+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;3200254;
    They did not interview Obama and McCain the same. I have absolutely no problem with the questions posed to the McCains it was the manner and the rudeness. Of course the questions put to Obama were " are you really related to Brad Pitt"? and BW comment of we think you looked so sexy! Seriously, is that even remotely comparable?
    I saw a side by side interview of both candidates when on the view today and it was appalling that they can't act professionaly even just a little bit. They showed absolutely no class at all in McCains interview. If you don't like him fine, at least respect that he possibly may hold that office and respect that. I was absolutely disgusted by their behavior.
    They haven't interviewed Obama since he got the Democratic nomination. Last interview with him was before not after.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3200369;
    They haven't interviewed Obama since he got the Democratic nomination. Last interview with him was before not after.
    I know the ladies have made that distinction, and I can somewhat appreciate it, but the more I think about it, the more I disagree with it. At the time that Obama (and Hillary) were on the show, they were both still in the heat of battle for the nomination. If there justification of a hard hitting interview now is that voters need to know the answers to tough questions to make a choice, wouldn't the same have been true when Democratic voters were choosing a nominee?

I personally think the truth is that the producers of the show (and Barbara Walters) have seen an opportunity, and their siezing it. They know that the show has gotten more attnetion over the past couple of years for political discussions. They know now (unlike when the candidates were on during the primaries) that Oprah will not be serving as a daytime venue for the candidates as she has in the past. I think they see an opportunity with a void, and they're trying to fill it. I don't fault them for it. But I just don't think it makes senseto say that hard hitting doesnt' matter in a primary, but does in a general election.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3200291;
    The 2 page summary of your 2006 tax returns is silly and doesn't quite count as disclosure. Where are her 2007 tax returns? Where is the full tax return that shows investments? As a multi-millionaire that stands to benefit from any tax policy that her husband puts forth, people should question why the secrecy. And the talk about her investments and where a good source of her investment income comes from is a bit shady.

Most people watching television interview shows know that there are certain topics that are off limits. Both Michelle Obama and Cindy McCain are within all realms of decency and rights to refuse to answer certain questions. Doing it publicly versus privately does nothing to change the fact that the question is offlimits and it does not make Cindy McCain look any better because she did it in public. She didn't answer squat diddly. Who cares whether it was asked or not?
    Along that train of thought... we have no idea what topics were on the list of things Michelle Obama did not want to discuss. For all we know, those topics also might have had nothing to do with the election. And yet, with the snide comment that Elisabeth felt necessary to make - she gave the overall impression that Michelle was "hiding things". Extremely unprofessional - and very possibly, extremely misleading. Yet, she had no issue with Cindy not wanting to discuss the number of homes that she owns. It just boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;3200094;
    Barbara, Joy and Whoopi were very rude to Senator and Mrs McCain when they were on last Friday. The McCain's handled it very graciously though.

I compare the way they badgered them to Rosie's rude ambush of Tom Selleck back on her show.

The View seemingly has enough trouble booking guests without them being rude to them.
    Asking relevant questions of the people who want to be president is NOT being rude. If the main stream media is on the McNasty's pocket at least SOMEONE is doing the job. If they can not handle truthful questions from a few ladies, then they can NOT handle the real world

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3200216;
    There is nothing wrong with the truth and there is nothing wrong with having a few topics that are not for discussion, nor is there anything remotely wrong about questioning those who wish to be our leader, who are free to answer or not as they see fit. There is, however, something seriously wrong about attempting to impugn someone's character for no comprehensible reason, whether one is successful in their sad, sophomoric attempt or not.
    EXACTLY

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3200300;
    And Barack and Michelle's comments came off as very ... silent.
    Exactly...especially since they haven't been back on the show yet.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3200652;
    Exactly...especially since they haven't been back on the show yet.
    That was my point. It's easy to be critical of the people who face the fire, and acknowledge that it was fire. But to me, doing that takes a heck of a lot more than those who just avoid it all together. Anyone can come out smelling like a rose then.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3200676;
    That was my point. It's easy to be critical of the people who face the fire, and acknowledge that it was fire. But to me, doing that takes a heck of a lot more than those who just avoid it all together. Anyone can come out smelling like a rose then.
    Well it's easier to be critical of those who have "faced the fire" as you put it, since we have something to critic as opposed to critiquing those who haven't yet said anything, don't you think? It's pretty hard to critic nothing.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3200408;
    Asking relevant questions of the people who want to be president is NOT being rude. If the main stream media is on the McNasty's pocket at least SOMEONE is doing the job. If they can not handle truthful questions from a few ladies, then they can NOT handle the real world

That isn't the point, the questions were no problem it was the delivery and the treatment. BW never once looked McCain in the eye she looked all around and down and she interrupted him as he was attempting to answer the question. Joy and Whoopie made so many disdainful faces and the over all attitude of the interview was very rude. The body language was so off putting. The questions could have been even harder or more indepth no problem, I just have a problem with the women (EH excepted) showing absolutely no class what so ever.
    There was no reason to act unprofessionaly and to be hostile. They could have still been tough with out being such jerks.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3200680;
    Well it's easier to be critical of those who have "faced the fire" as you put it, since we have something to critic as opposed to critiquing those who haven't yet said anything, don't you think? It's pretty hard to critic nothing.
    In a campaign, no I don't agree. The questions asked on The View are being justified by saying that we're choosing a leader we need to know. I agree with that. But if we need to know, the candidates have to make themselves available to answer the questions. If Obama doesn't appear, then he's saying nothing to a group of people who need to know.

+ Reply to Thread