+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3245496;
    Had only a handful of people written in to complain about her, I'm sure her comments would have been overlooked. The fact that TPTB deemed an apology necessary indicates that it was more than a few "hyper-sensitive" people in a huff.
    I don't think that can be assumed. TPTB may have decided an apology was necessary for any number of reasons. If they got one e-mail complaining about the comment, but had a booking agent who handles Chopra and others threaten to pull guests from the show, then TPTB could have decided that was enough to warrant a complaint. If there was one complaint, but it was from Michael Eisner's wife, TPTB could have decided that was enough to warrant an apology. An apology does not necessarily mean a high number of complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3245498;
    EH isn't a journalist, but she needs to act professional when on a panel discussing many topics on national tv. Not doing so only makes her look UNprofessional and tacky. Will only limit her career options down the road if she so pursues. JMO.
    I think that she acted professionally. It is her job on the show to passionately express her points of view. the other women on the show have the same charge. She did exactly that. She delivered the kind of TV the producers are looking for. That's professional.

To "label" someone because you can't remember their name is ignorant and unprofessional. Period.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3245502;
    To "label" someone because you can't remember their name is ignorant and unprofessional. Period.
    Well, then to build on Bandy's point, Joy, Whoopi, Sherri and Barbara must be unprofessional and ignorant as well. It is human to forget a name momentarily. When in the middle of talking, it's also rather human to fill in the blank with a "whats-his-name" type nickname. They've all done it at times, as have many people who do unscripted broadcasting. Quite frankly, in those cases it is MORE professional to fill the space as Elisabeth did with a nickname. Otherwise, you've got dead air which is the second biggest no-no in broadcasting behind uttering words banned by the FCC.

FORT Fanatic

Yep, we will disagree. That show is nothing but a huge label factory! Since when is a label bad anyway? I am labeled any number of ways by many labels. She called him glitter glasses so umm yea he wears glitter glasses! What was the label? He is in drag? He wants to be a woman, Elton John, on the worst dressed list?
    Great she apologized at it was more than an appropriate apology. I think I will write in and complain that I am offended that the show jumped course when EH expressed a view and they made her apologize for it. I am sure she is sorry if she offended someone I don't think she was trying to be offensive.
    Whoopi had plenty of labels for Rush today. Sooo will she apologize tomorrow? Me thinks not because it is a liberal left wing show and it is ok to label and offend the conservatives.

The View is hardly a "liberal left wing "show, when Elisabeth is a right wing conservative, and makes sure everyone knows it.
    Frankly, Im quite offended myself as a former registered republican....at the conservative party the last 8 years.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3245513;
    The View is hardly a "liberal left wing "show, when Elisabeth is a right wing conservative, and makes sure everyone knows it.
    Frankly, Im quite offended myself as a former registered republican....at the conservative party the last 8 years.
    A single, not well-spoken conservative point of view among four othre left-leaning co-hosts stops it from being a liberal left wing show? I don't know I'd agree that Bandy's label is that off base if Elisabeth is the only defense.

FORT Fanatic

My point exactly Veruka! Most would consider FOX right wing and they have Sean Colms go figure!

Just because the other ladies might happen to be left wing liberals doesn't make "the show" a left wing liberal show. It all depends on your stance, politically. If you happen to be a right wing conservative, then you might get offended with the left wing liberal ladies' comments..but I wouldn't label the show itself a liberal show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3245507;
    She called him glitter glasses so umm yea he wears glitter glasses! What was the label? He is in drag? He wants to be a woman, Elton John, on the worst dressed list?
    Glitter glasses, although incredibly puerile, was not the offending comment. The incense reference was the offending comment. A reference to incense is one of many of the quick and easy ways for the bigot contingent to label the entire Asian sub-continent (she could have used curry or turban interchangeably). It's offensive in the same way making some reference to stupidity might be offensive to someone bearing the last name Filarski (I'm assuming that is a Polish name) in that there is a history of bigots dismissing Poles as being stupid. Labelling anyone using a tired bigot-friendly cliché is always offensive in my book.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3245523;
    Just because the other ladies might happen to be left wing liberals doesn't make "the show" a left wing liberal show. It all depends on your stance, politically. If you happen to be a right wing conservative, then you might get offended with the left wing liberal ladies' comments..but I wouldn't label the show itself a liberal show.
    Then as Bandy said, Fox News should also not be classified as a conservative network.

Just for the record, I do not get offended when the left wing liberal ladies make the comments that they do. I disagree with them, but don't find it offensive that they express them. The entire premise of the show is women expressing their views. If I didn't want to hear views I disagree with, I would not tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3245525;
    Glitter glasses, although incredibly puerile, was not the offending comment. The incense reference was the offending comment. A reference to incense is one of many of the quick and easy ways for the bigot contingent to label the entire Asian sub-continent (she could have used curry or turban interchangeably). It's offensive in the same way making some reference to stupidity might be offensive to someone bearing the last name Filarski (I'm assuming that is a Polish name) in that there is a history of bigots dismissing Poles as being stupid. Labelling anyone using a tired bigot-friendly cliché is always offensive in my book.
    Interesting illustration. Elisabeth most certainly has been called stupid and ignorant in this thread before. Has each of those comments been racist, serving as an attack on Polish people in general? Or does that serve as proof that intent DOES matter when making such an accusation?

+ Reply to Thread