+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

They got the sperm "off the internet", Muduh. It came in some sort of cylindrical tank in a pretty good-sized box. They had to take it out of this tank thing, let it thaw, it had to get to 99 degrees and then they had just 60 seconds from the time the temp hit 99 to inject it.

I don't know where one buys sperm off the internet, but is it tested to be sure that it is safe? I was under the impression that sperm donors have to fill out extensive medical, pshcyological, personal histories, etc., before they are considered for donating. They didn't go into that sort of stuff on this show....or I missed it too!

I think the mom is kind of spacy to begin with. Or just really laid back. I think she is now 46? Her one daughter thought it was all fine and dandy, but I don't know if she still lives at home with them and will be around when that baby gets into toddlerhood. By then there will be another baby to take care of. Should be tons of fun! I thought I saw the "dad" taking care of the baby more than the "mom" did. She was seen sitting off to the side on the couch or chair a lot.

Do they still work at their t-shirt company? How lucrative is that?

They showed Nancy (Thomas' wife) breastfeeding their baby. And when Thomas was on Oprah, both of Nancy's grown daughters were in the audience. They were very supportive of it all when questioned by Oprah.

On BW's special, it was said that Thomas and Nancy's relationship began with a lesbian relationship, and that they lived (harmoniously) with both of Nancy's daughters. And then Thomas began his gender transition.

There are so many fascinating things about their story. Obviously, traditional sexual, gender, and family issues and values are challenged. And I think that is great!

I think that BW's special would have been SO MUCH better if someone like Diana Sawyer or even Charlie Gibson had done it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Ok...call me out of the loop but how is the "pregnant man's" wife able to breast feed the baby? How is this possible when she's not the one who gave birth to the child? Did I miss something?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Apparently women can lactate even if they haven't given birth (maybe a maternal instinct?). I've read many accounts of women who lactate when another woman is pregnant. This is probably where the term "wet nurse" evolved from...

Wet nurse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The scientific explanation is probably the same for cross-species accounts (dogs nursing tigers, etc.).

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I also know that women with pituitary tumors (not uncommon) lactate.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Whenever anyone talks about the pregnant man, I turn off my television.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Thanks for the info VelvetRed and Prhoshay. I had always wondered about the whole wet nurse thing, wondering how it was possible. Interesting.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fanatic

She can/could be given hormones to lactate. I know those who have done it when they have adopted.

FORT Fanatic

i always assumed a wet nurse is a woman who had given birth, breast fed her baby and then just didn't stop ... and breast feeds others.

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;3235962;
    i always assumed a wet nurse is a woman who had given birth, breast fed her baby and then just didn't stop ... and breast feeds others.
    Me too. I thought that back in colonial days one of the servants who had recently given birth was recruited to nurse the new baby in the family too.

+ Reply to Thread