+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree983Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3294477;
    Yeah, that's right. There has never been a case of an intelligent person working for an imbecile. Never. I can't imagine how anyone ever managed to conceive of such an unlikely concept and it is beyond the scope of my ability to comprehend how and why soooooo many people the world over have complaints about the abilities and intellect of their individual bosses.
    Rattus,

Just perfect summation. Thanks.

I happen to really like Condi Rice, as well. Definitely an accomplished woman.

FORT Fogey

I've got to admit, with all of thsoe people out there who are confident that they'r so much smarter than their individual bosses ... if that is the case, why is the person of lesser intelligence presumably getting paid more, holding more power, and a higher position. I'll admit, I've been lucky in my working life, and have worked for some great, and intelligent bosses. I know there are some cases out there where an idiot is in poewr for a host of reasons and DOES have smarter people working UNDER him or her. But there are also a heck of a lot of cases where a person decides that he or she is smarter, and is willing to declare it, but doesnt' have the goods to back it up. Honestly, I'd say Rosie O'Donnel working under Barbara Walters would be a great example of that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3294458;
    I totally agree, just based on how super intelligent Condaleeza Rice is she wouldn't have agreed to keep working for him if he were as stupid as Joy likes to make out!
    My brother was in business school with W. He did NOT impress his fellow classmates, sat in the back didn't say much, seemed more interested in trying to impress them with his flight jacket than the classes (which went down real well with the real Vietnam vets as you might imagine). Of course maybe he just wasn't interested and didn't apply himself, whereas when he was President.... hmm, no, that doesn't work either....
    I think sometimes smart people work for less intelligent people when they see that they can use their position to get things done that they want to get done, and that it's worth it to reach their goals--even if the less intelligent person has the job for reasons such as nepotism (not implying that's the only reason W had the job).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3294630;
    My brother was in business school with W. He did NOT impress his fellow classmates, sat in the back didn't say much, seemed more interested in trying to impress them with his flight jacket than the classes (which went down real well with the real Vietnam vets as you might imagine). Of course maybe he just wasn't interested and didn't apply himself, whereas when he was President.... hmm, no, that doesn't work either....
    I think sometimes smart people work for less intelligent people when they see that they can use their position to get things done that they want to get done, and that it's worth it to reach their goals--even if the less intelligent person has the job for reasons such as nepotism (not implying that's the only reason W had the job).
    Given that the people who have known Bush for the longest, and know him the best -- a list that includes people like his wife, his siblings, and his parents -- will readily admit that the George W Bush pre-1990s was an entirely different person than the George W Bush post-1990s, I'm not sure that basing a judgement of the man as president on his behavior in MBA school is really the most accurate. I would not doubt the asessment of Bush in school that you've outlined for an instant. But the acknowledged change and growing up in him is said to have been so drastic that using that as the basis of judgement seems to me like someone saying he knew Bill Gates in Kindergarten, and the guy coudln't even do basic arithmetic or write his own name, so there's no possible way he came up with Windows.

I cannot address Bush's smarts, but I can address that a majority of bosses are not qualified to be where they are. I've been on both sides throughout my career - esp. since being a consultant. Some people prefer to hire people who are as smart or smarter than they are. Unfortunately, far too many are threatened by smart people. I actually found out that one particularly odious VP was hired and kept on because none of the prior incumbents could deal with the vocal rantings of the superior. All the rest left in quick succession. THis is, unfortunately, just 1 of far too many examples I've seen through the years.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wonder why Condoleezza Rice is not usually addressed as Dr. Condoleezza Rice? I'm sure she worked hard for that title.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3295027;
    I cannot address Bush's smarts, but I can address that a majority of bosses are not qualified to be where they are. I've been on both sides throughout my career - esp. since being a consultant. Some people prefer to hire people who are as smart or smarter than they are. Unfortunately, far too many are threatened by smart people. I actually found out that one particularly odious VP was hired and kept on because none of the prior incumbents could deal with the vocal rantings of the superior. All the rest left in quick succession. THis is, unfortunately, just 1 of far too many examples I've seen through the years.
    I don't think a smart person would feel threatened by someone that is smarter. I also think that is takes a smart person to know that hiring smarter people will make them more successful.

Take The View for example. BW was hands on in the planning and hiring of the women that she wanted to represent her each day. She hired Meredeth, Star, Debbie and Joy. Debbie wasn't as smart as she wanted so she hired Lisa. These women were smart enough to keep the show in the top slot so that BW did not have to be "in the office" so to speak anymore then once a week.
    As we all know, BW's mind isn't what it was 10+ years ago and well, neither is The View.
    I am sure that BW was never threatened by the smartness of Lisa or Star or Meredeth. She knew that she needed them to get what SHE wanted to accomplish.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3295118;
    I don't think a smart person would feel threatened by someone that is smarter. I also think that is takes a smart person to know that hiring smarter people will make them more successful.

Take The View for example. BW was hands on in the planning and hiring of the women that she wanted to represent her each day. She hired Meredeth, Star, Debbie and Joy. Debbie wasn't as smart as she wanted so she hired Lisa. These women were smart enough to keep the show in the top slot so that BW did not have to be "in the office" so to speak anymore then once a week.
    As we all know, BW's mind isn't what it was 10+ years ago and well, neither is The View.
    I am sure that BW was never threatened by the smartness of Lisa or Star or Meredeth. She knew that she needed them to get what SHE wanted to accomplish.
    Using The View to illustrate it also brings out another very relevant point -- "smarts" per se is not all that really matters. Of all the women who've been on The View, even taking the annoyance factor into consideration, Barbara Walters hands down is the most accomplished when it comes to producing good TV. Whoopi may give her a run for her money now, but judging the full context of her career, there are few in television who could really challenge BW in terms of accomplishment and understanding how to produce good TV. It's not all about smarts -- it's about the FULL picture of producing good work, regardless of the field. There are many many times when those in lower ranks can look at the higher ranking people, declare "I could do that better" without having a clue what goes on responsibility wise when the door is closed, or after hours when the underlings are at home, and the bosses are still grinding away.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3295076;
    Wonder why Condoleezza Rice is not usually addressed as Dr. Condoleezza Rice? I'm sure she worked hard for that title.
    Elisabeth was the only one I saw addressing her that way. I agree, she should be addressed with the title she worked hard for.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3294033;
    Good job all of you that caught the baby bump. She's pregnant.

Hope when she take materinty leave she leaves for good.

+ Reply to Thread