+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1548Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

EH shopping trip with her husband didn't really shed a good light on him and made him look kind of like a baby. I would have been pissed if my husband did that to me, but then that's why he doesn't go shopping with me.

Even if he did go shopping with me and tried to pull 'the line is too long' whiny crap I would have told him to either suck it up or go sit in the car while I waited in line. I would not have done all that shopping just to leave a full cart because my husband was being a baby.

I'm pretty surprised that EH gave in so easily to him she seems, on the show anyway, to voice her opinion/objections/dislike very easily. Why appease a grown man?
    Last edited by Hobbes07; 11-18-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Add me to the list of those who would be exceedingly annoyed if my husband came shopping with me and made me leave because *snivel, whine* "the line is too long". This, as far as I'm concerned, is why cell phones were invented. Me in the art supply store, him in the record shop, first one finished calls the other one, we meet on the corner and go to lunch, both happy, no whining involved.

ETA: Even if I made with the jollity about the whole thing, I would seriously resent being put into the position where I would have to treat my husband like a toddler.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

First of all, I didn't say that this is a regular occurence between the two of them. No one knows how their marriage works. ALL I was saying is that this behavior may be something that a woman will put up with for awhile, but IF the husband is indeed a control freak, year after year of dealing with it will eventually be enough to make anyone rebel.

I understand that Tim supposedly wanted to make the trip a family outing and that is great. I do think that he could have considered his wife's feelings a bit more and maybe taken the kids out to the car or just waited. It's not like it would have killed him. Then again, maybe I'm all wrong and this was just an isolated incident and he's an understanding hubby who was just having a bad day. When I made my comment, it was in no way meant as a put down to Elisabeth so no one has to jump to her defense. I have no idea if Elisabeth was let down or felt put upon. It did make for a humorous story though.

FORT Fogey

No, it wouldn't have killed him. But Ithink that every marriage has moments like this, and they usually happen once. The reason that so many here have chimed in able to state that they don't go shopping with their husbands because they'd do something like that is most likely because on one or two occasions, that's what happened. So this was that moment in Tim and Elisabeth's marriage. It was capturing a normal moment in life, and sharing it with the audience. And the other women were able to contribute to what she went through and empathize because they've had that moment too. So it brought the generational thing into play ... Elisabeth having an experience, and the older women being able to say "oh honey, been there, done that".

Just a thought: often times media people make a story just a bit juicier than it really was...it's kind of expected. It's sort of a "my life is just like yours--but painted in a way that makes you want to hear a retelling of it." Her story was much more amusing this way than the probable reality of: "we went shopping, there was a long line, hubby wanted to leave and I knew the kids really needed a meal/nap/whatever. I would have liked to have the napkins, but it wasn't worth the hassel(beck)." Good chance that was what happened, but hardly a View-worthy chat. JMO.

I would never go shopping with a man, period. I always feel like I have to rush, can't browse like I'd like to, which is to take my time and look at almost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3236468;
    I would never go shopping with a man, period. I always feel like I have to rush, can't browse like I'd like to, which is to take my time and look at almost everything.
    I totally agree. Almost every time I've done it, it has not been a good experience.

Funny how they expect us to shop endlessly with them for their guy-oriented items, though.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate it when the women are in the middle of what is an interesting discussion and they have to go to break. Whoopi usually says we'll pick this up right after the break, and they never do.

Most women who have been married understand that trying to shop with your husband is probably not a good idea. It's not a cutesy little incident, which is why we say, "Been there, done that, and won't do that again." It can be a breeding ground for resentment.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-18-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What is it with men who can ramble through a store for hours but can't spend fifteen minutes in the checkout line? I often have to give mine"the look" when he starts moaning about the line. I didn't see the show but like some of you I wonder why he couldn't have taken the kids to the car, kept them at home or whatever.

I didn't see the show either, but just from the comments here, I find it beyond ridiculous that EH would whine on camera about not getting the napkins. She is such a child, yet she's a mother. Scary! Also, gosh forbid she ever encounters a serious problem in life. She should kiss the ground for ever lucking out into her extremely overpaid salary (whatever it is, but I know it's too much). /EH rant

+ Reply to Thread