+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1548Likes

Thread: The View

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3325499;
    I don't think it's good to draw divorces out. Get it done and over with. Makes for too many false hopes out there. Of course, some people simply don't believe in divorce. I had an attorney who had been away from his wife for decades (I'm pretty sure he was Catholic), and he said that he would never divorce his childrens' mother, but he was actively dating other women. The last time I talked to him, he had placed his wife in a nursing home.

I have heard Jada Pinkett Smith say that divorce would never be an option for she and Will Smith. Of course, it doesn't appear that there would be a need for one, anyway.
    Are they Catholic? (I know, off topic!)

I don't know about Jada, but I've spent about half my life doing things I said I'd NEVER do.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

To my knowledge, they are not Catholic.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3326223;
    To my knowledge, they are not Catholic.
    I don't think they are, either. They just both decided that divorce was not an option. It was more so they would work out problems instead of just walking away.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3326883;
    I don't think they are, either. They just both decided that divorce was not an option. It was more so they would work out problems instead of just walking away.
    Exactly. I've heard each of them talking about their outlook on various occasions, and it makes a great deal of sense. Now I would guess that if something extreme were to happen, where one felt his or her life was in danger by remaining married, they'd change their tune. But their general sentiment is that the commitment they made was for life -- kind of the polar opposite of the "Oh I don't know that marriage is forever" sentiment that both Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston used to discuss in interviews (and then made come true). So, when they face problems, they face them as a unit that needs to figure out how to fix it to live together forever, rather than as two individuals that will stick around if they don't have to give up too much.

I don't think divorce should be drawn out either, I just didn't think it was cool of BW to be so condescending to Sherri about it. There must be reasons that they have not yet finalized the divorce (if they even filed) and that's her business.

I also think that Jada and Will Smith's view is not very realistic (divorce never an option). There are things that can happen in a marriage that, even with hard work to fix it, can not be fixed. So they would rather stay married and miserable than divorce? Then again, it's been said that they have a very liberal marriage.

Saying that, no one should go into a marriage and think 'well if this doesn't work out than I can always get a divorce'.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors of the homes of others. Folks do what they do for whatever reasons they do it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3327018;
    Saying that, no one should go into a marriage and think 'well if this doesn't work out than I can always get a divorce'.

I heard a Will Smith interview that stated just this. Too many people go into a marriage with the "if it doesn't work there is always divorce" attitude. He didn't want that. That's where the "divorce is not an option" comes from. If you don't look at it as an option, you tend to be more willing to work out the problems. Of course divorce does happen, but it should be over something big.

Yeah, like bruises or other such distasteful, undebatable things.

I'd give my right left arm to see 'Shrek, The Musical'! Even more to be in it!!!

And how tacky of my girl, Whoopi, to say that she had dropped an 'air biscuit' in that audience section!!! :nono

+ Reply to Thread