+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1809Likes

Thread: The View

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3252501;
    God bless Sherri, but I think she is going to have trouble with that parent/friend line. She's already trying to make sure that he's not mad at her. And I'd bet money that he knows that, already! What kid says, "Who's the boss?" Well, I guess ol' Jeffrey does, but he would have had his little baby feelings hurt at my house! You've also got to learn to pick your battles, and not waiver. Don't start something YOU are not prepared to finish and win with little people. It sure doesn't get any easier.
    Amen to that.

I think some of her trying to make sure he's not mad at her probably comes from guilt to a certain extent. Probably guilt that stems from the fact that she lives in one place and Jeffrey in another place so that when they she spends time with him she wants to ensure that she keeps him happy. But as you said, trying to be his friend isn't going to help matters any.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Hey BSL - I've seen you around these parts a lot and didn't notice that you live in Dartmouth - I'm in Southwest Nova - how goes it in your end of the province?
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3251753;
    Where did Glen Beck go?
    Exactly where he should be. LOL Now if only Lou Dobbs would join him.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3252248;
    How old is that little boy? Shouldn't he be past Binky stage?
    Exactly! He definately is not a baby.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3252530;
    Hey BSL - I've seen you around these parts a lot and didn't notice that you live in Dartmouth - I'm in Southwest Nova - how goes it in your end of the province?
    Yes...a diehard Dartmouthian... . Had no idea there were other fellow Maritimers on the boards. Cheers!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

I have to say, I really appreciated Whoopi's comments during the Binky discussion. It was definitely one of those moments on the show where having women of different walks of life and in different places played very well - Whoopi being able to bring the "been there done that" perspective. And I think at the end of the day, what she said is exactly right. The goal of parenting is to produce normal, stable adults. Each child is different, so the process of getting there is going to be different. Seeking and listening to advice is certainly needed, but a mother will drive herself nuts trying to keep up with the comparisons to other children and other mothers!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3252397;
    I don't think it's a matter of her being "unable to control him"; it is more a matter of her being unwilling to control him. She's just making their life more difficult, unnecessarily; if she decides to continue on down this chosen path, neither of them are going to be very happy. Some people just don't get that this is a game that parents really cannot afford to lose.
    Exactly! It is easier for her to give in so that seems like what she has decided to do. My kids actually like the boundaries. They like structure. They know when I say no games during the school week I'm not going to change my mind. Or if I say they have to be in bed at 9 then they better be in bed. Or if I tell them they better be inside when the street lights come on then they better be inside. No trying to bend the rules. If you constantly change your mind or give it that hurts then in the long run. As I said my kids actually like their routine and structure. Hope Sherri starts to realize that she needs to be parent instead of a friend to Jeffrey before it is too late........If Jeffrey was 2 then perhaps he would get a little wiggle room. However, he is almost 4 and it is time to set some boundaries right away........

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3252255;
    He will be 4 in April. I do believe he is waaay too old for the Binky.
    By about two years? Yep, he's the boss.

My advice to my daycare parents is always the same and it works for everyone: don't allow your child to start a pattern you aren't willing to continue. Finding a way to curb the pattern is the hard part - oh yeah and parents have to be ready and willing to administer some tough love. So what if your kid is mad at you at that particular moment, it could avoid some major issues in the long run.

Good thing Melissa Etheridge held herself in check today, I think she would have liked to smack Lizzy during the same sex marriage discussion. ME's people are probably having fainting spells though since she was supposed to be plugging her Christmas CD.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

why? what was the convo with these 2? I'll have to watch when I get home (luckily it runs at 5pm on the Star Channel)

We can't all have well adjusted, well behaved children, otherwise Super Nanny would be unemployed (my she finds the worst kids/families)......
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

+ Reply to Thread