+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Regular

Re: The View

These days, if a parent tries to discipline a child in public, someone will call DFAC on them.

I was in a restaurant once back in the 90's and we had just got up to leave when this little boy who had been running wild throughout our meal came up to me and kicked me in the back of the leg! I grabbed his arm and said something like, "why did you kick me?", when his mom came over and just screeched at me because I was "hurting her little boy." I asked her if she had seen him kick me and she said he didn't mean it. I said it sure felt like he meant it. It was starting to get heated when a woman I assume was the grandma stepped in and made her daughter sit down and tried to get the brat to apologize. He wouldn't. Just cried and pouted and they let him get away with it. If I remember right, the manager of the restaurant gave us a gift certificate for our next visit, even though I told him that it wasn't his fault.

These days, if a parent tries to discipline a child in public, someone will call DFAC on them.
    That's why you take the kid in the bathroom to "discipline" them.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3268281;
    That's when I would have turned around and told the kid to stop kicking my seat or he'd be sitting on the wing for the rest of the trip.

I have done it too. Not just in planes, but in stores, in theaters, etc. It's MY money I'm spending and I will not be inconvenienced by someone else's bad behavior. I dont' bother speaking to the parents either. I take it directly to the source, the child. Usually stops too and I have yet to have a parent get angry. Usually they are embarrassed and apologize.
    The problem is the parents, they let their kids behave badly in public, think they are darlings and do not discipline their children. Some parents are :

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3268427;
    The problem is the parents, they let their kids behave badly in public, think they are darlings and do not discipline their children. Some parents are :
    Too many "parents" are too busy trying to be liked by their children. They want to be their "friends" instead of the parent.

I agree about the public ones. I think my biggest pet peeve are the kids in stores that are allowed to run wildly around where ever when the mom (usually it's mom) is shopping. Up and down aisles, in clothing stores in the racks. I've been in a changing room where the door didn't go to the floor and suddenly there was a child peer at me under the door. No parent to be found.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

My friend Anna used to tell my kids that she was gonna rip their lips off when they misbehaved in public. They always straightened up, but she got a few (a lot of) weird looks from fellow adults!

FORT Regular

Today was a great day...............no Joy!!

I did find it humorous that Barbara is coaching Sherri on child rearing. Didn't BW's kid have a lot of problems growing up?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NannaV;3268646;
    Today was a great day...............no Joy!!

I did find it humorous that Barbara is coaching Sherri on child rearing. Didn't BW's kid have a lot of problems growing up?
    Barabara has been very open about some of the drug and legal problems her daughter faced as a teenager, but I don't think that in any way means that Barbara's views on parenting are invalid. There are many many teens out there who are raised by GREAT parents, and still get into trouble with drugs, alcohol, or rebelling in other ways that leads to legal troubles. And even if Barbara's mothering did contribute in her daughter's case (she has taken some of the blame herself) if a person makes mistakes and learns from them, seems to me it puts her in a good position to be able to share with others a message of "Don't make the mistakes I did". Lastly, if the blame is going to be placed on Barbara for her daughter's adolecent troubles, then I'd say that the praise should also be given to her for the woman her daughter is today -- someone who grew from her mistakes and found a way to help other teens get past theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3268503;
    My friend Anna used to tell my kids that she was gonna rip their lips off when they misbehaved in public. They always straightened up, but she got a few (a lot of) weird looks from fellow adults!
    I'll never forget the time that my cousin and I were shopping with our two toddlers and her little boy was acting out something awful. She pulled his pants down and spanked his fat little bottom right in the aisle of a Sears store. I didn't go back in that store for twenty years.

i try not to ever give anyone child rearing advice. I don't think they'd listen and I doubt that they care what I think. Sherri probably didn't care what Barbara had to say either.
    Last edited by Muduh; 01-07-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It sounded to me like Sherri was trying to follow BW's advice, and is going to be trying it again tonight. Sherri wouldn't have been so tired today if she had never allowed that foolishness to get started in the first place. Sherri has got to grow a backbone, where her son is concerned.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread