+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: The View

Wait! No one has commented on today's show? Whoopi and ditzy getting into it about the 'n' word? Ditzy getting emotional about it?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey

Elisabeth was fantastic today. I loved her calling out the double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3135995;
    Wait! No one has commented on today's show? Whoopi and ditzy getting into it about the 'n' word? Ditzy getting emotional about it?
    That twit can't stand to get one upped. she thinks she is so all that and when she can't counter because she knows she was wrong, she tries to make people feel sorry for her hence the tears

FORT Fogey

I thought it was pretty compelling TV. Clearly, all involved feel very passionate about the subject, and I'm glad they got to show that. I'm also glad they let it be discussed, show the feelings, and then bring it to an end at a reasonable time.

In many ways, I think the whole discussion showed more of a difference in age than it did a difference in race. There has undoubtedly been a change in attitudes towards race over the past 3 generations. Whoopi and Elisabeth, being in separate generations, would have different views and ideals in that respect. Whoopi grew up in a generation that identified black as black, white as white, viewed the two as very different, and that was the way it was. Elisabeth (and me) grew up in a generation where black and white were recognized as different, but it was not okay to draw any separate lines as a result of the differences. Now, we've got a generation of children that is coming much much closer to not identifying the races as any sort of difference, and I think that in some ways, parents of Elisabeth's generation deserve some credit for that.

As an example of that point -- my nephew had his fourth birthday party recently, and had about 8 friends from school there. Among the kids, there was a black child, and Asian child, and a latino child. I didn't really think much of it, until one of his grandfather's made a comment after the party about how interesting it was that the kids didn't seem to notice any sort of difference between those three kids and the larger group of white kids. Initially, I was a little disgusted that he'd even MAKE the observation. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized what an illustration of the growth we've had in a few generations.

In this case, I think that Elisabeth's idealism showed her youth, and this time, I don't think that's a bad thing.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have low tolerance for BW.....and Elisabeth tends to get on BW's nerves. That is a positive in BW's column, as far as I am concerned.

Elisabeth tends to live in an unreal, alternate universe, and just doesn't "get it" a lot of times. Ideal-ville does not exist, twit! I think her lack of real world exposure is just pitiful. Kind of sad for someone her age, I think. Sherri is, at times, exactly on Elisabeth's level, too; she seems to bounce back and forth.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The life experiences of Liz and Whoop are so different that its natural they would have a different take on most discussion involving
    class, race and socioeconmic strategies. They only thing that bothers me is the indignant look they both give off if someone does not agree with their opinion.

I'm sure it's frustrating for Whoopi and Elizabeth. Whoopi grew up black and Elizabeth grew up stupid. Many years go by, but things stay the same --- Elizabeth can't relate to Whoopi because she is black and Whoopi can't relate to Elizabeth because she is stupid.

FORT Fanatic

ha sky - good one.

did any one see the show the other day when they were discussing sex toys? and bitsy didn't think that it was proper to use any type of toy when you are in a relationship. there was more to the discussion, but i found that part interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3136062;
    That twit can't stand to get one upped. she thinks she is so all that and when she can't counter because she knows she was wrong, she tries to make people feel sorry for her hence the tears
    I agree. Elisabeth always HAS to be right...and she almost never is. I don't think you can blame her ignorance of the topic on her youth. She's how old??
    Plain ignorance. Simple as that.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

Listening to the words that both Elisabeth and Whoopi were using yesterday, they were both essentially saying the same thing, so I'm not sure the Elisabeth should be classified as being wrong, or as being intolerant of not having her way. After all, they were both stating opinions, so neither was right or wrong.

The crux of Elisabeth's argument was that the hurt and power behind the n-word is something that no human should inflict on another, and that everytime it is repeated with good intention (the "take control back" usage in the black community) it has the unintended consequence of continuining and perpetuating its use for negative means. (Right or wrong, bigots justify their use of it saying "Well they use it, so its okay"). She was arguing that we need to get past it, by not using it at all.

When Whoopi responded to her, the point she was making was not "We're here, we're using it, get used to it". Rather, it was that she agrees that we need to get past it, that we need to move beyond the hurt, and that we need to find a way to do that.

So the two were truly on the same page much much more than they were in disagreement.

+ Reply to Thread