+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3140930;
    Not questioning the validity. I"m rather surprised, for the reasons I laid out. But I've certainly been surprised by things before, and expect to be again. And given that its a brand new revelation from a magazine on newstands now, I'm guessing that I'm not alone in being surprised at the initial rumblings.

Given that this thread is about The View, and not an Elisabeth Hasselbeck thread, it would seem to me that a discussion which involves both women is not a distraction, but rather sticking to the topic at hand.
    The discussion was about Elizabeth and her annoying habit of talking over people. I was just saying that injertecting Joy in a discussion regarding Elizabeth annoying habits was a distraction and untrue. I see it as a literary devise when someone doesn't like a vein of conversation they say look over there, that guy is worst.

Or when two people are arguing about something one person did and the person receiving the blame says well two years ago you did this wrong. It's call distraction. Plus I don't know the whole history of Joy's political view but I know infact that she has been complimentary of at least one Republican and celebrities have enough trouble with all the stupid things they do that they don't need additional rumours spread about them.

Joy is moderately funny to me. And I just think she is pissed off because of the last eight years of having George Bush as President. She was ranting as much under Georgie's father presidency and seemed to admire him and Barbara Bush.

Actually if I was the casting director of the show, I would fire BW and Elizabeth and put somone on like a Carly Fiorina or a younger Elizabeth Dole or Kay Bailey Hutchinson type.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3140997;
    I doubt people would say "more than I care to count" if it were only one. Why paint yourself in a worse light.

If it were just one, she could have easily said, I had one which I very much regret...

Personally I'm not into doubting/second-guessing what a person says or trying to get them not to go by their own script.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;3141012;
    The discussion was about Elizabeth and her annoying habit of talking over people. I was just saying that injertecting Joy in a discussion regarding Elizabeth annoying habits was a distraction and untrue. I see it as a literary devise when someone doesn't like a vein of conversation they say look over there, that guy is worst.

Or when two people are arguing about something one person did and the person receiving the blame says well two years ago you did this wrong. It's call distraction. Plus I don't know the whole history of Joy's political view but I know infact that she has been complimentary of at least one Republican and celebrities have enough trouble with all the stupid things they do that they don't need additional rumours spread about them.

Joy is moderately funny to me. And I just think she is pissed off because of the last eight years of having George Bush as President. She was ranting as much under Georgie's father presidency and seemed to admire him and Barbara Bush.

Actually if I was the casting director of the show, I would fire BW and Elizabeth and put somone on like a Carly Fiorina or a younger Elizabeth Dole or Kay Bailey Hutchinson type.
    You mean distractions, like say, if a person were to point out a flaw in Barack Obama, and another were to say "Oh yeah, but what about what John McCain did?" Like that kind of a distraction? My impression is that this thread had always been about the show -- not a specific cast member. So when we're discussing the show, I've always considered it fair game to discuss all the members of the cast.

As far as re-casting -- if the show were to decide that it wants to focus on politics, I think it would be a good idea. I don't think that Elisabeth is the most effective person out there for arguing conservative political views. But to be quite honest, I don't think that Joy or Sherri are rather effective at arguing their political views either ... and we all know that Barbara won't, her being a part of ABC news and all. But I've never considered it to be a show about politics, therefore, I don't think that political slant is really the reasonto cast any of them. If it were, then they'd need someone to the far left, left of center, right of center, and the far right ... and they don't have that now. I think that Elisabeth brings a heck of a lot more to the table as a young mother than anyone like a Karly Fiorina could do ... or an Amy Holmes or Margaret Hoover.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I can see calling Rosie outlandish, but Elisabeth is not inconsiderate or annoying IMO.
    Oh no no, Ditzy is inconsiderate and quite annoying.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey

I just went back and watched the Shirley McLaine interview -- paying close attention to Elisabeth's questioning. Elisabeth read off a question that was on a card, meaning producers did the research and gave it to her to ask -- something we know is done for all of them since they did the behind the scenes question. Shirley claimed she had no idea what Elisabeth was talking about -- which really implied shoddy prep-work by their producing staff. In the next segment, when they read the passage in question straight from the book the passage stated that it was something that Shirley McLaine did every day -- with a machine she took with her when she travelled so she could do it every day.

So this left me wondering -- Did Shirley McLaine lie in her book? Or, was she trying to deny something was in the book which was true ... the book she was on the show to promote? She went on the show to promote a book. Elisabeth asked her a question about the book. She lied in the answer. I'm not exactly sure how Elisabeth comes out as the bad guy in that equation.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3141233;
    You mean distractions, like say, if a person were to point out a flaw in Barack Obama, and another were to say "Oh yeah, but what about what John McCain did?" Like that kind of a distraction? My impression is that this thread had always been about the show -- not a specific cast member. So when we're discussing the show, I've always considered it fair game to discuss all the members of the cast.

As far as re-casting -- if the show were to decide that it wants to focus on politics, I think it would be a good idea. I don't think that Elisabeth is the most effective person out there for arguing conservative political views. But to be quite honest, I don't think that Joy or Sherri are rather effective at arguing their political views either ... and we all know that Barbara won't, her being a part of ABC news and all. But I've never considered it to be a show about politics, therefore, I don't think that political slant is really the reasonto cast any of them. If it were, then they'd need someone to the far left, left of center, right of center, and the far right ... and they don't have that now. I think that Elisabeth brings a heck of a lot more to the table as a young mother than anyone like a Karly Fiorina could do ... or an Amy Holmes or Margaret Hoover.

I was talking in terms of some one with a conservative point of view similiar to Elizabeth but isn't silly, rude and annoying. Someone who can think for themselves. Maybe one of the morning ladies of Fox could would be a better person. Actually Kathy Lee Giford seems very conservative and is good a hosting. And like I said a younger verson of Karly Fiorina which would mean she could have a family. Amy Holmes has a sickening sweet high voice that would be grating over the long haul but she is very smart. Unlike parrot Elizabeth.

As for interjecting Obama and McCain there is another thread for that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3141312;
    I just went back and watched the Shirley McLaine interview -- paying close attention to Elisabeth's questioning. Elisabeth read off a question that was on a card, meaning producers did the research and gave it to her to ask -- something we know is done for all of them since they did the behind the scenes question. Shirley claimed she had no idea what Elisabeth was talking about -- which really implied shoddy prep-work by their producing staff. In the next segment, when they read the passage in question straight from the book the passage stated that it was something that Shirley McLaine did every day -- with a machine she took with her when she travelled so she could do it every day.

So this left me wondering -- Did Shirley McLaine lie in her book? Or, was she trying to deny something was in the book which was true ... the book she was on the show to promote? She went on the show to promote a book. Elisabeth asked her a question about the book. She lied in the answer. I'm not exactly sure how Elisabeth comes out as the bad guy in that equation.

As much as I cannot stand Elisabeth -- I have to agree with ya here Initially, I thought Elisabeth got it wrong, as she seemed to have a hard time phrasing the question -- however, after the break, Elisabeth read from the book and asked the question again. Shirley looked like the biggest fraud!!

FORT Fogey

Yes, Shirley looked terrible during that interview. I guess she has forgotten the content of the book she allegedly wrote. I loved that Elisabeth got the book and found the correct passage.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3141321;
    As much as I cannot stand Elisabeth -- I have to agree with ya here Initially, I thought Elisabeth got it wrong, as she seemed to have a hard time phrasing the question -- however, after the break, Elisabeth read from the book and asked the question again. Shirley looked like the biggest fraud!!
    Overall, I think the show handled it very well. By reading from the book, the integrity of the show (I don't see it as being about Elisabeth) was defended. Then they gave Shirley a chance to answer to it, and then another host moved on to another subject. They defended themselves, but did not take her down in a combative way in the process.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think the main thing about Elisabeth that drives me crazy, besides that screechy, shrill timbre/tone of her voice is that when she's in "discussion" it seems like she is so busy focusing on what it is she is going to say that she is not listening to what is being said, which leads to her rolling over what other people are saying at the time. If she'd just take the time to listen, this problem might not be so noticeable and annoying.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread