+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1561Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angelic_one2002
    Its the WAY Elisabeth comes across..that annoys some people. She butts in, just as she was trying to do in that particular conversation, and almost always makes whatever issue is discussed very combative. She gets red-faced and very combative/defensive. They may have been on 'the same page' with their thoughts and views, but it's the WAY Elisabeth gets hers across that is so annoying.

and she speaks OVER everyone else, as though her opinions are more important than anyone else's. I just HATE that! Someone should really inform her that she is not the only person on the panel I don't want to hear her opinion on every.single.topic. I wish Joy would speak up a bit more. And although Sherri has some dim moments - she doesn't have the "superior" attitude that Elisabeth has.

Quote:
    I understand that. But I've never understood why Elisbeth is singled out for that behavior. There is not a woman on that show who is not guilty of the same behavior. Each of them has issues they are extremely passionate about, and get very emotional. Each of them can be rather close-minded about some issues. Each of them butts in, talks over the others, and can be more focused on what they want to say than they are on listening to the others. In the conversation yesterday, as with most days, Elisabeth talked over Whoopi, AND Whoopi talked over Elisabeth. It is the way the show functions. I can totally understand why some people don't like it and get annoyed by it. But I've never quite understoond why Elisabeth is lambasted for it, and the others go unnoticed.

I agree that all of them are guilty of it at times. However, Elisabeth seems to do it more often, and always continues to speak over someone else until the other person just gives up on their thought completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3136607;
    and she speaks OVER everyone else, as though her opinions are more important than anyone else's. I just HATE that! Someone should really inform her that she is not the only person on the panel I don't want to hear her opinion on every.single.topic. I wish Joy would speak up a bit more. And although Sherri has some dim moments - she doesn't have the "superior" attitude that Elisabeth has.

I agree that all of them are guilty of it at times. However, Elisabeth seems to do it more often, and always continues to speak over someone else until the other person just gives up on their thought completely.
    Elisabeth is annoying, it's how she talks over people, interrupts them, presents her view that very annoying. Being a Republician, supporting their issues, their causes, issues whether they are good or not.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is a huge difference between ignorance and stupidity. While Elisabeth is not stupid, she definitely chooses ignorance. From what I can see, it is chosen naivete; you can't really know what's going on "out there" if you don't put yourself in a position to learn.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

She chooses to be oblivious to the world outside of her little bubble.

I agree with what everyone has to say about Elisabeth. Whoopi and Joy are the only members on panel that I really care for. Sherri is too gimmicky, I keep thinking she is only on panel for playing a stereotype, forgive me for saying.

Anyways, on a side note, did anyone else feel that Meryl was a bit of an ice queen? I thought she was so unpleasant to watch and listen to...i didnt think she was being "motherly" by trying to sit Amanda down......

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3136664;
    I am a woman, and a middle-aged fat woman at that, so yes, I have experienced discrimination. However, I am white and I know, I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears, that discrimination against blacks is far, far worse than anything I've ever experienced. I've seen a well-dressed (Armani) young co-worker blatantly followed through a department store while looking for a gift for his girlfriend, I've had a supervisor actually tell me not to put an applicant through because "those people are lazy", I've read many, many stories in the paper about black people being stopped because their car was nice enough for a white person, and I've seen countless people scuttle across the street because a well-dressed, middle-aged black person was walking their way. There aren't many of us who've experienced discrimination of that nature.
    Honest to God, this IS a TOTALLY TRUE story:
    Myself and 2 co-workers were just standing around one day while at work. It was slow so ONE of us could leave early.
    The first one said, "I'm a woman, they have to let ME go home first."
    The second one said, "I'm a spanish speaking, they have to let ME go first."
    The first one responded back with "Well, I'm a BLACK WOMAN. They have to let ME go first."
    To which the second one said, " I'M A spanish speaking GAY! I get to go first."
    They both looked at me and I replied, "I'm white. I'm screwed."
    We all started laughing SO HARD. They had never thought about that before!
    No one went home early. We figured we were having more fun standing around talking AND getting paid for it!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3136875;
    There is a huge difference between ignorance and stupidity. While Elisabeth is not stupid, she definitely chooses ignorance. From what I can see, it is chosen naivete; you can't really know what's going on "out there" if you don't put yourself in a position to learn.
    True but when you also put yourself in a position of claiming knowledge that is not yours, when you haven't stepped outside that comfort-filled bubble you really are opening yourself up to criticism. She is free to raise her children in whichever way she chooses but there is a lot of ugly out there and she'd be better served by having honest conversations with them about it than by crying and wishing it didn't exist.
    CYA

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3137677;
    True but when you also put yourself in a position of claiming knowledge that is not yours, when you haven't stepped outside that comfort-filled bubble you really are opening yourself up to criticism. She is free to raise her children in whichever way she chooses but there is a lot of ugly out there and she'd be better served by having honest conversations with them about it than by crying and wishing it didn't exist.
    Her children are about 4 and about 7 months old. One does not have the capacity yet to have a conversation. The other can converse, but would probaby not comprehend the complexities and history of a particular word and the hurt that it brings with it. I think its safe to assume that Elisabeth and Tim, as most any parent, will deal with older children in a different way than they do infants and pre-schoolers. But I don't see the need to lambast Elisabeth for not dealing with Grace as an adolscent now. My sister has kids of similar ages. She'd do whatever was necessary to keep them from being introduced to that word at these ages, deal with it differently when they're older, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3137743;
    Her children are about 4 and about 7 months old. One does not have the capacity yet to have a conversation. The other can converse, but would probaby not comprehend the complexities and history of a particular word and the hurt that it brings with it. I think its safe to assume that Elisabeth and Tim, as most any parent, will deal with older children in a different way than they do infants and pre-schoolers. But I don't see the need to lambast Elisabeth for not dealing with Grace as an adolscent now. My sister has kids of similar ages. She'd do whatever was necessary to keep them from being introduced to that word at these ages, deal with it differently when they're older, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
    SS says that she can and does use the word, but she had better not ever hear it come out of a white persons mouth. After which, IMO, EH brought up a very good point.
    When Grace and Jeffery are playing together and Jeffery uses that word, how does EH teach Grace that it is not okay for her to use it?
    How do you explain to a young child that it is a bad and hurtful word but "it's okay for him to use it", without bringing race into it?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I kind of got a kick out of Sherri saying to BW, after BW asked about BW using the word (BW was making a point, not asking why she couldn't use it), "I don't want to hear it come out of your mouth!" I could have sworn that I saw BW's eyebrows shoot up, and quickly lowered her head! The conversation kept moving. I was rather tickled with Sherri at that moment. I've never heard her talk to BW like that! Refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3137677;
    You are still in your bubble when you are claiming knowledge that really isn't yours...and you can't have honest conversations when you really don't know, from first-hand experience, what you are talking about. You can only parrot what you've heard.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-19-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3137743;
    I did mean that Elizabeth should have these conversations with her children as they get older and ask her the questions that she's anticipating them asking. I don't recall her saying she didn't know how to explain things to her children right now.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread