+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1338Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3256753;
    Okay... how's this for a world of delusion?? There are reports out over the last several days that Barbara Walters is blaming Rosie for ruining HER (Baba's) career!!!!! Barbara says apparently her own numbers have been dropping since the Rosie debacle.. so she thinks that it's all Rosie's fault.

It has nothing to do with the fact that she's irrelevant, she interrupts constantly, she tells the same stories ad nauseum, she's a story killer, etc... Nooooooooo... *sigh*

She kicked Star off the show because of her personal ratings. Perhaps she will decide to exit the show gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3257945;
    Even for charity I think $200 is a little much for many of the general public to rationalize spending on something like perfume. But then again my house payment is like $350 so I look at that and think that's almost a house payment that I'm going to waste on perfume. I prefer to donate directly to charity and not in roundabout ways like purchasing items since very small amounts of the money actually make it to the charity. That red/ONE(?) campaign was relaly good for that pennies on the dollar were going to charity.
    I agree with you and barefoot. I actually prefer helping people I know personally or at least know of. I don't care to help pay some big shots salary, but want every penny I can contribute to go for the intended cause. For that very reason, I haven't bought those over priced Girl Scout cookies in years.

My husband spent years arguing that he didn't intend to contribute to United Way. He got a good talking to more than once. Some of the causes they support here are things we don't want our money going to.

FORT Newbie

I can't stand any of them so never watch, just wish they show would be canceled or get new hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3258370;
    I agree with you and barefoot. I actually prefer helping people I know personally or at least know of. I don't care to help pay some big shots salary, but want every penny I can contribute to go for the intended cause. For that very reason, I haven't bought those over priced Girl Scout cookies in years.

My husband spent years arguing that he didn't intend to contribute to United Way. He got a good talking to more than once. Some of the causes they support here are things we don't want our money going to.
    I won't do united way things either. And boy is there is a universal guilt trip when you don't do that at a work place that is trying to get 100% compliance. I have certain charities and organizations that I contribute to directly to make sure as much money as possible is getting to the intended cause.

Another example of pennies on the dollar are the Avon breast cancer things. The rep selling them gets no profit off of them and only a very very small percentage of the price of those things goes toward breast cancer research.

People need to educate themselves on what they are buying instead of just rationalizing a purchase by saying at least it's for charity because so little of that money goes toward charities. The rest goes toward the cost of design, manufacture, advertising and paying people and so forth.

Think of what would happen if everyone buying that perfume took that $200 and gave it to the charity.

I don't watch this show, but I do enjoy reading comments on the personalities. The charity issue.....I believe strongly in local. If I may suggest, one great way to be involved is to support your local agencies. Food banks and community pantries right now are especially hard hit by the economy. I'd much rather donate money or food directly there. For me, an everyday person, that 200$ represents a lot of beans and rice! Ok....I'll get off my soapbox and thank you guys for your patience!
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Pennies add up and if you are going to buy that type of product anyway, it doesn't hurt to choose one that has a portion going to charity. I bought a red Ipod Shuffle. I liked it as much as the other colors, but since part would go to charity I chose the red one. But I agree the best way to give to charity is to give directly. I hold a fundraiser for our local womens shelter each year and we have raised over $7000 so far. I have to admit that gives me a good feeling.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Pennies add up sure. I know a lot of people who bought those red products when they didn't need them or breast cancer ones when they didn't need them thinking that a substantial amount of that purchase going to support charity and they used that to rationalize the purchase. Instead of taking the entire cost of that product and donating it directly to charity.

I don't feel a need to rationalize my purchases. I don't need perfume. I certainly wouldn't pay $200 regularly for any perfume and I'm not going to rationalize buying a $200 perfume because a dime will go to the intended charity. If I want to donate $200 I'll donate $200 in its entirety to a charity to get my warm fuzzies.

I heard that only $10 of the cost of the red ipod shuffles went to charity. My sister bought one thinking that more of the money would go to charity and was rather shocked that the amount was so little.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I prefer to donate cash just to keep my name off their mailing lists.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

UGH, I just happened to have the TV on, and this show was on. I really can't stand ANY of these women, except Whoopie. I just want to smack Joy, Baba, and Sherri. Thank God EH is not on.

+ Reply to Thread