+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

I never watched when Lisa was on the show, but I usually really like intelligent, worldly people so, I'm guessing I would have liked her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think when they put professional women on the view (such as Lisa or Meredith) they never actually get to shine really because they are overpowered but all the other stuff that goes one. When they get into environments that encourage what they do they really shine. Which is probably why the show really started to become something I avoid. It has become more like some circus sideshow than an intelligent morning conversation. It always had that sideshow quality but it feels worse in what I've seen lately.

I don't know. It's not the fault of anyone person but the combination of them all I think that does it for me. I almost feel like the network keeps it going because they don't want to infuriate Barbara sometimes.

FORT Fogey

Given the number of times that Meredith talked about not wearing underwear during her tenure on The View, I have a hard time swallowing the notion that she was such a professional woman who didn't get to shine in the chaos of the show.

I would also say that the problem with comparing either Meredith or Lisa to the show that it is today is that the show changed quite a bit after they left. For the negative she may have brought, Rosie did breath a new kind of life into the show, and changed the course of the topics they'd discuss. Prior to Meredith leaving, how many times do you honestly remember seeing a story on the news during the day and wondering "I wonder how the women on The View will deal with this tomorrow?" Yet it happens now. How many times do you remember another tv show showing things that happened on the show? The only one i can think of was Star announcing her departure. But it happens frequently now. With Rosie,the producers made a deliberate decision to change the direction of the show - to go for more hot topics, and try to attract "did you hear what they said" chatter from other arenas. Since the show has changed, I don't think it's a totally accurate comparison to look at what Meredith or Lisa brought to the show.

I never thought of Lisa as being professional at all. I just didn't think that she added anything to the show. I think that she might have been interesting as an occasional guest but now as a daily diet. I liked the girl who was on before her much better than her. Debbie Matenopolous or however it's spelled, is her name.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3250552;
    I agree with you about Lisa Ling. She was just too ..... stick up her hiney (can't think of a more appropriate phrase... sorry for being crude) haughty for me. Not necessarily prudish, but ... I can't explain it. I just couldn't warm up to her. But Velvet, I have liked her documentaries. She's very informative and that different environment works just fine for me because I don't have to examine/witness/subconciously approve of her personality. Heh.

I love Meryl Streep. Love her sense of humor and self-effacing style. Probably the opposite of Lisa Ling, now that I think of it.
    You described Lisa Ling rather well! She IS very intelligent in the areas that she is interested in. It was like she could not be bothered with what she considered mundane topics. But IMO, she wasn't consistent with what that was.

FORT Fogey

JenniferTV--hi. You asked for some examples of dangerous things Hasselbeck has said.

I try not to remember misinformatoon so I am having to dig very hard to see if I did commit them to memory--but she has said a number of incorrect things about medicine and science.

One was about allergies--an assertion that would give people the wrong idea about how allergies might be treated--or not needing treatment.

Another one had to do with genetics.

And another one was about a condition in which a major organ did not work.

I'm sorry I can't come up with anything more specific right now--iI'll work on remembering--but her medical "knowledge" is horrifyingly wrong--and if anyone pays attention to what she says so blitehly they could findthemselves very ill indeed.

To me that is dangerous--someone so ill-informed about medical matters they have no idea how wrong their statements are.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3249018;
    I thik Joy would leave The View if she got offered the Larry King gig full time.
    I read a quote from King expressing his preferance for Ryan Seacrest when he retires. It basically said that King thought Seacrest was the 'ultimate generalist' which is how 'Larry King Live' operates; asking questions, no opinions.

It could happen. Seacrest is very popular and has a large 18-34 following and has a cache with his successful hosting, radio talk show and production company.

Plus, look at CNN. 99% of their on air people are very talented and professional. 99.5% of the people who they are hiring are attractive and youthful. (ie, they aren't firing Lou Dobbs or Candy Crowley, but when they usually add a new reporter or on air talent they look like Anderson Cooper or Cambell Brown or Lisa Ling.

Joy is an older, full figured average looking person; she's Glenn Beck (who by the way is no longer on CNN!)
    "Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, power and grace in it."-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I just watched Friday's show. Meryl is, indeed, an amazing, unaffected actor. One thing that drove me crazy about her, though, was that washerwoman/scrubwoman, Depression era hairdo that she was wearing. I've never been disappointed in any of her films that I've seen.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Prhoshay--hi. I don't like that hairdo of hers either--and I am a huge fan of her work.

She was on Letterman last night and her hair didn't look any better. I guess when you're considered naturally gorgeous you can wear your hair that way.

FORT Fogey

Joy is an older, full figured average looking person;
    Joy is beautiful, stunningly so. I have seen her in person. TV can distort our perception because we see incredible beauty, always. If Joy walked into your living room you would be amazed. She is not as heavy as she appears for starters and her face would dazzle you. Her hair is thick and lush, every womans dream and beautifully styled and cut.

+ Reply to Thread