+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3139266;
    In my opinion, I just don't see it that way with Joy or Whoopi, though. they state their opinions or oppose Elisabeth's in a way that is NOT the mindset of an aged person so set in their ways. They can't help Elisabeth is the only conservative on that panel of women. Elisabeth has every right to express her opposing views, too. A person can't use the .."oh, she's outnumbered because she's the only one on there who isn't liberal".. She has just as much right to her views as the rest, and she gives them...over and over and over. It's not that she's "outnumbered" that gives her justice to be so defensive against the other women any more than it would make it right for Joy, Whoopi or Sherri to sit up there and get so defensive, red-faced and cry over expressing their views. It's the WAY she delivers her views. Her immediate defensiveness in giving her views on any topic for me, is a total turnoff. She is defensive the minute she starts giving her view. I think the fact the other women are such opposite in demeanor is what makes it stand out even more in Elisabeth.

I would love for them to do a week, just as an experiment, where Whoopi, Sherri, and Barbara had the week off, and the panel was Elisabeth, Joy, Laura Ingraham, and Amy Holmes. Just for a week, give us a panel that is 3 conservatives (two extremely well spoken) and one liberal. If we got that, I'm willing to bet we'd hear more from Joy. I'm willing to bet she'd be louder, more defensive, and perhaps even more emotional.

When you're one of many with an opinion, its easy to tag-team, and at times to just sit back allowing someone else to argue your point of view. When you're one of one, you know full well that if you don't speak up, no one else is going to defend your point of view. That's why I think that it does matter that Elisabeth is the soloist for the conservative point of view.

To further that point, look at the discussions they've had about taxes. In that area, Whoopi has rather conservative points of view. And when they get into those issues, Elisabeth tends to be a little more quiet.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Wouldn't it be a nice show if everyone took their turn in making a point, and then letting the next person talk without interruption, and so on? And once everyone had given their point of view, go on to the next topic. But that wouldn't make good tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3139277;
    I would love for them to do a week, just as an experiment, where Whoopi, Sherri, and Barbara had the week off, and the panel was Elisabeth, Joy, Laura Ingraham, and Amy Holmes. Just for a week, give us a panel that is 3 conservatives (two extremely well spoken) and one liberal. If we got that, I'm willing to bet we'd hear more from Joy. I'm willing to bet she'd be louder, more defensive, and perhaps even more emotional.
    I'm sure Joy WOULD speak up and voice her views, as I'd expect from her. I don't see her though getting red-faced to the point of acting angered and overly defensive, non-stop babble until she gets the last word in, or crying about expressing her views.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3139335;
    I'm sure Joy WOULD speak up and voice her views, as I'd expect from her. I don't see her though getting red-faced to the point of acting angered and overly defensive, non-stop babble until she gets the last word in, or crying about expressing her views.
    And that's where we can agree to disagree. I think that we've seen touches of it from Joy from time to time -- the debates on taxes where she is outnumbered being a prime example. I also think we've seen touches of it frm her when she's been faced with a conservative who can lay out logical fact-based arguments, such as Laura Ingraham. If she faced it day in and day out, I think we'd see more of it. I think it's only natural in any environment where one is a lone ranger being told how wrong she is day in and day out.

I don't think we'd see anywhere near this behavior in Joy if faced head-on with issues and outnumbered. Joy can conduct her composure with much more finesse than Elisabeth. It's a matter of opinion, but nevertheless, I see Joy as having much more composure. I've never seen where Elisabeth is told she's wrong day in and day out. they debate her and disagree, but I think a lot of her defensiveness is self-inflicted. I agree with agreeing to disagree.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3136880;
    She chooses to be oblivious to the world outside of her little bubble.
    Exactly. She is so passionate about being a Republician, doesn't matter whether the party is doing a good job or not, that is stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;3137042;
    Sherri is too gimmicky, I keep thinking she is only on panel for playing a stereotype, forgive me for saying.

Anyways, on a side note, did anyone else feel that Meryl was a bit of an ice queen? I thought she was so unpleasant to watch and listen to...i didnt think she was being "motherly" by trying to sit Amanda down......

Sherri, sometimes the things that she says are .

Meryl S., she wasn't very talkative, maybe she's just more reserved. Don't think she's an ice queen but she I was hoping to hear more from here, seems like she just skirted the topics of talk.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3139359;
    Exactly. She is so passionate about being a Republician, doesn't matter whether the party is doing a good job or not, that is stupidity.
    Can someone please refresh my memory on when Joy has gone against party line and argued from her core beliefs rather than the liberal talking point handbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3139076;
    To each his own is my opinion on that. Don't care that she chooses to be Republican and/or conservative.... the thing that gets her attacked so often is her unwillingness to listen and at least consider someone else's point of view on a topic. It shows in her face and body language that she completely shuts down when someone has a differing opinion on a subject. She is just so positive that she is right ALL THE TIME and never wants to hear any other opinions. That is what irritates me (and alot of other viewers) I think, and it also shows her youth and immaturity. Most of us went through that stage (of knowing everything and having all the answers) and then grew out of it as we exited our teens/twenties. She has yet to do this, in my opinion. I know Whoopi and Joy can be extremely opinionated as well but they at least allow others to express opinions and not only listen, but hear contrary opinions. This is what makes a great debate - not the yelling and tears.

Just my opinion here, guys
    Agree. I do not like EH at all, wish they would get rid of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3139367;
    Can someone please refresh my memory on when Joy has gone against party line and argued from her core beliefs rather than the liberal talking point handbook?
    Joy is a democrat, she is for giving this party a chance because the Republician president is not doing a good job. EH isn't.

+ Reply to Thread