+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1625Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

And yet, the Alaskan National Guard is actually commanded on the federal level of government - NOT the state level. And what, exactly, qualifies her as an expert in the field of energy?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3210122;
    And yet, the Alaskan National Guard is actually commanded on the federal level of government - NOT the state level. And what, exactly, qualifies her as an expert in the field of energy?
    I am not going to argue on Elisabeth's behalf on this thread. Those would have been good questions to ask her, and Sherri did bring up the point about he national guard. I was correcting the record saying Elisabeth never answered the question.

I will say that I think it would be quite fair for the other women to do the same -- give 3 reasons why Barack Obama is qualified. Well, except for Whoopi since she's argued that none of them are qualified.

FORT Fogey

Barbara showed yesterday why she has become a joke.

She was complaining about Governor Palin being coached for the debate when all candidates are coached for debates.

Barbara was extremely unprofessional in all areas yesterday. Why not ask Joy was she always attacks Governor Palin instead of asking Elisabeth why she defends her? If the attacks were not there, then Elisabeth would not have to defend.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3210123;
    I am not going to argue on Elisabeth's behalf on this thread. Those would have been good questions to ask her, and Sherri did bring up the point about he national guard. I was correcting the record saying Elisabeth never answered the question.

I will say that I think it would be quite fair for the other women to do the same -- give 3 reasons why Barack Obama is qualified. Well, except for Whoopi since she's argued that none of them are qualified.
    Woopi is exactly correct.. NOT one of them is qualified.

I have always looked at Elections as the lesser of the evils. An in all fairness, judging Sarah and Obama on the same level is not at all right. Sarah is not running.. nor would she have been able to run for.. the Pres. office. She is on the ticket as a VP.. not much better but still different than Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;3210134;
    Barbara showed yesterday why she has become a joke.

She was complaining about Governor Palin being coached for the debate when all candidates are coached for debates.

Barbara was extremely unprofessional in all areas yesterday. Why not ask Joy was she always attacks Governor Palin instead of asking Elisabeth why she defends her? If the attacks were not there, then Elisabeth would not have to defend.
    Because Joy and the others.. give the reasons for attack. EH didnt' give reasons to like her or defend her. The reasons she gave were not fully correct, showing how much EH did 'study for her 4th period pop quiz'.

Babs is right about the coaching. Yes they ALL have coaching.. and IMHO, Biden is in need of his fair share... but in Palins case.. it is a just get her thru this type of hting and I dont think any of it will stick with her. She should be prepped and coached on how to answer based on what she knows already.. not by teaching the answer, and proving how little she knows.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fanatic

No one is there while the " coaching " is going on. Not you,me, Babs or any one on the View so we don't know if she is being taught or told how to best respond. However, it can be said for all the candidates, heck Biden doesn't even know when the depression started and when TV's were invented!

The bottom line on the view is that it is NOT a political show and they act as if they are. No one would have as big a problem with EH if they were not discussing politics. Sure it is a hot topic but there are also many others.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3210199;
    The bottom line on the view is that it is NOT a political show and they act as if they are. No one would have as big a problem with EH if they were not discussing politics. Sure it is a hot topic but there are also many others.
    I think they've gotten themselves into a tricky little situation here. I agree with you that The View is not supposed to be a political show. However, over the past couple of years (since Meredith left really) they have discovered that when they talk politics, it generates more buzz about the show, and more importantly it generates higher ratings. So they gear a lot of the hot topics towards politics, and have started to gear some of their guest bookings the same way, to cash in on what works. It is all well and good except that the people they cast were not cast for a political show. Whoopi MAY have been, but the others aren't.

Since they weren't cast for politics, none of the (again, with the possible exception of Whoopi) have the knowledge needed to break politics down on a daily basis. And more importantly, things are not cast to provide a balance of points of view, as would be done on a political show. This is all fine ... except when viewers get mad that they 1) can't put together a coherent argument and 2) aren't balanced.

If Elisabeth were to go and be replaced by a different young conservative voice, the problem would still be the same. They still wouldn't be informed, and they still woudlnt' be balanced. They can't have it all ways. They will never be a good political show. That said, if you go back to the original point of the hot topics segments of the show -- women talking as they would around a table sipping coffee -- it would be totally expected for that coffee talk to go to politics at times. But the comparison there is to a coffee shop -- not to "The Capitol Gang". The producers can't lose sight of that reality, and neither can the women when they're having the discussions.

FORT Fogey

On a happy note, Babs is not there today.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Lovely! That means we won't have to put up with her incessantly waving her hands in everyone's faces.

On the whole "experienced to be president" agrument Bill Clinton hit the nail on the head a couple of weeks ago when he mentioned no one is technicially ever really "ready" to be president. Then on the other hand you have those like Bush whom even after having gained experience being president, still manages to muck things up the second time around, so there you go.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Honestly, I see the job of President of The United States as OJT....on the job training. No one is ready when they step into it.

And the difference between Elisabeth and Barbara is that Barbara is Elisabeth's boss...and "rank hath it's privileges." They are NOT equals while at work. Babs outranks Elisabeth by miles and miles.

I'm guessing that Elisabeth is getting bolder in her actions on the show because she has made up her mind that she is leaving, anyway, so 'what the heck!'

This panel is made up of a group of US citizens and they like to discuss what is going on in their country. I don't think you have to be a political show to have a strong opinion. They not only have to keep an audience interested; they have to keep themselves interested. Politics have been the most interesting thing going for years now for people who choose to be in on/interested in what is going on around them in the everyday world.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3210253;
    Honestly, I see the job of President of The United States as OJT....on the job training. No one is ready when they step into it.
    True enough.

I'm guessing that Elisabeth is getting bolder in her actions on the show because she has made up her mind that she is leaving, anyway, so 'what the heck!'
    I couldn't help but think this yesterday as I watched Elizabeth's demeanor towards BW. Damn she was pissy! LOL Seems as though she's laid her cards on the table and knows she'll be leaving soon and therefore doesn't feel the need to save face anymore. In times past during disputes, once BW put her hand out to calm Elizabeth down, she'd usually cower sulkingly into her corner so-to-speak, only because she was being chastised by the boss. Yesterday however it seemed as though she could give a flying hoot as to how her behaviour towards BW came off.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread