jargon right.

Additional info about 'what is Twitter"--each reply is limited to 140 characters total--so each message is very short.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3398197;
    It's a social networking site that in many ways, was built more for mobile devices than for computer internet use, although it uses both. The idea is that people post short, quick "blogs" of what they're doing / thinking. You connect with other people who can "follow" you to see what you're up to, and you see what they're doing. You can also post pictures of what youre doing, etc. It's very similar to Facebook or MySpace, but was originally intended for more portable use.

thank you...I"m so technically challenged....
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I have even been hearing about Twitter on public radio lately. This morning they mentioned that there is a Twitter app that lets your PLANTS send you a tweet when they need to be watered. After you water them you get a follow-up tweet thanking you for the watering!

Despite all of the media coverage, I have no intention (or desire) to Twitter.

I am always amazed and amused by the amount of people who have no problem at all in posting pics/personal information, etc. on internet sites and / or having cell phone conversations at a volume level that enables half of the free world to hear said "private" conversations.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3398545;
    I am always amazed and amused by the amount of people who have no problem at all in posting pics/personal information, etc. on internet sites and / or having cell phone conversations at a volume level that enables half of the free world to hear said "private" conversations.
    Oh, how I agree. I see pictures of people's entire families and wonder what they're thinking. Over the years I've exchanged pictures with many of the friends I've made on these boards but never would I put my picture or any picture of a member of my family on a public board. I gives me chills to think about hanging them out for the world to see.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i saw an ad for tomorrow's oprah ... star jones is going to be on talking about her weight loss and how she couldn't tell the truth about it.

FORT Fogey

I think that EH made a good--though inadvertent--point about Tweeting. She said she was tweeting with Sherri.

IMO if Whoopi and/or Joy had friends/family who were on Twitter they would probably be on too.

If you have no one to do it with--then why bother?

I notice that a lot of show hosts--like Ellen etc are now advertising for Twitter followers. Ellen is even challenging her audience to sign up so she can have over 200,000 followers.

IMO it all depends what you're interested in. They're already reporting that most stars and many politicians hire someone to to their tweeting for them.

I personally see it as glorified IMing but with a lot of people at once and not just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3398828;

IMO if Whoopi and/or Joy had friends/family who were on Twitter they would probably be on too.

I don't know about Joy but I really doubt that Whoopi would ever get into something like Twitter, no matter how many friends and family were doing it first.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Whoop always says that she doesn't like things like that, so I don't think she'd be doing it, escpecially because it is soooo lame.

I just don't get why anyone would be interested in when you breathe in and breathe out, and where.

Alright, Lil Bit, GMTA!! High five, girl!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread