+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #5281
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,906

    Re: The View

    Barbara's point may have been valid, but did she need to bring it up on the show? It probably should have been talked about in private. Doing it on national tv made E defensive and you know how she gets when she thinks she is cornered.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  2. #5282
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    16,383

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;3221954;
    Barbara's point may have been valid, but did she need to bring it up on the show? It probably should have been talked about in private. Doing it on national tv made E defensive and you know how she gets when she thinks she is cornered.
    It's true that they could have dealt with the problem off-camera, but in this case the amount of viewer feedback dictated that it be addressed on air. Pretending that it didn't happen would have just made the story bigger.

    People in Hasselback's job are supposed to know how to handle themselves in a tight corner without losing their charm or grace. The fact that she (and Joy for that matter) turns into a caged animal when disagreed with is not Barbara's fault, nor is it the viewers' faults.

    However it IS Barbara's problem, since she runs the show, so I don't know how much longer she can tread water with this current line-up before she does permanent damage to her own reputation. Sometimes bad press isn't better than no press.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

  3. #5283
    FORT Fanatic Titans Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    720

    Re: The View

    I don't think The View could ignore it as the show may have broken the Equal Time Rule and put ABC in a position where they have to offer Senator Obama equal time. If the FCC or the FEC deem that wearing the t-shirt is an hour long McCain campaign ad(giving away air time) then ABC will have to give equal time to Senator Obama's campaign.

    Equal Time Rule


    It is the closest thing in broadcast content regulation to the "golden rule." The equal time, or more accurately, the equal opportunity provision of the Communications Act requires radio and television stations and cable systems which originate their own programming to treat legally qualified political candidates equally when it comes to selling or giving away air time. Simply put, a station which sells or gives one minute to Candidate A must sell or give the same amount of time with the same audience potential to all other candidates for the particular office. However, a candidate who can not afford time does not receive free time unless his or her opponent is also given free time. Thus, even with the equal time law, a well funded campaign has a significant advantage in terms of broadcast exposure for the candidate.
    There are shows that are exempted from this: newscast, on the spot news event, if the interview is included in a documentary and bona fide news interview. I don't believe that the The View qualifies as any of the above type shows.

    By making Elizabeth explain why she wore t-shirt(it was her design) it may give ABC a pass with the Equal Time Rule. It will be interesting to see what happens if anything.

  4. #5284
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3221952;
    Barbara's point, and I think in her own timid way it was a valid one, was that it was fine for Hasselback to wear the shirt during Hot Topics, but not for the rest of the show, when the topic changed and the focus is supposed to be on the guests. Nobody else is wearing their candidates as fashion on the show, and the whole "outnumbered victim" shtick she tries to play up doesn't give her a pass.

    Hasselback trying to tell Joy she couldn't plug her stand-up was a stupid analogy, but it was the only arrow she had in her arsenal, and she shot it anyway. And she deserved the smackdown for taking up airtime saying dumb things like that. If you want to debate, have something to say. I'm all for people with her POV representing on the show. Just find somebody who is less of an idiot doing it.
    I disagree on both points. Elisabeth was not wearing the shirt to provoke a hot topic discussion. She was wearing the shirt because she was proud of an accomplishment of hers. It didn't distract from anything anymore than the clothes that any of the other women wear distract from anything. Honestly, I think it would have been more distracting if she had changed. I'd have sat there wondering why she changed and if that portion of the show was taped instead of paying attention to the guest. TO further counter Barbara, I can recall "Audition" coming up in a couple of interviews. That to me is more distracting than a host wearing clothes.

    And I think that Elisabeth's comparison to JOy's stand up appearances was a very apt one ... not the part about Joy's show involving politics, but the very general "we plug our projects, that's what we do" point. When Joy, or Sherri,or Whoopi, or Barbara have a great accomplishment, they promote it. The same should be extended to Elisabeth.

    Quote Originally Posted by chaserla;3221964;
    I don't think The View could ignore it as the show may have broken the Equal Time Rule and put ABC in a position where they have to offer Senator Obama equal time. If the FCC or the FEC deem that wearing the t-shirt is an hour long McCain campaign ad(giving away air time) then ABC will have to give equal time to Senator Obama's campaign.

    Equal Time Rule


    There are shows that are exempted from this: newscast, on the spot news event, if the interview is included in a documentary and bona fide news interview. I don't believe that the The View qualifies as any of the above type shows.

    By making Elizabeth explain why she wore t-shirt(it was her design) it may give ABC a pass with the Equal Time Rule. It will be interesting to see what happens if anything.
    It was not a violation of the equal time rule. That same argument has been attempted anytime that one candidate appears on an entertainment talk show like the TOnight Show or Oprah, and an oponent does not, and it has never stood. People tried to claim it when Schwartzeneger was running ... they even tried to claim it against networks airing his movies during that time. But it did not stand. Equal time applies to advertising. "Giving away" is included to prevent stations from giving free advertising to one candidate.
    Last edited by Veruka; 10-23-2008 at 06:26 AM.

  5. #5285
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,906

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3221963;
    It's true that they could have dealt with the problem off-camera, but in this case the amount of viewer feedback dictated that it be addressed on air. Pretending that it didn't happen would have just made the story bigger.

    People in Hasselback's job are supposed to know how to handle themselves in a tight corner without losing their charm or grace. The fact that she (and Joy for that matter) turns into a caged animal when disagreed with is not Barbara's fault, nor is it the viewers' faults.

    However it IS Barbara's problem, since she runs the show, so I don't know how much longer she can tread water with this current line-up before she does permanent damage to her own reputation. Sometimes bad press isn't better than no press.
    I totally agree that E needs to learn how to act when she feels cornered. She does act like a baby. I would hate to see her leave, she is pleasant when not talking politics. Maybe she could take a two week "vacation" and they could bring a more level headed republican in until the election.

    I also think Joy didn't help matters any. She was in a snit after O'Reilly and didn't need to snap at E over it, either. The whole thing was handled badly.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  6. #5286
    FORT Fanatic Hobbes07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sunflower field
    Posts
    670

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3221986;
    I disagree on both points. Elisabeth was not wearing the shirt to provoke a hot topic discussion. She was wearing the shirt because she was proud of an accomplishment of hers.
    I agree with this. However, why did it take for Barbara W to mention there were a lot of negative calls about the t-shirt for EH to say 'oh well I made that which is why I wore it'. Why didn't she mention that the day she actually wore it? (which I might have missed her saying)

    To me, it was clearly more than just 'look at what I can do'.

    I have to say though, she did do a good job designing the shirt.

  7. #5287
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3222017;
    I agree with this. However, why did it take for Barbara W to mention there were a lot of negative calls about the t-shirt for EH to say 'oh well I made that which is why I wore it'. Why didn't she mention that the day she actually wore it? (which I might have missed her saying)

    To me, it was clearly more than just 'look at what I can do'.

    I have to say though, she did do a good job designing the shirt.
    It MIGHT have been that she didn't want to toot her own horn on her own. If you look at the way that most of their projects / accomplishments are handled on the show, it's not the individual woman who brings it up. Rather than Whoopi saying "I have an announcement! I'm so excited, I'm going to be in Xanandu" one of the other women says "We heard great news about Whoopi. Tell us about Xanadu". Or Whoopi will say to Joy "So you're giong to be on Larry King tonight" instead of Joy saying "Well enough about potty training, I just wanted to say I'm going to be on Larry King tonight". Obviously I can't say it for sure, but it would not surprise me if Elisabeth left it for one of the other women to acknowledge the shirt so she could explain that she designed it, and no one ever did because they ran out of time, or whatever else.

  8. #5288
    FORT Fogey Lil Bit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,382

    Re: The View

    I honestly didn't even notice Elisabeth's shirt the day before until something was said about it. (that it said AmeriCAIN instead of American) I personally don't see what the big deal about a shirt is although I understand that some might. I just think that this election has gotten so heated between Joy and Elisabeth that it doesn't take anything to tip either one of them off the edge and that just isn't very professional in my opinion.

    I don't care for Bill O'Reilly personally, but I thought he made a fool out of Joy and she was dumb enough to let him. She sat there pouting like a 2 year old the entire time he was being interviewed and the more he joked and laughed off her digs, the madder she got. She should know by now that sometimes you just have to let things go.

    I agree with Veruka too about Elisabeth's shirt. One of the others should have said something about EH designing it. That is done all the time on that show. How many times have they waved that nauseating book of Barbara's under our noses?

    I guess that'll teach Whoopi to take a day off, huh?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #5289
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,125

    Re: The View

    There is no way that I'm buying into the fact that this was more about Elisabeth designing the shirt than it was about her politcal statement. I'm just not that easy. Her strong political views are known and have been subjects of much discussion. If Elisabeth were about 11 years old, I'd buy into the "design theory", but she has done much more with clothing in her lifetime. Kids in girl scouts, and similar groups design t-shirts all of the time, not to mention other kiddie/juvenile groups.

    And putting Barbara's name and "timid" in the same sentence seems so strange to me. This woman hasn't risen to the professional heights that she has by being timid. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, MFW, but I've always seen Barbara as more of a demure, passive-aggressive barracuda.

    One of the definitions of barracuda that I think, especially, applies to Babs: one that uses aggressive, selfish, and sometimes unethical methods to obtain a goal especially in business.
    barracuda - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

    I think that suits her to a tee(-shirt )!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  10. #5290
    Dreamer VelvetRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In Wonderland
    Posts
    3,138

    Re: The View

    Re the 4 women insisting that the arguments only occur on camera ("for you", i.e., the viewers), methinks they doth protest too much.

    On The View, Whoopi reiterated part of her interview on GMA today (debunking the off camera and backstage rumors about squabbles). But she left out the part where she asked Diane Sawyer "how long?", Diane said "until the election? 12 days" and Whoopi reacted with body language (my interpretation: UGH). Another thing she said only on GMA was a spiel about the difference between men arguing, and women arguing. She actually said that only the men roll their eyes while someone else is talking. Has Whoopi ever watched The View (LOL)?!?!?!?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.