+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1328Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3131598;
    I really enjoyed yesterday's show. I have always been a HUGE fan of Gary Oldman and haven't heard or seen anything with him in it for a while so it was nice to have him on as a guest. He's such a great actor. I had no idea he was starring in the new Batman movie. I was LMBO that the segment was riddled with so many unintentional sexual innuendos. Gary thought it was hilarious too.

I also enjoyed the "Rock the Reception" segment. That would be a really fun thing to do at a wedding reception along with the bridal party.

Best part of yesterday was that there was no BW.
    They did commit one pet peeve of mine yesterday. Not the first time they've done it, but it did stand out for me. Why exactly does Whoopi bring up issues in hot topics that they do NOT go on to discuss? In yesterday's example, she mentioned the passing of Tony Snow and Bobby Murcer, and then immediately moved on to something else. So why mention them? The View is not a news show. Hot topics is not a segment to inform viewers of what is happening -- it's a chance for the hosts to discuss SOME things that are happening. So if they didn't think that talking about Tony Snow and Bobby Murcer would make interesting discussions for hot topics, why just go along without saying anything?

Elizabeth just sarcastically mentioned Sherri's so-called "crush" when Sherri mentioned Obama.... that was a snide comment. I get so tired of her little interjections.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 07-15-2008 at 11:22 AM.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Elisabeth,
    And getting worse.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3131656;
    Elizabeth just sarcastically mentioned Sherri's so-called "crush" when Sherri mentioned Obama.... that was a snide comment. I get so tired of her little interjections.
    I can't really fault her for them, given the number that are thrown her way by Joy and others at time. I think that sort of snide comment is just standard operating procedure for the show.

I see it differently, I guess. I see Joy and some of the others as just tired of her mouth, and wanting to put their own 2 cents in. Some will disagree I'm sure, and see Joy or others as offensive, vocally. I think Elisabeth gets mad so quickly when she disagrees with the others, that she can't even debate.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

And then there's that "manic parakeet" tone to her voice. I always think of the pet stores early in the morning, when the parakeets are all raising hell at the same time.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3131629;
    They did commit one pet peeve of mine yesterday. Not the first time they've done it, but it did stand out for me. Why exactly does Whoopi bring up issues in hot topics that they do NOT go on to discuss? In yesterday's example, she mentioned the passing of Tony Snow and Bobby Murcer, and then immediately moved on to something else. So why mention them? The View is not a news show. Hot topics is not a segment to inform viewers of what is happening -- it's a chance for the hosts to discuss SOME things that are happening. So if they didn't think that talking about Tony Snow and Bobby Murcer would make interesting discussions for hot topics, why just go along without saying anything?
    I noticed that too, and it peeved me also. I think one of the other hosts cut in with a different tidbit of unrelated news or something and that turned the conversation in another direction, and any intention of further discussion of Tony Snow was forgotten. One of my major pet peeves with any talk show, particularly this one (Larry King actually has the market cornered on this - and BW too at times) is when the host asks an important question or brings up a topic and then just as the other person who is answering the question or responding to the topic is getting to the most pertinent, most juiciest part of their answer, the interviewer or host cuts them off by interrupting them with another completely irrelevant, or unrelated question and as a result, I, the listener never get to hear the answer to the original question. Oh, this just KILLS me. Don't the Larry Kings and Barbara Walters care to hear the answers to the questions they ask?? I mean, why ask a question and then blabber on when the answer is being given?

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but yesterday sort of reminded me of that.

One a side note: Elizabeth, whom I usually don't have a problem with, annoyed me with her anti-Obama rant yesterday. Especially since it was clearly out of context with the point of particular discussion yesterday.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 07-15-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;3131732;
    I noticed that too, and it peeved me also. I think one of the other hosts cut in with a different tidbit of unrelated news or something and that turned the conversation in another direction, and any intention of further discussion of Tony Snow was forgotten. One of my major pet peeves with any talk show, particularly this one (Larry King actually has the market cornered on this - and BW too at times) is when the host asks an important question or bring up a topic and then just as the other person who is answering the question or responding to the topic is getting to the most pertinent, most juiciest part of their answer, the interviewer or host cuts them off by interrupting them with another completely irrelevant, or unrelated question and as a result, I, the listener never get to hear the answer to the original question. Oh, this just KILLS me. Don't the Larry Kings and Barbara Walters care to hear the answers to the questions they ask?? I mean, why ask a question and then blabber on when the answer is being given?

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent there. but yesterday sort of reminded me of that.

There have been some times where a tangent has cutoff a discussion like you said, but that wasn't the case yesterday (at least as I heard it). Whoopi mentioned Snow and Murcer, you heard a couple of rumblings of a couple of them agreeing that Snow was an incredibly nice man, and then immediately Whoopi started talking about her experience playing softball in the celebrity game at Yankee stadium. There was certainly a natural segue from Murcer to the game ... but it was only natural if they actually talked about the two men who died first!

At least they were mentioned.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

These were two big interviews, odd that babs wasn't there to kiss a$$.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread