+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3194088;
    And she was there what, in June? It looks petty to still be seething about it. If she was vetoed on the show from bringing up whatever issue she had with Michelle, it looks personal to be bringing it up now.
    Was she actually seething? I've heard the remark several times now, and I don't detect any seething. In fact, I detect a desire to compliment Cindy McCain that FAR outweighs any feelings towards Michelle Obama. It was a luncheon honoring Cindy McCain, and she honored her.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3194306;
    Was she actually seething? I've heard the remark several times now, and I don't detect any seething. In fact, I detect a desire to compliment Cindy McCain that FAR outweighs any feelings towards Michelle Obama. It was a luncheon honoring Cindy McCain, and she honored her.
    And there were other ways that she could have honored her without bringing Michelle Obama's name into it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3194387;
    And there were other ways that she could have honored her without bringing Michelle Obama's name into it.
    And she did. It's not like she got up on the stage, shared that story, and didn't say another word.

You know, the flip side of this is that Michelle Obama would have received no criticism whatsoever if she'd just shown up and one the show. I recall when the behind the scenes show aired, the Lohans received all sorts of criticism for all the demands they put on what could and could not be discussed in their interview. It was declared to be diva-like behavior. Michelle Obama did the same thing. Had she not had a single request on topics, I'm willing to bet that the discussion would have gone exactly the same way. If not - if a topic came up she did not want to cover - she could have given a simple "I'd rather not go there" answer like Meghan McCain did yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3194306;
    Really? I find it difficult to believe that anyone could watch that clip and not hear the disdain and see the snide look on Elisabeth's face. It's pretty blatant. And anyone that needs to tear someone down in order to compliment another is immature and unprofessional. It was a completely unnecessary dig at Michelle Obama to play for a partisan crowd.

And I love how you twist this back on Michelle Obama. I don't believe it's uncommon for any interviewee to tell a show that "I'd rather not talk about X, Y, or Z," particularly when it deals with their private lives. And I believe it would be much more common in the event of someone connected to a political figure.

But, bottom line, no matter how one tries to spin it... you just do not go out in public and insult and/or mock guests and share behind the scenes stories. You don't do it. If the show chose to do it for one reason or another, that's their prerogative. The Lohans also knew that they were being filmed for a behind the scenes segment. If they chose to still act like divas.. then they're subject to whatever reception they receive. Michelle Obama did not agree to that and she shouldn't be subjected to that. No one should.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3194416;
    I don't believe it's uncommon for any interviewee to tell a show that "I'd rather not talk about X, Y, or Z," particularly when it deals with their private lives. And I believe it would be much more common in the event of someone connected to a political figure.
    If that is the case, then its all the more reason for Elisabeth to bring it up in honoring Cindy McCain. If most behave like Michelle, and Cindy did not, then at a luncheon honoring her, it should be mentioned that she's more open and accomodating than the average political wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3194418;
    If that is the case, then its all the more reason for Elisabeth to bring it up in honoring Cindy McCain. If most behave like Michelle, and Cindy did not, then at a luncheon honoring her, it should be mentioned that she's more open and accomodating than the average political wife.
    It still wouldn't be actually necessary to bring up other guests' names. A simple "thank you for allowing us to interview you without restrictions - you are very brave" would have sufficed.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

But it would not have generated nearly as much publicity for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3194430;
    But it would not have generated nearly as much publicity for the show.
    You do not tear down another to make someone else look good. Simple as that. Should be a cardinal rule for anyone living their life. It's even more important for someone in Elisabeth's position.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw part of the speech EH made about Michelle O. last night, EH was forceful while she said things about MO. EH is a , wish they would fire her from The View. She made the remarks about MO because she is a Republician, period.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Bottom line is that Elizabeth was out of line. Period. Frankly, I don't think she's ever looked more ridiculous than she did in the clip of her at the luncheon dinner making said comments. Her comments were way out of line. I wouldn't be surprised if even Cindy McCain felt a little uncomfortable with Elizabeth's little diatribe - if not for anything else other than how stupid Elizabeth looked making the comments. I am finding it hard to stick up for Elizabeth anymore.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 09-10-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread