+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1318Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Back on the topic of The View, I absolutely loved the segment of hot topics today when they were talking about Elisabeth's trip to Homegoods. I loved what each of them contributed to that discussion. Elisabeth made me laugh talking about hte heart break of losing her Thanksgiving napkins, and begging whoever sold them to her for double the cost. Barbara cracked me up trying to tell Tim to go buy them. And I loved Joy giving her tips on how to get a man to shop -- with Barbara pointing out that she was talking about hunting moose. It cracked me up, and was proof to me that they can do a good segment that is not about controversial events, but is about the things that women encounter in life.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This show has been kind of a yawn lately. Definitely not 'must watch' TV.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Yeah. Wth? Maybe it's because they let politics consume most of the discussions.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I always thought that wet nurses were women who had breastfed their own babies and then went on to breastfeed someone else's child.

And I have read about or seen on tv, how adoptive moms strap some sort of feeding tube and bag onto their bodies and allowing milk to feed into baby. It stimulates the adoptive mom to actually breastfeed.

I actually got a really weird vibe from hearing about EH's little family shopping trip to Homegoods. As in Tim is a control freak, wears the pants in the family, and EH kowtows to him. They packed up the kids, headed off to NJ, parked the car, went in to the store and she loaded up the shopping cart. When HE saw how many people were in line at the checkout, he threw a hissy and they HAD to leave???? Why didn't she just tell him to take one or both of the kids out to the car and she'd be out as soon as possible? Why did he get to make that decision? She was mad that he wanted to leave right then and there, but still acquiesced to him. She's now all bummed out about some napkins, Gracie had to leave behind some reindeer that she she wanted and big man Tim got his way. Doesn't sit right with me. He should have stayed home with the kids if he was going to be such a big baby.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3236280;

I actually got a really weird vibe from hearing about EH's little family shopping trip to Homegoods. As in Tim is a control freak, wears the pants in the family, and EH kowtows to him. They packed up the kids, headed off to NJ, parked the car, went in to the store and she loaded up the shopping cart. When HE saw how many people were in line at the checkout, he threw a hissy and they HAD to leave???? Why didn't she just tell him to take one or both of the kids out to the car and she'd be out as soon as possible? Why did he get to make that decision? She was mad that he wanted to leave right then and there, but still acquiesced to him. She's now all bummed out about some napkins, Gracie had to leave behind some reindeer that she she wanted and big man Tim got his way. Doesn't sit right with me. He should have stayed home with the kids if he was going to be such a big baby.
    I agree. What was that about? Looks like Tim has too much time on his hands and insisted on going with her, when she clearly would have preferred going alone. If she dares shop with him again, I hope she takes Joy's advice and sends him on a seek and find mission.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

I think the reason the segment worked so well is that it is such a common thing for many families. A woman's definition of "shopping" and a man's definition of "shopping" are two totally different things. I don't think Elisabeth got upset because she knew at at his core, Tim had the best of intentions -- doing something with the family that was Elisabeth's choice. Yes, Elisabeth would have preferred to go alone, but also appreciated Tim wanting to be with her and didn't want to stomp on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3236332;
    I think the reason the segment worked so well is that it is such a common thing for many families. A woman's definition of "shopping" and a man's definition of "shopping" are two totally different things. I don't think Elisabeth got upset because she knew at at his core, Tim had the best of intentions -- doing something with the family that was Elisabeth's choice. Yes, Elisabeth would have preferred to go alone, but also appreciated Tim wanting to be with her and didn't want to stomp on that.
    But he "stomped" on her enjoyment of the day.....Why is that ok? I'm not sure that he had the best of intentions. If he did, then he wouldn't have acted like a baby and made the trip all about him and his wants and needs.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

If it were all about his wants and needs, they would not have been shopping in a home store. They would have been somewhere like a sports bar chomping on chicken wings. I don't know the guy, so I can't say anything for certain about his intentions. But for some crazy reason, I just don't buy the notion that he's some evil and calculating monster who thought it'd be great fun to lure his wife and kids out to New Jersey, tempt them into buying all sorts of pretty things, only to snatch it all away from them so he could be amused the entire drive home at the looks of sadness and dissapointment on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3236332;
    I don't think Elisabeth got upset because she knew at at his core, Tim had the best of intentions -- doing something with the family that was Elisabeth's choice. Yes, Elisabeth would have preferred to go alone, but also appreciated Tim wanting to be with her and didn't want to stomp on that.
    I wonder how long Elisabeth will be okay with this. (IF it's a common thing, and none of us know if that is the case. ) I have a friend who was married to one of those, "my way or the highway" kind of men, and you notice I said was married to him. It doesn't take long to get sick of that kind of behavior.

My husband will frequently go out to the car and wait for me to finish shopping. That's one of the reasons that I try to be patient with him when we are shopping at Home Depot or Lowes.

But, if I am planning an all day shopping trip, I go with one of my girlfriends, and leave my husband at home.

FORT Fogey

The leaving her husband at home thing is exactly what Elisabeth was going to do. Only then she had a husband who wanted to make it a day for the family to all be together. I don't think that's a bad "my way or the highway" thing to have in a marriage. So they tried to compromise the two wants, and comedy ensued. Truly, if Elisabeth was as truly let down or put upon as some are trying to make it out to be, and if Tim were this controlling evil monster who truly ripped Elisabeth's heart out as she lost her napkins, I don't think she owuld have talked about it on the show. It was a no harm, no foul day in the life of a normal American family sort of thing.

+ Reply to Thread