+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3246153;

IMO, I think EH is hoping Obama will fail. I get that impression when she talks about him despite what she is now saying. It will give her something to gloat about, she will be ready to pounce when he makes a mistake and he will, no president is perfect.
    Think about the ramifications of what that means when said about any individual with regards to any president ... and it perhaps means even more in this period of time. If Obama fails, it does not merely have an effect on him. It has an effect on the entire country. In this period of time, it would mean that a bad economic situation got worse. It could mean that the situation overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan got worse which would mean loss of additional lives. It could mean terrorist attacks on Americans - again death. The ramifications are not merely personal against Obama -- they'd be personal against a HUGE number of Americans. I don't care what your ideological leanings are ... it takes a truly cruel and horrible human being to hope for that sort of thing merely for the opportunity to gloat. That's something I may attribute to a person like Fred Phelps. But I would most certainly not attribute it to most Americans. Quite honestly, I think its a rather extreme accusation to make against most anyone's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3246162;
    Think about the ramifications of what that means when said about any individual with regards to any president ... and it perhaps means even more in this period of time. If Obama fails, it does not merely have an effect on him. It has an effect on the entire country. In this period of time, it would mean that a bad economic situation got worse. It could mean that the situation overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan got worse which would mean loss of additional lives. It could mean terrorist attacks on Americans - again death. The ramifications are not merely personal against Obama -- they'd be personal against a HUGE number of Americans. I don't care what your ideological leanings are ... it takes a truly cruel and horrible human being to hope for that sort of thing merely for the opportunity to gloat. That's something I may attribute to a person like Fred Phelps. But I would most certainly not attribute it to most Americans. Quite honestly, I think its a rather extreme accusation to make against most anyone's character.

Very valid statements. I just don't think Elisabeth thinks it through that far. She only sees Obama making a mistake/failing and then gloating "See, I was right!". She really gives the appearance of having the mentality of a child -- not all of the time (before I get ripped apart ) but often in the way that she reacts to things.

Candor
    I wasn't offended by the glitter glass or the incense ... I was offended by the Elizabeth's absolute dismissal of Deepak Chopra as a crackpot. This goes for anyone to assumes that: Pick up a book! The man is a brilliant thinker who happens to believe it's important to talk about *gasp* root causes of violence and rebellion.

The simple-minded jingoists -- which Elizabeth proved herself to be with her insinuation that acknowledging America's flaws in the was is tantamount to hating the country -- cannot stand any debate that isn't good vs. evil, black vs. white, and doesn't have easy solution. What's worse, is these ignorant fools actually think they're superior to someone who would examine the complexities of conflict.
    Ditto for me also.

EH is not enlightened, and is jealous of Deepak's red and gold glittering glasses and financial success, but she is not in touch with that. No charge for the psychological analysis, Elizabeth (but you owe me $200, no, make that $1000 in Hollywood dollars)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3246193;
    Very valid statements. I just don't think Elisabeth thinks it through that far. She only sees Obama making a mistake/failing and then gloating "See, I was right!". She really gives the appearance of having the mentality of a child -- not all of the time (before I get ripped apart ) but often in the way that she reacts to things.
    My stumbling point in agreeing with that argument is that Elisabeth has verbalized on multiple occasions that she hopes that Obama is sucessful and wishes the best for him. So believing that she really just wants to jump on the see I told you so would mean that she understands that it would be bad to verbally acknowledge that she watned Obama to fail - so she'd presumably understand some reasons why that would be bad - and yet can't see beyond the desire to say "I told you so". The two seem to contradict each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3246162;

I know what the ramifications would be but that still does not change my opinion of EH. This is still the impression I get when I watch The View, when they discuss BO. I hope I am wrong but I do not think so. Maybe she isn't hoping he will fail but she will definitely gloat, she will pounce on his mistakes, there is no doubt in my mind about this.
    Last edited by graycat11; 12-05-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3246144;
    Let's not lose sight of what Elisabeth was commenting on. She was not takling about Chopra in general, and whether or not the man is a thinker. She was commenting on specific comments he'd made, talking about the US funding both sides of the war on terror by fighting terrorists, but then funding terrorisim by buying oil from middle eastern countries. There are those who agree with that and those who don't.
    By mocking him, she was more than disagreeing with his statements, she was trying to discredit him. It would be laughable if it didn't make me so mad.

But first, I am so over that Hannityesque moralizing that feigns outrage over ANY criticism of the United States. It's like they've got their fingers in their ears and are shouting "La la la la. I can't hear you!" By assuming that phony moral high ground they shut down any kind of useful debate on how our country can do better. Which, when you think about it, is unpatriotic itself. Whoopi tried to explain that by using the perfect-parent analogy, but of course Elizabeth doesn't get analogies, so she got offended and missed the point.

Second, how astonishingly arrogant for her -- hardly The View's Christopher Hitchens -- to mock and dismiss a respected M.D., author, philosopher and spiritualist as some whack job because he dared to raise an opinion that conflicted with her narrow, uninformed ideology.

I've talked to Chopra at length -- twice -- and was blown away by his depth of knowledge, his original thought, his wisdom and his intelligence. Because of that, his opinions carry more weight than someone who is just spouting off for partisan political reasons. If Hasselbeck opened her mind and actually read one of his books (which are complimentary to Jesus, by the way), she might not be so quick to assume her own superiority.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3246255;
    Second, how astonishingly arrogant for her -- hardly The View's Christopher Hitchens -- to mock and dismiss a respected M.D., author, philosopher and spiritualist as some whack job because he dared to raise an opinion that conflicted with her narrow, uninformed ideology.
    What is the difference between that, and people on the left mocking Bill Bennet and bringing up his gambling issues every chance they get?

Huh? Trying to find the connection here.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

The connection is that Bill Bennet is a respected PhD, author, and philosopher. Despite his credentials, people who disagree with him slam him on personal attacks all the time. He's mocked for his gambling, has been accused of being a racist by Media Matters, etc. They are personal attacks due to disagreement, showing disrespect to a man with relatively similar credentials to Chopra. It happens all the time. When you're in the public eye, and you express firm opinions that take a definitive side, there are people out there who will take unfair personal swipes despite your credentials and respect you deserve. Quite frankly, I think that even people who don't have multiple degrees deserve the respect, but that doesn't mean they get it.

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3246255;
    By mocking him, she was more than disagreeing with his statements, she was trying to discredit him. It would be laughable if it didn't make me so mad.

But first, I am so over that Hannityesque moralizing that feigns outrage over ANY criticism of the United States. It's like they've got their fingers in their ears and are shouting "La la la la. I can't hear you!" By assuming that phony moral high ground they shut down any kind of useful debate on how our country can do better. Which, when you think about it, is unpatriotic itself. Whoopi tried to explain that by using the perfect-parent analogy, but of course Elizabeth doesn't get analogies, so she got offended and missed the point.

I've talked to Chopra at length -- twice -- and was blown away by his depth of knowledge, his original thought, his wisdom and his intelligence. Because of that, his opinions carry more weight than someone who is just spouting off for partisan political reasons. If Hasselbeck opened her mind and actually read one of his books (which are complimentary to Jesus, by the way), she might not be so quick to assume her own superiority.
    Thank you for mentioning that Deepak is an M.D. I don't remember if I posted about it, I meant to, but he is all about holistic medicine and healing. Yes, he is getting rich at bringing positivity to the world, but I would rather he gets rich at doing so than Bush gets rich in the business of killing people.

I will even go so far as to say that I don't care if Deepak is a charlatan. At least he isn't ordering people's children to kill or be killed.

Back on topic (I hope), if Deepak is a guest on the show, he will definitely take "the high road", and give all of us something important to think about.

+ Reply to Thread