+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 1050 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156556 ... LastLast
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey
    I find Star annoying but at the same time, I cant imagine the show being successful without her especially now that Meredith is gone too. Star is one of those people you dont really like but watch anyway cause she can be entertaining with her opinions on the show. U love to hate Star which in a way is part of her appeal. I feel like she was fired in a sense because they could've chosen to renew her contract and didnt so they did not want her anymore. It was a betrayal that Star found out Rosie would be replacing Meredith on the emmy's just like everyone else. The fact that they believe that Rosie is anymore liked than Star or that she would make the show more successful is hilarious. No one looks at Rose the same way they did years ago when she had her talk show and before you guys jump all over me, im not talking about cause of her sexuality. She just seems like a completely different person and even back then, I found her to be annoying and now not watchable in the least. Out of all people, they thought Rosie would make a good replacement for Meredith(who's attractive, sweet, and a class act)? Give me a break! The few times Rosie has been a guest host on the view, she was extremely annoying.
    Jessica

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    How many of you thought you knew someone well, thought you had a good friend, only to be betrayed by that person? It's one of the most painful experiences you'll ever have.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    Don't forget to watch Larry King tonight. It should clear up some questions.

The big question I have is why did ABC not want Starr to say that they had not renewed her contract? It is part of the business and certainly not a secret.

It is definately like getting fired. I would feel that way, too. It is okay for her to talk about how it made her feel.

It is also her right to talk about *all* of her feelings around how it was handled. She can say anything she pleases, she is not under contract.
    She was still under contract on Tuesday. Her contract doesn't end until August. With that, you do not go and bite the hand that feeds you without expecting repurcussions. She spoke negatively about her bosses on THEIR platform and should expect the repurcussions. Maybe that's exactly what she wanted, who knows?

NOW she certainly could talk about how she feels, but she certainly shouldn't have done it publicly until her contract had ended.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I agree Broadway.

This is also live TV. It seems as though there was an agreement between everyone regarding the timing of the announcement. She took it upon herself to announce it earlier without consulting anyone. That's not professional, whatsoever.

I've never liked Barbara, but I do think she handled this as best she could.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I understand not being able to take another phony minute of something you formerly loved. I walked away from a job that I had held for well over 20 years because I couldn't tolerate the direction in which that the job was going. My health was even being negatively affected. From the time the job began, it was emphasized that you give at least 2 weeks notice when you're ready to go.

They got 0 days notice and an email from me! Was I forced out? No, I made a choice. I think I may see Star's situation a little differently than most. At least for me, when you're through.......you're through. I think that's what I recognized in Star.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Star stressed again tonight that they asked(told) her to stay until the middle of July. She had every intention of doing that. Then after she announced her impending departure they decided to not let her come back, period.

Then Barbara said, through email, that they had to put her out immediately because they had no idea what she might say. Well if anyone here can think of anything that hasn't been said on that show, please fill me in. What on earth could Star have said that would be so terrible?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    In my opinion ABC did the only thing they could do...let her go immediately..like Broadway stated "She spoke negatively about her bosses on THEIR platform and should expect the repurcussions". ..When I worked for a bank, when the VP's left (or were fired) they were let go IMMEDIATELY..as a matter of fact I can remember one VP who turned in his notice and I watched them watch him pack his office up and walk him out to the car that day....

I missed Star on the 1st episode of LKL tonight (So you think you can dance was more important to me ) but I'm going to catch the re-airing that comes on in 5 minutes.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I don't understand what "their platform" means. Seriously, I'm lost.

I didn't see or hear anything bad that she said, but maybe I just didn't know what I was supposed to be looking/listening for.

I don't get Larry King so you'll have to fill me in on it.

I do think that Star did wonders for the show and was very good at being a part of the team. Her contract ending for whatever reasons does not take anything away from those years.

Still, she is no dummy. She is a lawyer who knows a good defense when she sees one. At this moment she has her biggest client to defend: herself. She's choosing her words and her language specifically. She's chosen to appear on all sorts of show and promote this as if she is a victim, which I still don't believe she is. I still think it would be more professional to bow out gracefully and focus on her future. Instead she's promoting herself which seems to have been the problem during the last season with her and AL and her and her wedding, and her products ....la la la.

And Rosie is definitely no replacement for Meredith. I really miss Meredith. She was a great balance at the table and kept things going very well. But it's obvious that the show's executive and network wanted something to shake up the show after 9 years of merrily moving along. Rosie was it. What remains to be seen, is who will join in as the fifth member now that Star is gone.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/06/2...nes/index.html

Star says she wanted to tell the truth about her departure

Reynolds' gives first TV interview since leaving 'The View'

Thursday, June 29, 2006; Posted: 10:42 p.m. EDT (02:42 GMT)

Star Jones Reynolds says she decided to make a surprise announcement that she was leaving "The View" because she wanted to tell the truth about her departure.

