+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3244793;
    I guess I'm just ignorant, because I don't see what was a big enough deal in her comments to warrant an apology. The sparkly glasses whats-his-face comment cracked me up.
    It was very disrespectful, very racist and if someone say...hillary or Obama said something like that it would be a national outrage, but since it is twitty Bitty, she is supposed to get a pass? I think not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3244802;
    It was very disrespectful, very racist and if someone say...hillary or Obama said something like that it would be a national outrage, but since it is twitty Bitty, she is supposed to get a pass? I think not!!!
    The incident is starting to get some coverage on gossip sites apparently, but nothing in the mainstream as far as I know.
    Rosie's "ching chong" (ugh, it makes me cringe to even type that) was all over the entertainment shows that night.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3244802;
    I can honestly say that I've never before heard of burning incense as having anything to do with racial implications. Did Elisabeth? I have no way of knowing that. But I think that if a person does not know that a group considers something to be offenseive, than the person can't really be held responsible for being racist or insensitive with such a remark. Rosie defended herself after the ching-chong remark by explaining that she had never known that Asian people found such a comment to be offensive, and I have no reason to believe she ways lying. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to ANYONE when it comes to common knowledge like that. If Barack Obama had made the same comment, without being aware that anyone found it to be offensive, I'd give him a pass too. Yes, people should absolutely be sensitive to other people's feelings. But if they're not aware of the sensitivity a group has, the level of accountability is different in my book.

I watched it on you tube (but I still won't watch her "apology"). The comments were disrespectful and said WAY, OH SO MUCH, more about EH than Deepak.

I don't know what Deepak said, but I guess EH was trying to defend the U.S. as never creating problems (LOL, good luck on that one!) by trying to denigrate him. Does she really think that the viewing public is so stupid as to fall for it?

Personally, I think she's just peeved that she won't be getting a position in the Presidential/Vice Presidential administration because her party lost the election. Maybe she will move to Alaska and help Palin "govern".

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3244790;
    If she does offer anything approaching an apology it'll probably be the standard kind of "I apologize if I offended anyone" non-apology that people always seem to give.
    I doubt it'll go any deeper than that because I can't recall the last time I saw anyone on tv offer up what I would consider a genuine apology.
    Right, it always sounds like they are saying, I'm sorry you're such a hypersensitive baby....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What does "glitter glasses" refer to? I know whom she is talking about, but I've never heard anyone reference him in this way.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Apparently he did an interview with Anderson Cooper a few months ago while wearing glasses that had red "glitter" in them. I've never seen him wear them but I have no idea whether it was a one time thing, they are his normal glasses, or ?

I don't necessarily believe that Elisabeth intended the joke as insult to a race, but rather to Deepak Choprah's New Age spirituality for which he's well known. But that doesn't lessen the widespread offensiveness of the comment in its stereotype and sheer dismissiveness. To simply refer to him as "Glitter Glasses whatshisname" further demonstrates her absolute immaturity and lack of professionalism.
    Last edited by Broadway; 12-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.

I'm sure Fox will defend her actions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3244790;
    If she does offer anything approaching an apology it'll probably be the standard kind of "I apologize if I offended anyone" non-apology that people always seem to give.
    I doubt it'll go any deeper than that because I can't recall the last time I saw anyone on tv offer up what I would consider a genuine apology.
    And that was just about all she actually said....and if you'd have hiccuped, you would have missed it.

As expected, it was a lame "apology" with no explanation and Whoopi hurriedly moved on to the next topic.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread