+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1563Likes

Thread: The View

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3200686;
    If Obama doesn't appear, then he's saying nothing to a group of people who need to know.
    Yes, IF he doesn't appear. But we have no proof that he won't.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

He has not confirmed yet, and Whoopi has made some comments to imply they're not close to getting him. So until that changes, I won't give him credit for doing something he's not doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3200683;
    That isn't the point, the questions were no problem it was the delivery and the treatment. BW never once looked McCain in the eye she looked all around and down and she interrupted him as he was attempting to answer the question. Joy and Whoopie made so many disdainful faces and the over all attitude of the interview was very rude. The body language was so off putting. The questions could have been even harder or more indepth no problem, I just have a problem with the women (EH excepted) showing absolutely no class what so ever.
    There was no reason to act unprofessionaly and to be hostile. They could have still been tough with out being such jerks.
    I totally agree! I say bring on the hardest questions that you can. BUT, treat your guests like you really want to hear their answers to the tough questions. Whether you agree with them or not, let them answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom;3200830;
    I totally agree! I say bring on the hardest questions that you can. BUT, treat your guests like you really want to hear their answers to the tough questions. Whether you agree with them or not, let them answer.
    I haven't watched this show for long but it seems to me that Barbara does this on a certain level with a lot of people. That's one of the first things I noticed when I started watching. She monopolizes the conversation and will often talk over the others. Maybe she's gotten used to things being this way because the other women show her a lot of deference. I'm not making excuses for her. I thought she was rude but I also think she's rude to many others too.

I agree, LilBit. Oprah's pretty bad at doing that as well. In fact, I honestly think she might be a bit worse because not only does she cut them off and not let them finish, but she does so so that she can provide them the answer that she's looking for. So she cuts them off and says "what you're saying is X, Y, and Z, right?" It's as if she asks the question because she wants to demonstrate her knowledge, not that of her guest. On the flip side, however, is the obnoxious interviewer like Barbara who asks questions without the apparent intention of waiting for an answer or providing one herself. Hmmm.. I guess I do prefer Oprah, annoyance and all.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

That's one of the reasons that I don't watch Oprah any more.

I personally didn't feel that the other women were all that hard on the McCains, but since I'm a democrat, I may see things from that point of view.

FORT Fanatic

Just asking because you point out you are a Democrat and might see it different, did you notice BW not looking McCain in the face at all? Only looking away and at some moniter or something? I think that bothered me soo much more than just about anything. At least look the person in the eye.

I noticed that too, and also her arms were crossed which is very blatant negative body language.

Sorry to double post, but the more I think of it the more disgusted I am with her behavior. BW is the "professional" interviewer of the group, the one with the background and experience in interviewing people and for her to behave in the manner that she did is really shameful. I am certainly not a McCain fan by any means, and you can argue that the View is meant to be an entertainment show. The other ladies, except for Elizabeth, were all comediennes before joining the show. They still are, I guess. If they are a little less professional with their interviewing style, you could state that as a reason. Barbara doesn't have that excuse. She should know better.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3200987;
    Sorry to double post, but the more I think of it the more disgusted I am with her behavior. BW is the "professional" interviewer of the group, the one with the background and experience in interviewing people and for her to behave in the manner that she did is really shameful. I am certainly not a McCain fan by any means, and you can argue that the View is meant to be an entertainment show. The other ladies, except for Elizabeth, were all comediennes before joining the show. They still are, I guess. If they are a little less professional with their interviewing style, you could state that as a reason. Barbara doesn't have that excuse. She should know better.
    I wonder if what we're seeing from Barbara is not some sort of indication of her feeling that she's been diminished among the ABC News world. There was a time when she was considered to be either one of the leading if not the leading news personality they had. If there was a major news event with an accompanying interview, Barbara was the one to do it. In some ways, it wasn't just an ABC thing -- if a major news event happened, we all knew it had reached major level when Barbara was the one dispatched for an interview.

Nowadays, what was the last major interview Barbara did? ABC landed the first interview with Sarah Palin, which was major -- but it was done by Charlie Gibson. For other big stories, they've been done by Charlie, Diane Sawyer, or someone else in the news department. Barabara is no longer the news star. In the eyes of ABC, it's like The View is all she has.

I can see where that would be a deliberate decision by ABC. But I can also see how they would not officially voice it to her. So if she's feeling it, she could be feeling crushed by it, and trying to raise her profile on her own with The View.

+ Reply to Thread