Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3337060;
    Nope, only racial.
    Yep, as always. Sure gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3337206;
    Yep, as always. Sure gets old.
    Imagine how old it would get if you were the one that it was being directed at.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Excellent post, Lil Bit!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3337188;
    But Nancy Pelosi wrote the bill not obama. I took it as SHE was as dumb as an ape.
    Except women are not usually compared to chimps.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Another excellent post, sukee!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3337393;
    Except women are not usually compared to chimps.
    But the "police" that shot the ape said "now we will have to get someone else to write the next stimulus bill" and since Nancy Pelosi wrote the first bill it was directed at her.
    That is how I took it when I saw it the day that it came out and being a female I was offended even though I am against the bill and do not like NP. It was a slam on a woman in politics.

Sometimes, 'denial' can be more than just a river in Egypt, too....but if you don't know, you just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3337493;
    But the "police" that shot the ape said "now we will have to get someone else to write the next stimulus bill" and since Nancy Pelosi wrote the first bill it was directed at her.
    That is how I took it when I saw it the day that it came out and being a female I was offended even though I am against the bill and do not like NP. It was a slam on a woman in politics.
    I don't see it that way at all.
    I don't think it matters who wrote the bill really. Obama is the President and I think most people would associate any bills passed with him.

I don't even think it matters what the original intention of the cartoon was, the fact is the cartoon was open to interpretation and that is dangerous considering the history of comparing black people to apes.

Obviously people can take it however they want it.
    My feeling is that thecartoonist knew exactly what he was doing and I think to say it was directed at Pelosi is to let him off the hook.

To bring this back to the show though, the audience laughed when Babs insisted the issue was that the chimp was black. She clearly didn't get it at all. Sherri and Elisabeth both made good points about how potentially harmful this image could be.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Maybe I am somewhere along that river without realizing it, but I didn't interpret it as racist or sexist. I thought the cartoonist used the story of Travis the chimp to make fun of our legislative branch in general as a bunch of incompetent monkeys putting together the stimulus package, kind of like that old commercial (sorry, can't remember for what) that portrayed the corporation run by monkeys... in the board room, at the copier, etc... while the business tanked. Now I do realize how bad it is that we can so easily make a leap from that to the ugly connotations that are currently being talked about, but I just don't think that was the intent of the original joke. I do see the point about how potentially harmful the image could be... maybe this is a case of 20/20 hindsight for the cartoonist? But more on topic, I agree that Barbara was off the mark (again) about even what made it potentially insulting.
    remember to play

For once, I was proud of Elisabeth. Even SHE got it.

+ Reply to Thread