+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #5671
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,175

    Re: The View

    Why do people think he's a charlatan?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ó Will Rogers

  2. #5672
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    driving ballet carpool
    Posts
    465

    Re: The View

    Whoopi saying "I'm a dinner jacket" isn't her original line. They had a guest on one day a long while back that talked those things and how she helps people remember and say names like that. She used that specific line in paticular to show how I think she told Bush to remember how to pronounce it. Whoopi liked it and has used it ever since!

  3. #5673
    FORT Fogey Margaritaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,857

    Re: The View

    I came across a very fascinating article online today and it is penned by William Ayers. Yes, the "domestic terrorist" that so frightens our Elisabeth. He decided to stay out of the presidential election and hold his comments until the election was over and our next president chosen. I hope that Elisabeth reads it - if for no other reason than to calm her fears about his association with Barack Obama. Perhaps she can call her BFF Hannity and share it with him as well.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/op...=1&ref=opinion

    The dishonesty of the narrative about Mr. Obama during the campaign went a step further with its assumption that if you can place two people in the same room at the same time, or if you can show that they held a conversation, shared a cup of coffee, took the bus downtown together or had any of a thousand other associations, then you have demonstrated that they share ideas, policies, outlook, influences and, especially, responsibility for each otherís behavior. There is a long and sad history of guilt by association in our political culture, and at crucial times weíve been unable to rise above it.

    President-elect Obama and I sat on a board together; we lived in the same diverse and yet close-knit community; we sometimes passed in the bookstore. We didnít pal around, and I had nothing to do with his positions. I knew him as well as thousands of others did, and like millions of others, I wish I knew him better.

    Demonization, guilt by association, and the politics of fear did not triumph, not this time. Letís hope they never will again. And letís hope we might now assert that in our wildly diverse society, talking and listening to the widest range of people is not a sin, but a virtue.

  4. #5674
    FORT Fogey Muduh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3246686;
    I came across a very fascinating article online today and it is penned by William Ayers. Yes, the "domestic terrorist" that so frightens our Elisabeth. He decided to stay out of the presidential election and hold his comments until the election was over and our next president chosen. I hope that Elisabeth reads it - if for no other reason than to calm her fears about his association with Barack Obama. Perhaps she can call her BFF Hannity and share it with him as well.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/op...=1&ref=opinion
    Dig deeper and you will certainly find much more about that association. He frightens me too. I've read a lot about him and it did anything BUT calm my fears.

  5. #5675
    PWS
    PWS is online now
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,116

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3246570;
    Whoopi saying "I'm a dinner jacket" isn't her original line. They had a guest on one day a long while back that talked those things and how she helps people remember and say names like that. She used that specific line in paticular to show how I think she told Bush to remember how to pronounce it. Whoopi liked it and has used it ever since!
    Let us hope GWB remembers that it only sounds like "I'm a dinner jacket," not that that is really exactly how his name is pronounced....

  6. #5676
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3246570;
    Whoopi saying "I'm a dinner jacket" isn't her original line. They had a guest on one day a long while back that talked those things and how she helps people remember and say names like that. She used that specific line in paticular to show how I think she told Bush to remember how to pronounce it. Whoopi liked it and has used it ever since!
    BW says it's WG's line.

    Short transcript of the December 5 conversation:

    JOY BEHAR: You know President Bush can not say Ahmadinejad, can not say the-

    BARBARA WALTERS: I was going to call him up after I watched that press conference, which was quite-

    SHERRI SHEPHERD: You were going to call President Bush?

    WALTERS: I was going to call President Bush up and say "Mr. President, youíre having a lot, a lot of trouble pronouncing Ahmadinejad, and let me tell you why weíre all pronouncing it so well. Because Miss Goldberg, a couple of weeks ago said all you have to think of is Ahmadinejacket." So every time you say Ahmadinejacket-

    The "couple of weeks ago" that BW was referring to:

    Tuesday, Sept 25, 2007 - Whoopi taught the group how to say the name of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad by remembering the phrase, ďIím a dinner jacket.Ē

  7. #5677
    FORT Fogey Muduh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: The View

    Well I appreciate Whoopi's help on this one because I had no clue. Of course the chances of him coming up in my conversations are slim, but if they do I'll be ready.

  8. #5678
    FORT Fogey Margaritaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,857

    Re: The View

    I fail to see how WG referring to Ahmadinejad as "I'm a dinner jacket" is the same as EH referring to Deepak Chopra as "Glitter glasses". WG is making a difficult name easier to say, and EH is simply name-calling. Deepak Chopra is NOT hard to prounounce in any way. Sound it out. Seriously. They are hardly the same thing and I don't understand why they are compared as such. Elisabeth was simply being nasty about someone she doesn't agree with or respect. Now it would be an accurate comparison if she were now referred to as "two toned rats nest head".

  9. #5679
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,102

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3246868;
    Now it would be an accurate comparison if she were now referred to as "two toned rats nest head."
    That is too funny!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  10. #5680
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3246868;
    I fail to see how WG referring to Ahmadinejad as "I'm a dinner jacket" is the same as EH referring to Deepak Chopra as "Glitter glasses". WG is making a difficult name easier to say, and EH is simply name-calling. Deepak Chopra is NOT hard to prounounce in any way. Sound it out. Seriously. They are hardly the same thing and I don't understand why they are compared as such. Elisabeth was simply being nasty about someone she doesn't agree with or respect. Now it would be an accurate comparison if she were now referred to as "two toned rats nest head".
    Much like Joy like acts when it comes to the President of the United States of America.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.