+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1626Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;3163962;
    Regis Philbin is not employed by the news division of a major network, as is BW. He is an entertainer. There is a big difference, IMO.

Well, IMO, they are two similar personalities who thrive on being in front of the camera, doesn't matter who employs them. Neither one of them will leave the limelight willingly.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3164004;
    I was starting to enjoy the show when Whoopi came on as she seemed to be the 1 voice of reason on the panel. Now, however, she is just starting to seem kind of bland. Barbara turned me off with all her shameless plugging of her book. Elizabeth seems to have gotten better at arguing. She doesn't get nearly as emotional as before. Joy does not come across as funny as she used to. She seems more biting than satirical. Sherry is just too ditzy to be taken seriously.
    I think the show is starting to lose its edge. It needs some updating ASAP.
    I think this show has jumped the shark.
    Susan

FORT Fogey

I stopped watching The View shortly after Rosie left. Not because of her leaving; I was just done with Barbara. She is hopelessly square, self absorbed and humorless. She irritates and tires me. I see that nothing has changed. Sounds like the same old show with a couple of new players.

This show started going downhill the minute Meredith left. She was the glue that held the show together. They also made a huge mistake replacing Lisa Ling with Elizabeth.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think anything was seriously lost when Meredith left. I think both of her replacements have been more interesting than she was. What I remember most, about Meredith, was that she really liked to drink wine, she talked about not wearing underwear, and she danced in some ridiculous outfit when her baseball team lost the World Series (I think).
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3168271;
    I don't think anything was seriously lost when Meredith left. I think both of her replacements have been more interesting than she was. What I remember most, about Meredith, was that she really liked to drink wine, she talked about not wearing underwear, and she danced in some ridiculous outfit when her baseball team lost the World Series (I think).

I agree, Meredith was good on the show but the new hosts that have taken her place have been very entertaining! I think the new casts work very well together and they seem to have sparks flying all the time on the show with the new ladies! They keep it fresh and interesting for sure!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz;3168200;
    This show started going downhill the minute Meredith left. She was the glue that held the show together. They also made a huge mistake replacing Lisa Ling with Elizabeth.
    I couldn't agree more. Meredith was the sensible one who kept the show balanced, in my opinion.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

While I'll admit that I didnt' watch the show as often when Meredith was on (I blame that on not having DVR then more than an preference to the show one way or the other I think the big difference between her and either Rosie or Whoopi after her is that Meredith served more as moderator while Whoopi and Rosie serve more as a panel member. Meredith usually threw a topic out there, and then just listened while the others batted it around. It provided more order to the show, but was also a bit unfair to Meredith. On "hot" topics, we didn't really get to hear her point of view, and it left her to say outlandish things like talking about not wearing underwear in order to be noticed at times.

I'm not sure that the moderator role is one that could ever be replaced in the fashion that Meredith did it. She took the role on as the show was being created, so she really didn't have the notion in her head of putting her own ideas out there. With replacements after the original cast, if you say "do you want to co-host The View", that comes with it an idea that you're going to get equal participation in the debates.

IF they wanted to get back to a true moderator as Meredith did it, I think the only way to do so would be to hire a news person - like a Deborah Roberts or Elizabeth Vargas, who is used to playing the ask questions but don't offer answers role. That's what Meredith came from too. But they've hired Whoopi and Rosie for their outspokenness. you can't exactly hire that, and then expect to muzzle it for the sake of sanity on the show.

FORT Fanatic

am watching the show with trisha yearwood. i'm amazed at how much the women keep bringing up her husband...and asking about him. i don't believe they asked her about music/performing/her next cd...

also - if you have netflix, you should get eddie izzard's "dressed to kill". it's hilarious if you like intelligent/history type of humor. i suggest you use subtitles to understand him better. i didn't find his other "live" dvd's very funny. i own 4 BBC pride and prejudice type of dvds AND this eddie izzard dvd. that's it. enjoy!
    Last edited by babyfat101; 08-20-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;3170416;
    am watching the show with trisha yearwood. i'm amazed at how much the women keep bringing up her husband...and asking about him. i don't believe they asked her about music/performing/her next cd...
    The ladies did ask her about her music and performing and what not right before she did actually perform. I think they were just so distracted by all of her good food she had there. Sherri with the rib bone was hilarious! They made me really want to go get that book which is why I believe Mrs. Yearwood was there in the first place

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread