+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1808Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

And Bill Geddie is Whoopi's boss. She was way out of line with the eye rolling comment to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3210199;
    No one is there while the " coaching " is going on. Not you,me, Babs or any one on the View so we don't know if she is being taught or told how to best respond. However, it can be said for all the candidates, heck Biden doesn't even know when the depression started and when TV's were invented!

The bottom line on the view is that it is NOT a political show and they act as if they are. No one would have as big a problem with EH if they were not discussing politics. Sure it is a hot topic but there are also many others.
    And God forbid anyone is basing their voting decision on the cackling that goes on on this show.....
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3210253;

And the difference between Elisabeth and Barbara is that Barbara is Elisabeth's boss...and "rank hath it's privileges." They are NOT equals while at work. Babs outranks Elisabeth by miles and miles.
    I would apply that rule to behind the scenes goings on, but do not agree that it applies on the air. A show like this depends on openess of opinions -- you can't squelch that with a hierarchy at the table. Compare it to a round table discussion on NBC prior to Tim Russert's death, or a round table discussion on Fox News that Brit Hume is a part of. Russert was the bureau chief for NBC, so he was the boss of the participants. Hume has that role at Fox, so he's in the same boat now. Both are cases of a boss having to engage in debate with subordinates. (with Russert, I'm not talkinga bout Meet the Press so much, when he was the moderator, but othe NBC programs when he'd be brought in as a commentator). But they don't play the "boss card" on the air to diminish subordinate's points of view. it would make for lousy TV and discussion if they did.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You don't have to play the boss card on the air. When you are with your co-workers/boss, no matter the situation, you would do well to remember that you are always at work. This is an unwritten rule that needs to be understood if you are to do well. It will definitely carry over; a mature, seasoned employee understands this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3210338;
    You don't have to play the boss card on the air. When you are with your co-workers/boss, no matter the situation, you would do well to remember that you are always at work. This is an unwritten rule that needs to be understood if you are to do well. It will definitely carry over; a mature, seasoned employee understands this.
    I've seen mature, seasoned employees of NBC and Fox News take on Hume or Russert in an aggressive way for the sake of debate. They don't play the boss card, written or unwritten because on the air in that position, eithe would merely be a participant in the discussion. While I agree with you that as a general rule in most workplaces, the "always at work" rule in showing respect to a boss is imperative. But to limit the way a person participates in a debate / discussion on something like a TV show, expecting different treatment for the boss than for other panelists, takes away from the quality of the product and therefore the same rule doesn't apply.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I disagree, although I do agree that everybody is entitled to debate. Like I've been known to say in the past, it's not so much what you say as HOW you say it. The "how" is of major importance that could come back to bite you in the butt. You may not be punished for the what, as well you shouldn't be, but you could definitely reap negativity from the "how". And I don't think that that is unfair. It's all in how you handle yourself.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3210352;
    I disagree, although I do agree that everybody is entitled to debate. Like I've been known to say in the past, it's not so much what you say as HOW you say it. The "how" is of major importance that could come back to bite you in the butt. You may not be punished for the what, as well you shouldn't be, but you could definitely reap negativity from the "how". And I don't think that that is unfair. It's all in how you handle yourself.
    I totally agree that it's how you handle yourself -- which is why I said that both Barabara and Elisabeth behaved badly. Neither one of them was handling things in a dignified or professional manner. But again, I hold both of them responsible. I don't see a reason to say "Barbara had just had it, so it was okay ... but Elisabeth had just had it, and needed to zip it".

Now all this said, it is certainly within Barbara's power to say "She spoke mean to me, I want her gone". But for the quality of the show and the things that generate ratings and therefore revenue for ABC, I think that would be a HUGE mistake. If they make a move like that, what it says to all hosts of the show present and future is "Speak you mind ... unless Barbara doesn't agree, and then you must remain silent". If they send that message out to the hosts, then they put it right back to being a boring akward show about nothing (but not from a funny Seinfeld kind of way), the ratings go down, and ABC is not well served.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3210216;
    Lovely! That means we won't have to put up with her incessantly waving her hands in everyone's faces.
    Maybe one of these days while she's waving her hands, Ditzy rises up and gets whacked in the face. I swear i thought today that someone would actually punch her.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey

Poor ole Joy really does need to get a grip.

I do like EH, even though I don't always agree with her. However, I do feel she really blew it today. After they aired the Katie Couric interview where Katie asked Sarah Palin what newspapers and magazines she read.......Elizabeth defended Ms. Palin and said that...'she did not want to give an endorsement to any newspaper or magazine and that is why she did not answer'. That was a ludicrous statement. As I've remarked before, when I, myself, was asked the same question on a job interview, I went ahead and gave the names of papers / magazines and my reasons for reading them. This was not a gotcha question or a trick question, or a question from the 'liberal media', this was just a very basic and simple question designed to elicit information from a candidate applying for the 2nd most important job in America. To defend somebody who did not answer such a basic question undermines EH's credibility.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 10-02-2008 at 04:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread