+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 1117 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263641041545541054 ... LastLast
Like Tree1525Likes

Thread: The View

I didn't know about that, but if anyone knows what the products were, I'd like to know. If Bill O'Reilly is against, I'm pretty sure I'm for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I didn't know about that, but if anyone knows what the products were, I'd like to know. If Bill O'Reilly is against, I'm pretty sure I'm for it.
    The commercial was for slim-fast

I think the show needed a shake up anyways. To me, Meredith was the heart and soul of that show and without her, the chemistry just seems off. I think Rosie will work, if she tones it down a bit. I never really liked Star, but I too praise her professionalism in all this.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I think Rosie could be a good host during the celebrity interviews (as long as they're not about gun control.) My worry is for Hot Topics. Rosie and Joy loud and on the left and Elizabeth loud and on the right, all talking over each other as viewers cringe and wish they would all shut-up. They needed Meredith for Hot Topics to hold the reigns. I also think it may be time to let the show go. It's had a long run. Barbara should be proud and very wealthy as a result of it.

ETA: I found a trranscript of the Ryan Seacrest interview.
    Here is the Link

Star Jones called in to the radio show “On-Air with Ryan Seacrest” this morning to talk about Barbara Walters asking her to leave The View before her previously scheduled departure date.

Star Jones: I was told yesterday that they did not want me to return today.

Ryan Seacrest: So you’re not going on today?

SJ: Nope, not at all. I was told yesterday was my last day.

RS: And originally you thought you would be on until when?

SJ: Originally they asked me to be on until July 13. This was a request from Barbara [Walters] and Bill [Geddie, executive producer], the date was chosen by them. They requested it. This was…negotiated They wanted to not leave the show without a fourth anchor. I agreed to do that for the show. I agreed to do it.

RS: But wait, their reaction, they’re asking you not to come back today for the show?

SJ: They told me.

RS: They told you do not come back to the show. Was that a result of what you said yesterday on the air?

SJ: No, no, no, it’s not a result of what I said yesterday on the air. It’s because I tell the truth, and it was a beautiful tribute to them, I’m not really sure. It was their decision. And I wasn’t called personally, my agents were called.

RS: So you haven’t spoken to any of the girls?

SJ: No that’s not true. I did speak to one and I don’t want to share because that’s very personal and private

RS: Out of respect did Barbara call?

SJ: No, not at all.

SJ: I honestly understood it was a business decision when I was told then, but then in the same I week I was told that they were adding another co-host and that it was Rosie O’Donnell. And that was in the same week that she had been so nasty and insulting and vicious.

RS: Publicly she scolded you for not being frank about your weight loss.

SJ: Scolded is not the right word, publicly she insulted me; she tried to damage me professionally and personally. I don’t think it’s fair to use soft words.

RS: So, it was very damaging to you in both ways?

SJ: It was, absolutely.

RS: Barbara seems upset. Barbara said that she feels betrayed by some of the things you have said.

SJ: Well, that was a little shocking to me. I was really surprised that Barbara would feel betrayed. First of all, you watched me yesterday. I said that she was the most amazing mentor; I thanked her for giving me this wonderful opportunity. It was the opportunity of a
    lifetime. And of course everyone is talking about the interview that’s going to happen this week. But you don’t know what the interview says. The interview was really about my feelings over the last few months. You know, this was orchestrated some time ago. It’s evident by now to anyone listening that a plan was put into place some time ago, to get me off the show. While I can accept any business decision, it’s hard to make peace with the manner in which it’s been handled over the past two months.

RS: Are you referring to the People magazine interview?

SJ: Well, yes, absolutely. But you know, Ryan, let’s just be straight with the viewers and the listeners right now, there’s no question that during my wedding planning and throughout this whole weight loss process which I think some people seem to think was quick, but you’ve known me for a long time, you’ve known it’s been a full 3 year process. This has not been something that happened in 6 months. People may have noticed in the last 6 months, but it’s been a 3-year process. And there’s no question that I used my celebrity in planning for the wedding. Mind you, this was in partnership with ABC. It’s not like, I won a network and I can go on television and just talk. That’s not the way it works in the business and I think you know that.

But I want to take full responsibility for the audience feeling like, ‘Star abandoned us on her journey.’ I understand that. That’s why I took it as a business decision. But if you use words like betrayal, you have to put yourself in my position. If anyone should feel betrayed, then it should probably be me. Because in the same week that I was told I was not being renewed, that’s the same week that Rosie O’Donnell vilified me in the media and the exact same week that
    Barbara, my mentor, my colleague and friend of 9 years, called her and invited her to be cohost on The View.

RS: You felt like she didn’t have your back?

SJ: Well, she didn’t have my back. Also the exact same time I was told on the Emmy Awards, how it went down. When you found out about it live on the air, how they called Rosie, I found out about it, live on the air, sitting in the front row of the Emmy Awards that I had earned with my colleagues for the last year of my life.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 06-28-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudah
    ...I don't particularly care for Star but I feel that the whole thing was poorly handled. Why didn't they have a meeting with her and tell her that they weren't going to renew her contract, and why? Then let her leave on her own terms and not make her out to be some hysterical jerk...
    I have to disagree with you Mudah. It wasn't being poorly handled until Star decided to "announce" her departure early. I'm sure the executive DID have a meeting and give her a chance. She didn't seem to take them seriously. I believe Star was told her contract wasn't going to be renewed months ago. And I'm sure she knew why. Bad ratings because of one person's refusal to stop what is causing the bad ratings is justification not to renew a contract.

Barbara said this morning on the show that they tried to let Star leave with dignity....to find another position and announce it later as if it were planned and not that her contract was not renewed. That is also different than being fired. And I'm not at all surprised at the stance by the executive to tell Star not to bother returning the day after she "broke the news HER way". It would be incredibly difficult to remain there for the summer.

I'm not surprised that neither Joy nor Elizabeth knew of the contract situation of Star. That would be private. Because Barbara is in the executive, she would know. And obviously, kept it confidential as she should have.

No-one "made [Star] out to be a hysterical jerk. Her own actions did that. No-one else did. I think Barbara was justified and good in her explanation to the viewers. Nothing more needs or should be said about it. Star should "put her big girl panties on and get over it". She did not handle this well at all, IMO.

STAR: No, no, no, it’s not a result of what I said yesterday on the air. It’s because I tell the truth, and it was a beautiful tribute to them, I’m not really sure. It was their decision. And I wasn’t called personally, my agents were called.
    I don't believe that first sentence one bit. Yes, Star did thank Barbara and the others at the same time she threw a knife at the executives. That wasn't a classy move.

It was not up to Barbara to ASK Star IF Rosie could take her place. They needed to hire someone. There are more people on the executive than Barbara. She was probably over-ruled.

Having said that, I hope that Star does find something challenging and enjoyable to do. I'm sure we'll see her in the future.

The View sure did look pretty meager this morning at the table. I'm sure Joy and Elizabeth are struggling right now. And I don't think Barbara was happy about being put in the position she was put in.

Time will tell how this show will do with Rosie at the table. I hope good. I really like Rosie (well, most of the time) And yes, Hot Topics is the best part of the show!
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-28-2006 at 07:35 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well, we can disagree and still be friends I hope.
    I think that Barbara has handled the whole situation badly. And no matter what word you use, when you tell someone that they're out of a job, I consider that fired. And for Barbara to publicly announce that she had hired someone who had publicly insulted one of her "friends" I think is a terrible lapse in judgement. If she planned to do that I would have more respect for her if she'd told Star to leave and then hired Rosie.

I think Barbara, and ABC are pissed because they wanted to work the whole thing to their advantage and Star threw a kink in their plans. I can't say that I blame her. They TOLD her how they wanted it handled, but since she no longer had a job there she had no reason to do as she was told.

As I've said, many times, I don't care for Star. After yesterday, I care even less for Barbara.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Muduh, youareright,youareright,youare right!!!!

Star handled her business!! misskitty, what would be the point in Star handling it Barbara's way?? She would have handled it Barbara's way if she had ZERO self-esteem....And we all know Star has no self-esteem problems.

Barbara is not happy that she didn't have total control over everybody. She deserved that great big public "BITE ME" that she got.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Star took control of her own life and did it her way on her terms that is why they are mad.

she didn't follow the script, and she had nothing to lose, what were they going to do ...fire her?

Barbara Walters took a lot of credit this morning when she said the View made Star a household name. Welllll.......Star did have a big hand in making the view a household name, maybe even more than Barbara, Barbara was there less than half the time and she mostly showed up to promote one of her specials or when a big named guest was appearing

Barbara's dignity comment after flat out lying about Star and her continued presence on the Vew was ANYTHING but dignified. She showed her true colors IMO.
    Last edited by rcurrytoo; 06-28-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Well, we can disagree and still be friends I hope.
    I think that Barbara has handled the whole situation badly. And no matter what word you use, when you tell someone that they're out of a job, I consider that fired. And for Barbara to publicly announce that she had hired someone who had publicly insulted one of her "friends" I think is a terrible lapse in judgement. If she planned to do that I would have more respect for her if she'd told Star to leave and then hired Rosie.

I think Barbara, and ABC are pissed because they wanted to work the whole thing to their advantage and Star threw a kink in their plans. I can't say that I blame her. They TOLD her how they wanted it handled, but since she no longer had a job there she had no reason to do as she was told.

As I've said, many times, I don't care for Star. After yesterday, I care even less for Barbara.
    I agree! I think Barbara and Bill Geddy wanted to keep this quiet as they did when they fired Debbie M. after the first season. I never did find out why they fired her...

Another thing that I consider sad about the whole chain of events is this. Barbara Walters is 74 years old. She has had a pretty distinguished career and actually opened a lot of doors that have made it easier for women who followed in her footsteps.

At this stage of the game, why in the world open up this can of worms? She will never be remembered, by many, as the astute business woman and trail blazer that she actually WAS. She wiil just be remembered as a vindictive old woman who didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. I find that terribly sad. Why not keep her mouth shut and look like the bigger woman, and professional that she used to be?

+ Reply to Thread