+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Rosie makes an easy target because she is passionate about her beliefs and the fact that she is an opinionated lesbian makes it easy for those who condem that lifestyle to go after her and she won't back down.

What I find hilarious is the fact that this is such a dust up in the news, on boards, etc and it probably won't warrant so much as a nod on the show. They have probably made up and put it in the past.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3138646;
    Rosie makes an easy target because she is passionate about her beliefs and the fact that she is an opinionated lesbian makes it easy for those who condem that lifestyle to go after her and she won't back down.
    I think that the part about being passionate about her beliefs and being opionionated makes that statement very true ... and I think the very same is true of Elisabeth. Elisabeth is also an easy target because she's passionate and opinionated. I'm not so sure that I can agree that Rosie's being a lesbian really plays in to it all that much. After all, Elisabeth, or even someone like Kathie Lee Gifford, also becomes an easy target in spite of being heterosexual. Heck, the same has been true of Whoopi on several occasions throughout her career. Then you've got someone like Ellen DeGeneres who is also a lesbian, but is not outspoken about her opinions, and not much of a target. So I'd agree that passionate opinionated people make easy targets, but don't really see how sexuality plays in to it.

FORT Fogey

EH makes an easy target because she is passionate about her beliefs and the fact that she is an opinionated Republican makes it easy for those who condem that lifestyle to go after her and she won't back down.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3138983;
    EH makes an easy target because she is passionate about her beliefs and the fact that she is an opinionated Republican makes it easy for those who condem that lifestyle to go after her and she won't back down.
    To each his own is my opinion on that. Don't care that she chooses to be Republican and/or conservative.... the thing that gets her attacked so often is her unwillingness to listen and at least consider someone else's point of view on a topic. It shows in her face and body language that she completely shuts down when someone has a differing opinion on a subject. She is just so positive that she is right ALL THE TIME and never wants to hear any other opinions. That is what irritates me (and alot of other viewers) I think, and it also shows her youth and immaturity. Most of us went through that stage (of knowing everything and having all the answers) and then grew out of it as we exited our teens/twenties. She has yet to do this, in my opinion. I know Whoopi and Joy can be extremely opinionated as well but they at least allow others to express opinions and not only listen, but hear contrary opinions. This is what makes a great debate - not the yelling and tears.

Just my opinion here, guys
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 07-21-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Rosie made and easy target because she was and is a loud mouthed idiot starting fights with everyone who dared to disagree with her. I could careless about her lifestyle it's her loud obnoxious mouth that truly makes her an ugly human.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3137906;
    This whole thing has been made into Big Bad Whoopi made Poor Little Elisabeth cry...mediawise. Gimme a break!

Shame on Whoopi for having life experience, I guess, huh?

I don't agree with Elizabeth's views, or with how she behaves during debates sometimes (though she had a more than valid point in this one), but I truly can't remember one instance in which the media has been favorable towards her. Maybe Fox News is, it's the only major news network I don't really watch so I wouldn't know, but other networks have always acknowledged her as incompetent/ignorant/emotional/etc. Maybe during the Rosie days some of it existed, I don't remember hearing much in favor of either back then, but I would think that most pro-Elizabeth stuff was more anti-Rosie anyway.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3139076;
    To each his own is my opinion on that. Don't care that she chooses to be Republican and/or conservative.... the thing that gets her attacked so often is her unwillingness to listen and at least consider someone else's point of view on a topic. It shows in her face and body language that she completely shuts down when someone has a differing opinion on a subject. She is just so positive that she is right ALL THE TIME and never wants to hear any other opinions. That is what irritates me (and alot of other viewers) I think, and it also shows her youth and immaturity. Most of us went through that stage (of knowing everything and having all the answers) and then grew out of it as we exited our teens/twenties. She has yet to do this, in my opinion. I know Whoopi and Joy can be extremely opinionated as well but they at least allow others to express opinions and not only listen, but hear contrary opinions. This is what makes a great debate - not the yelling and tears.

Excellent post, and my thoughts exactly.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3139076;

I truly believe that the "she" in that post could apply to all of the women on the show except for Barbara who is still living in this facade of not expressing her own views because she's part of the news division. I MIGHT make an exception for Sherri -- but most certainly not Joy or Whoopi. I don't recall a time that I've ever heard Joy say something like "you know that's a good point, I may have to consider it".

If it's a legitimate claim to say that Elisabeth (just out of her 20s) has not yet grown out of hte mindset of thinking she's got all the answers, then I'd say it is an equally legitimate claim to say that Joy and Whoopi have aged to the point of being so set in their ways that they don't desire to see another point of view. Elisabeth talks her way through anyone else's opinion. Joy ignores her way through anyone else's opinion. What is the difference?

Let's face it -- each of the women on the show is on there because of their firm and passionate views. If they had wishy-washy women who changed their views everytime a good argument was put forth, the show would be boring and confusing to watch.

In my opinion, I just don't see it that way with Joy or Whoopi, though. they state their opinions or oppose Elisabeth's in a way that is NOT the mindset of an aged person so set in their ways. They can't help Elisabeth is the only conservative on that panel of women. Elisabeth has every right to express her opposing views, too. A person can't use the .."oh, she's outnumbered because she's the only one on there who isn't liberal".. She has just as much right to her views as the rest, and she gives them...over and over and over. It's not that she's "outnumbered" that gives her justice to be so defensive against the other women any more than it would make it right for Joy, Whoopi or Sherri to sit up there and get so defensive, red-faced and cry over expressing their views. It's the WAY she delivers her views. Her immediate defensiveness in giving her views on any topic for me, is a total turnoff. She is defensive the minute she starts giving her view. I think the fact the other women are such opposite in demeanor is what makes it stand out even more in Elisabeth.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread