+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1635Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I'll have to say that Elisabeth is my favorite on the show. I like Joy and Sherri more than Barbara and Whoopi, but miss Meredith and sometimes Star. I don't watch the show as regularly as I used to. I think it's sort of run it's course with me.

Did anyone happen to catch Joy hosting Larry King last week? EH called in to the show and "got into it" a bit with Fran Drescher. The video is on the CNN website.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3145838;
    Did anyone happen to catch Joy hosting Larry King last week? EH called in to the show and "got into it" a bit with Fran Drescher. The video is on the CNN website.
    Could you describe the exchange? What were they discussing? I can't get CNN videos to play on my computer for some reason.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz;3145864;
    Could you describe the exchange? What were they discussing? I can't get CNN videos to play on my computer for some reason.
    it's in my post on the last page. It was more about the N-word debate (yet again)

Fran said something to the effect of "What's with the crying? Is that how she wins battles with her husband?"

EH called in and said "I was busy watching Hannity & Colmes and wanted to pop in and see you Joy. And I had to express my disappointment in Fran. You speak about women's rights and you certainly wasted no time in cutting another woman down....."

I thought Fran delt with it rather well. Fran still expressed she had no idea why she was crying and said, "I dont want to fight with you and you've already made your point... endlessly" In asking why she cired, she couldnt understand, as many of us do, why she has to cry to make her points.

Fran made her point and EH ended with saying "i am not offended, but think we (her and fran) needed to walk with caution with one another and not cut eachother down"
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Some of Elisabeth's actions are equivalent to tantrums. I don't even find tantrums attractive in children, much less adults. Remember the tantrum she had when she ended up sitting on BW's lap?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3145541;
    As to the discussion about Elisabeth talking over everyone I have to ask, has any one of you watched the show from it's first episode? I watched it religiously for the first couple of years and that talking over each other has always been about the same. That was before Elisabeth came on. Elisabeth is the third "twit"(whatever that is) to occupy that chair and the others talked over each other too, just as Meredith, Star and Rosie did and Joy and Barbara occasionally do. That is the one reason that I seldom watch any more. It just got old trying to understand what the heck they were saying. I think it has just gotten on peoples nerves worse since Meredith left because she seemed to have a better way of getting things back on track than either Rosie or Whoopi have done.
    I actually have watched The View from it's inception, and want to comment on that aspect a bit. When it began, it was actually a pretty intelligent show (have to admit, I was surprised by this) and I didn't think Debbie Matenopoulos was as bad as was reported. She was by no means the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she was tolerable. Star was very professional and I really enjoyed her until she began losing the weight and dating "Al" . I also liked what Lisa Ling brought to the table - her youth did not affect her knowledge of current issues. They had a really good mix for a few years.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that Barbara is waaay past her prime and needs to retire already. I swear the woman is senile at this point. I find it extremely annoying that she feels the need to explain every.little.thing to "the audience" as though we are a group of children. Her superiority complex is just a bit much.

Meredith was a much better moderator than any of her replacements - but I think Rosie did a good job in the beginning. Same with Whoopi - good job at the start, and then all downhill from there. That leads me to believe that the problem is with the producers and what they allow or don't allow the women to say/do. It really appears that everyone has to tiptoe around Elisabeth. I really notice this with Joy. She has always been good on this show - but you can see that it is wearing on her and she has almost just given up on trying. She is holding back much too much. She is extremely intelligent and shows what she is capable of (Larry King) when not muzzled.

Overall, I think the show has run it's course. They wonder why they don't receive Emmy's and the rest of us think it is pretty clear. I don't know what they can possibly do to fix this trainwreck at this point.

Sorry for the long post - but I didn't notice too many responses to the question of "has anyone actually watched the show from the beginning?" These are just my opinions - for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3145622;
    eloquent ???? LOL she would have to make a point and get her words out with out whining and crying to be eloquent
    Exactly my thoughts. Her whining and crying around with that mousey voice is irritating. She's anything but eloquent. I find Joy much more intelligent as well as eloquent.
    She speaks up with her opinions (which I admire), but doesn't make the others feel she wants pity.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3145969;
    I actually have watched The View from it's inception, and want to comment on that aspect a bit. When it began, it was actually a pretty intelligent show (have to admit, I was surprised by this) and I didn't think Debbie Matenopoulos was as bad as was reported. She was by no means the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she was tolerable. Star was very professional and I really enjoyed her until she began losing the weight and dating "Al" . I also liked what Lisa Ling brought to the table - her youth did not affect her knowledge of current issues. They had a really good mix for a few years.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that Barbara is waaay past her prime and needs to retire already. I swear the woman is senile at this point. I find it extremely annoying that she feels the need to explain every.little.thing to "the audience" as though we are a group of children. Her superiority complex is just a bit much.

Meredith was a much better moderator than any of her replacements - but I think Rosie did a good job in the beginning. Same with Whoopi - good job at the start, and then all downhill from there. That leads me to believe that the problem is with the producers and what they allow or don't allow the women to say/do. It really appears that everyone has to tiptoe around Elisabeth. I really notice this with Joy. She has always been good on this show - but you can see that it is wearing on her and she has almost just given up on trying. She is holding back much too much. She is extremely intelligent and shows what she is capable of (Larry King) when not muzzled.

Overall, I think the show has run it's course. They wonder why they don't receive Emmy's and the rest of us think it is pretty clear. I don't know what they can possibly do to fix this trainwreck at this point.

Sorry for the long post - but I didn't notice too many responses to the question of "has anyone actually watched the show from the beginning?" These are just my opinions - for what it's worth.
    Rosie has said very much the same thing. It is Bill Getty's show and what he wants he gets and that is how come it has gone down hill. Rosie stated they are not allowed to think for themselves and they have to wear an IVF, which she refused to do. If they get off topic or vear to the left, they get admonished

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3145838;
    I saw it. I think that Elisabeth was well within her right to defend herself as she did. Fran was being rather rude and insulting in mocking her passion on the issue. Whoopi also called in, so it's not like she was totally outside the realm to call in. Fran knocked her, and she defended herself. And it took no time at all for Fran to start interrupting, talking over her, and not taking the time to listen to or respect Elisabeth's point of view. Interesting.

What I don't understand is why Elisabeth was so upset by the comment Fran made about her tears when she herself had questioned the authenticity of Hillary's tears? I guess I just don't get how the two things are different. If she doesn't want to be criticized or doubted about her own passionate views - she really should not judge others who do the same. Something about throwing rocks while living in a glass house?

Edited to add -- I also think it was extremely tacky of Elisabeth to mention that she was watching a show on a competitor's channel during her call-in. More power to her to be watching another network - but very tacky and completely unnecessary to mention it in the call! Does the girl have absolutely no common sense? If I were Joy or one of the producers of Larry King - I would be royally pissed off!

+ Reply to Thread