"My viewers, our viewers, deserve the truth and I gave it to them," Reynolds told Larry King Thursday in her first TV interview since she was kicked off "The View."

Reynolds apparently surprised her fellow hosts of the ABC talk show on Tuesday by saying on the air that she wouldn't be returning to the daytime talk show in the fall. Reynolds has been a co-host on the show since it first aired 9 years ago.

Reynolds' unscripted departure has quickly turned into a highly publicized war of words about who -- Reynolds or show creator and co-host Barbara Walters -- was blindsided or betrayed.

Reynolds said that she had been told on April 21 that she would not continue with "The View" in the fall.

ABC has said the decision was based on Reynolds' plummeting popularity because of her off-camera persona.

In the days leading up to the planned date for the announcement in mid-July, she said there was growing gossip and innuendo about her leaving -- something she said was leaked to the media.

That's when she said she decided to go out "on my own terms," adding "the terms I chose was to tell the truth."

The day after Reynolds' announcement, she was missing from the show and her photograph had been erased from the opening credits.

"It is becoming uncomfortable for us to pretend that everything is the same at this table," Walters explained to the audience. "Therefore, regrettably, Star will no longer be on this program."

When clips from that show were played for Reynolds on Larry King Live, she replied, "I had not seen it before. I'm sad that the platform that I helped to build was used in a way to attack me professionally."

Reynolds, for her part, granted an interview with People magazine, saying "I feel like I was fired." Reynolds told King that she gave the interview to the magazine before her on-air announcement. In a statement from ABC read on Larry King Live, the network said Walters felt betrayed by the article.

"I told the truth, I didn't lie, I told the truth," Reynolds responded.

Also in the ABC statement, the network said that Reynolds' "wedding freebies" from her glitzy wedding to banker Al Reynolds in 2004 had a negative impact on the show.

"There's no question I used my celebrity to make my wedding plans," she told King, adding that it was a mistake. However, she said the shows on her wedding plans were the best ratings "The View" had gotten.

Reynolds' departure closely follows Meredith Vieira leaving the show for NBC's "Today" show. Vieira will be replaced by comedian Rosie O'Donnell, and rumors have circulated that the Reynolds was not thrilled by the addition of O'Donnell. The comedian has criticized Reynolds' 100-pound weight loss, alleging she had gastric bypass surgery.

On Thursday, Reynolds said she did, in fact, have "medical intervention" for her weight and that O'Donnell had misinterpreted how she had lost the weight.

As for O'Donnell's statements about her, Reynolds said, "Rosie and I have always been friends ... so I was really taken aback ... when she went on a very public attack of me and my family." She added she was "shocked by the viciousness of it."

But she said "I will not be in a catfight ... Women professionals need to perform as women professionals."

"I will not denigrate Ms. Walters ever, that's not who I am," Reynolds said, adding that she considered the broadcaster a mentor.

On her replacement, Reynolds said, "It would be nice to see another African American professional, not an actress or comedian."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I just watched the interview on LKL and while I appreciate the fact that Star is a strong woman who isn't afraid to voice her views and opinions, something about her interview with LK came across as condescending and irritating to me. I don't really know how to explain it.
    Hopefully CNN will put up the transcripts later for people to read who may not have seen the show but I definitely did agree with one statement that she made in that this "circus" that is going on reinforces the stereotype that women working together cannot get along and that she was NOT going to be a part of a catfight. It does reinforce that belief and if it was a group of men there wouldn't be all this hulabaloo going on.

I do think it was tacky about doing the interview with People magazine before she had made the announcement. LK made reference to the fact that People had her interview online on their website before Tuesday's "The View" show was even off the air!!! :nono

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    I don't understand what "their platform" means. Seriously, I'm lost.
    I think what Broadway was meaning and how I took it to mean is the fact that Star did that on ABC's show..on their turf...they couldn't stop her from doing or saying anything because it was a "live" show and they had to just sit there and take it. I can only imagine how Barbara's blood pressure was skyrocketing while she had to sit there and appear calm while Star was giving her speech.

I did find it interesting in the LK interview that Star, for all intents and purposes, did finally admit that she had some type of surgery to help her lose the weight. She didn't come right out and say those words...she used "lawyer speak" and said that there was a "medical intervention". WTH???!!! Why can't she just say "Heck yeah, I had my stomach stapled, tied off with a balloon, wrapped with a rubberband, cut and stapled and superglued together...." Now, admittedly I don't watch "The View" daily so she may have already said this but I just know that in other things I've seen and heard, she has always tiptoed around the issue and said it was a private matter concerning her health.

I am still a big fan of Barbara's...I don't believe this incident will tarnish her reputation but I also don't believe this whole issue is going to go away in the next week or so. I can only imagine how shell shocked Joy and Elizabeth are/were but I also applaud the fact that ABC did not discuss any of these issues with them beforehand because truthfully it was none of their damn business!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread