+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1563Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Ann Coulter also claimed the 9/11 widows were happy that their husbands were dead so they could get money and be famous. She is truly a piece of trash and any show that books her sells a huge chuck of their soul to do it. There are ways to disagree and make your point without being all out nasty. Ann revels in the nasty. Truly trash.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3274645;

I thought Sherri showed some spunk, but Elisabeth was pretty quiet. At least until Joy dissed her BFF Sarah.
    Elisabeth stood up to her, too. She is the one that asked why blame the mom but not the absent dad. I think she was equally peeved with AC.

I also like that they didn't hand the book out to the audience.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;3275029;
    The thing with Thom Felicia (the designer who did the dressing room makeovers) was actually scheduled in advance, and it isn't at all unusual for them to cut in pretty abruptly to commercial when there's a guest, and return with a new segment. I think it just seemed noticeable because it had been such a heated discussion. Thom Felicia was there to announce the contest that the View and Kimberly-Clark are doing, the "Room-A-Day" thing. It's a shame that got a little lost in the Ann Coulter hubbub, because it looks like a really cool contest.
    I agree with your take Toby. Today was one of those days that I love that I can read others takes on the show before watching it when i get home. It allows me to watch for the cues that people are talking about. The Thom Felicia segment was absolutely teased at the opening of the show. THere's no doubt in my mind that Ann Coulter was only ever intended to appear in one segment. Towards the end, it seemed like Whoopi was rushing to get in everything they all wanted to say, which is another key sign that they didn't have an opportunity to come back for further discussion.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i just finished watching yesterday's segment with ann coulter.

WOW.

and go whoopie!
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 01-13-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: to fix a typo

FORT Fogey

I was beyond proud of Whoopi today dealing with the Ann Coulter aftermath. Barbara made a comment about yesterday's show, and Whoopi instantly said "That was yesterday's show, and it's over". No more publicity for Ann. Nothing for her to claim to be picked on about. THey fulfilled their obligation, and that was it. Go Whoopi!

Joy was acting very weird and timid at the beginning of the show yesterday. Then during the second segment I noticed that Whoopi was acting the same way. So after watching some body language signs (thanks to my slow-mo button on my TiVo), I realized that Babara was the problem. (Remember when Joy asked Barbara, "Geez will you let me finish"?)

Barbara continues over and over again (during Hot Topics) to interrupt and stop the others from sharing their "view" and opinions. On the outside looking in, it seems as if some of the women are getting tired of it.

FORT Fogey

Today--Tuesdy--at one point during the Hot Topics segment Whoopi said something like--"Yesterday's show--over and gone."

And from the tone of her voice she still sounded upset.

IMO something did happen with Coulter and that's why everything was so abrupt.

Otherwise I don't think Whoopi would have mentioned it.

(They didn't thank her for coming on the show-for example--which they often do with their guestrs)

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3277418;
    (They didn't thank her for coming on the show-for example--which they often do with their guestrs)
    She should thank them.....I do not understand why these shows even book her as a guest. If they do not promote her or her books then they will not sell. Her spot on The View was pretty predictable and I can't imagine it was that much of a ratings grabber.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Prittieboy;3276867;

Barbara continues over and over again (during Hot Topics) to interrupt and stop the others from sharing their "view" and opinions. On the outside looking in, it seems as if some of the women are getting tired of it.
    I think that Whoopi's comment on it today said a great deal. The women have made enough comments about it over the past few years that we all know that Barbara complains all the time about them talking over each other. They've made many jokes about her calling in on days she's off to let it be known they were talking over each other and she didn't like it. I think it's a great example of one of those things a person says they don't like seeing in others, but not realizing it, actually do themselves. Barbara says not to do it, does it herself, and probably has no idea. Barbara obviously goes back and forth on the whole thing, since yesterday she first said "let me finish" then interrupted herself, then got annoyed when Whoopi stopped talking and acknowledged she was being talked over. I think that's why she made the comment about being hired as the moderator so the rules she has to play by are a little different. It seemed to me like a rare moment when Whoopi was showing the way she'd respnod behind the scenes while on the show instead.

It's a tough "issue" for a show like that to overcome. If the overtalking gets too bad, the audience has no idea what anyone said and it takes away from watching it -- and opens them up to being mocked and ridiculed on shows like SNL. But if they're too careful to not talk over each other, then the passion and excitement is removed from the show, leaving it boring. I don't think there's an absolute rule that can be enforced and they should just move past it.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3277418;
    Today--Tuesdy--at one point during the Hot Topics segment Whoopi said something like--"Yesterday's show--over and gone."

And from the tone of her voice she still sounded upset.

IMO something did happen with Coulter and that's why everything was so abrupt.

Everything was abrubt because they had a ton of material to cover and a small amount of time to cover it. Whoopi has been very direct in the past about her feelings in giving someone like Ann Coulter publicity by talking about them -- she doesn't like it. She's a pro, she knows it is not HER show, so she can't reject having her on all together. But she can limit extending that publicity by not talking about her further, which is why I think she made the comment she did. Think about how many times they've had a discussion about it being a shame that a celebrity can't go through a tough time privately instead of having it dissected by everyone -- Whoopi is usually the one to point out that they're contributing to what they're lamenting by talking about it, and moves past it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prittieboy;3276867;

And the most annoying part of all is that she usually interrupts them to tell everyone what the other person she just interrupted was already in the middle to telling everyone anyway. It's like she feels no one can tell the story as good as she can.

And then of course there are the times (pretty much everytime she's on) that she'll interrupt the guests (and other cohosts) before they've even finished a sentence. Usually her interruption is to inject a completely new subject or topic that has nothing to do with the original question or comment posed.

To me, she's the single most annoying person on television. Larry King runs a very close second.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread