+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1496Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

Is Depak asian? I don't think his race is/was the issue he is known for his new age thoughts. I had no idea I thought it was in refrence to his new age philosophy. See who knew the label was off. Since when does insence burning refer to being Asian anyway? I more associate it with meditation and such.
    No, the "SHOW" isn't liberal but it isn't hard to watch and see that all but one of the hosts are and thus the views land that way with a roar while the one other host squeaks in the corner loudly.
    As Veruka said that would mean FOX isn't a right wing news organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3245527;
    Interesting illustration. Elisabeth most certainly has been called stupid and ignorant in this thread before. Has each of those comments been racist, serving as an attack on Polish people in general? Or does that serve as proof that intent DOES matter when making such an accusation?
    As an individual, she is stupid. That has nothing to do with her heritage. We have all been offered enough examples of her rampant idiocy to be comfortable labelling her, as an individual, an imbecile. I would have used another cliché regarding the Polish if I could recall one, but I can't.

She, however, apparently doesn't know enough about Deepak Chopra to even recall his name, so referring to his burning of incense smacks more of a generic dismissal of an entire group as opposed to a specific appellation directed at a specific individual.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    I just re-watched what was said. EH referred to him as "glitter glasses "" and then when the others said his name she responded with "DeepakChopragolightabowlofinc ense" as if all one word.
    After looking up his web sight, which I would have NEVER done had she not made the incense remark, I now understand what she meant. And I believe it has nothing to do with his race but more with his medical practice.
    WHICH IF HE IS SMART.... he will give her a complimentary "Renewal Weekend" at the Chopra Center.

Talk show hosts' political views ( hence, the left wing/rightwing comparisons) don't affect me as much as their stupidity and ignorance does.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3245540;
    As an individual, she is stupid. That has nothing to do with her heritage. We have all been offered enough examples of her rampant idiocy to be comfortable labelling her, as an individual, an imbecile. I would have used another cliché regarding the Polish if I could recall one, but I can't.

She, however, apparently doesn't know enough about Deepak Chopra to even recall his name, so referring to his burning of incense smacks more of a generic dismissal of an entire group as opposed to a specific appellation directed at a specific individual.
    I think there is a very big difference between not knowing a name, and having a name temporarily slip your mind. Given that she was able to come up with it quickly, I think its reasonable to believe that in this case she knew his name, and it slipped her mind momentarily. And I honestly don't see how the incense comment in context was attached to any larger group. I would agree with you that the comments about Elisabeth being stupid are not a commentary on Polish people. But I see NO distinction between those comments and her specific comment about Chopra.

I recall several times during the Hot Topics when Whoopi added "geshundteit" comments after President Ahmadinejad's name. I guess I don't understand why one is 'funny' and the other is 'ignorant'. *shrug*

FORT Fanatic

It isn't funny because EH said it and not Joy bottom line.

I didn't really bristle at the Deepak Chopra remark. I think it was blown out of proportion.
    I don't see this show as a real left wing liberal show, though. Rachel Maddow has a real left wing liberal show and the View is anything but that. And, last time I looked, Sherri was pretty conservative. If she were so left wing liberal, she would have been in favor of Prop 8 and she was not. I think Whoopi is best at presenting the most balanced viewpoint on this show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferTVchick;3245616;
    I recall several times during the Hot Topics when Whoopi added "geshundteit" comments after President Ahmadinejad's name. I guess I don't understand why one is 'funny' and the other is 'ignorant'. *shrug*
    Whoopi calls him President "I'm a dinner jacket".

FORT Regular

What a bunch of hoopla about nothing. Elisabeth did not say anything wrong IMO.

+ Reply to Thread