+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I love that Star has spoken up about Babs. Star's comment was fantastic and right on the money.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2977740;
    I love that Star has spoken up about Babs. Star's comment was fantastic and right on the money.
    I completely disagree. I think that Star speaking out shows that it is a sad day when SHE has to resort to such low-class tactics once again to bring someone down in an attempt to elevate herself.

Barbara's book is essentially her turning the interview around on herself. She's revealing the kind of information in her book (and in the interviews to promote the book) that she has spent a career pulling out of other famous people. That is information that garners a lot of attention now, because she has remained mum about it all this time. Unlike Star, Barbara has not lived out every intimate moment of her life on a stage begging the public to pay attention.

Barbara may annoy me on The View, but that does not diminish the respet I have for the career she made for herself, or the sacrifices she had to make to get there. In the world we live in today where every sordid detail of celebrities lives is made public to keep them in the spotlight,I respect that Barabra did not resort to such mesaures to advance herself. I respect that she is now being as honst with her audience as she's asked interview subjects to be over the years. And I respect thatshe's being honest about the sacrifice that she made so that women looking up to her and wanting it all have a better understanding of what she had to give up to have what she has.

Star can't take any of that away from Barbara, and she's making even more of a joke of herself for trying to barge in on that spotlight.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I think Star is now venting her true feelings on the way she felt Barbara wronged her (and yes, I do feel she was wronged) during her exit from the View a couple of years ago. In interviews during the whole fiasco Star bit her tongue, making all the right "saving-face" type of politically correct comments that one utters when they don't want to burn bridges. I.e., kissing BW's a$$ by praising her up during her Larry King interview etc., so as not to tarnish her chances for future jobs in the industry. Now it is all finally coming out and Star is apparently unleasing her pent up anger. I can't say I blame her. Yes, BW has done a lot in her industry and has led a decorated career thus far, paving the way for other females in the industry, and for that she should be heralded. But that does not justify the way she apparently treated Star. To me BW seems to typify the type of boss you kiss up to, to their face, but behind closed doors in secret you vent about how much you can't stand them. I sure as hell woudln't want to work for her.

I hope for nothing but the best for Star Jones and hope she recovers her career successfully somewhere maybe doing legal commentating or something of that nature.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2977844;
    I think Star is now venting her true feelings on the way she felt Barbara wronged her (and yes, I do feel she was wronged) during her exit from the View a couple of years ago. In interviews during the whole fiasco Star bit her tongue, making all the right "saving-face" type of politically correct comments that one utters when they don't want to burn bridges. I.e., kissing BW's a$$ by praising her up during her Larry King interview etc., so as not to tarnish her chances for future jobs in the industry. Now it is all finally coming out and Star is apparently unleasing her pent up anger. I can't say I blame her. Yes, BW has done a lot in her industry and has led a decorated career thus far, paving the way for other females in the industry, and for that she should be heralded. But that does not justify the way she apparently treated Star. To me BW seems to typify the type of boss you kiss up to, to their face, but behind closed doors in secret you vent about how much you can't stand them. I sure as hell woudln't want to work for her.

I hope for nothing but the best for Star Jones and hope she recovers her career successfully somewhere maybe doing legal commentating or something of that nature.

If I believed Star's side of the story on this one, I may agree. But i don't think that Barbara wronged Star AT ALL. I think that Star did herself in, and then looked for someone to blame.

In the Oprah interview, Barbara laid out the history of Star's dismissal very clearly, and since we saw it on the air, we know that it was true. Star went from a very relatable, outspoken woman to a diva who flat out lied to the audience about her life, and expected her co-workers to aid in the lie (which they did). As a result, the show was hurt. The ratings went down, and when ABC looked into why, fingers pointed to Star. Focus groups drive casting decisions all the time, and Star was no different. In this case, she made herself unlikable / unrelatable, so she dug her own grave.

Barbara and Bill, looking out for her, tried to protect her dignity. They were willing to put up a charade to look out for her, while still doing what was best for the show. She rejected that.

Barbara didn't make her lie about her magic weight loss. Barbara didn't make her pimp out her wedding to epic proportions. Barbara didn't make her change to the point that their key audience demographic started looking at her and wondering who on earth she was. Star engineered her own demise. The more she blames Barbara for it, the more evident the truth is.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2977877;
    Barbara didn't make her lie about her magic weight loss. Barbara didn't make her pimp out her wedding to epic proportions. Barbara didn't make her change to the point that their key audience demographic started looking at her and wondering who on earth she was. Star engineered her own demise. The more she blames Barbara for it, the more evident the truth is.
    Absolutely true. If Star had made a half as valid contribution in her chosen field(s) as Barbara has done, or was at least less irritating than Barbara, it would be somewhat easier to take her vitriol at face value.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2977877;
    If I believed Star's side of the story on this one, I may agree. But i don't think that Barbara wronged Star AT ALL. I think that Star did herself in, and then looked for someone to blame.
    Folks' main problem with Star appears to be for two reasons: her plugging her wedding on the show and the way she lied about how she lost her weight. I do agree she should have been forthright about her weight loss methods. I honestly think it would have been great had she informed the viewers ahead of time that she was getting the surgery done and then allow the show to chronicle her ongoing success of her transformation as the rest of the weight came off, sort of how Whoopie is doing right now with the Cardio-Free diet. Star had always been so open and honest about everything else, I am surprise that she wouldn't have wanted to disclose her weight loss surgery to everyone. I really don't know what she expected to gain by being dishonest about it and don't know how she could have assumed the truth wouldnt come out at some point.

In the Oprah interview, Barbara laid out the history of Star's dismissal very clearly, and since we saw it on the air, we know that it was true.

In reference to the way Star made sure she was the one to announce she was leaving the View instead of letting Barbara do it, I am off the following opinion: Barbara came across as appalled that she wasn't able to be the one to drop the bombshell, almost as though she felt Star making the announcement stole away her thunder. IMO, Barbara comes off as a spotlight hogging, "I'm the veteran here so what I say means more than what you say" type of person anyways, so that's what I got from her reaction to Star's announcement that day.

Star went from a very relatable, outspoken woman to a diva who flat out lied to the audience about her life, and expected her co-workers to aid in the lie (which they did). As a result, the show was hurt. The ratings went down, and when ABC looked into why, fingers pointed to Star. Focus groups drive casting decisions all the time, and Star was no different. In this case, she made herself unlikable / unrelatable, so she dug her own grave.

As stated previously I do think Star should have been honest about her weight loss methods and think she could have used it as a way to help others in the same situation, possibly.

Barbara didn't make her lie about her magic weight loss. Barbara didn't make her pimp out her wedding to epic proportions.

But as the boss, she did allow it. She could have, probably even should have put a stop to it since she's the boss, if she didn't like it.

Star engineered her own demise. The more she blames Barbara for it, the more evident the truth is.

Well it appears that no matter whom Barbara tangles with (see Rosie O'Donnell) she always comes out smelling like a rose, because she's the respected, veteran tv journalist. And while it not may be the smartest thing for Star to start burning her bridges at this point, I am glad to see someone speak out against the n'ere do wrong, untouchable, my-$hit doesn't-stink, high and mighty, ever-so-important, name-dropping Barbara Walters and knock her down a peg or two.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2977965;
    In reference to the way Star made sure she was the one to announce she was leaving the View instead of letting Barbara do it, I am off the following opinion: Barbara came across as appalled that she wasn't able to be the one to drop the bombshell, almost as though she felt Star making the announcement stole away her thunder. IMO, Barbara comes off as a spotlight hogging, "I'm the veteran here so what I say means more than what you say" type of person anyways, so that's what I got from her reaction to Star's announcement that day.
    I don't see a lot of reason to not believe the story that Barbara shared in her book and on Oprah as the source of her anger. She said there that Bill had found out the morning of Star's announcement about her People Magazine interview, but that Barbara did not know about it until after the show. In that interview, she said that Bill and Barbara betrayed her and forced her out, which was not true. If someone gave an interview to People lying about me, I'd be angry at the lie more than I would be angry and not saying something first. Barbara's account seems logical enough that i don't see a reason to not take it as the truth.

But as the boss, she did allow it. She could have, probably even should have put a stop to it since she's the boss, if she didn't like it.
    Well again, as Barbara said on Oprah and in the book, they did. Originally, they ok'd Star taking the approach to her wedding that she did, because they didn't realize what extremes she'd go to. Once they realized how far she was going, and the effect it was having on the show, they instructed her to stop. At that time, she did quit promoting it on the show, but went to any entertainment show that would have her to continue the promoting elsewhere.

Well it appears that no matter whom Barbara tangles with (see Rosie O'Donnell) she always comes out smelling like a rose, because she's the respected, veteran tv journalist. And while it not may be the smartest thing for Star to start burning her bridges at this point, I am glad to see someone speak out against the n'ere do wrong, untouchable, my-$hit doesn't-stink, high and mighty, ever-so-important, name-dropping Barbara Walters and knock her down a peg or two.

Does Barbara come out smelling like a rose because she's respected, or because she's right? I can think of three people she's tangled with -- Star, Rosie, and Donald Trump related to the Rosie tangle. All three of them have a history of tangling with people in the name of self-promotion. I think they do themselves in more than the end result having any solid reflection on Barbara.

FORT Fogey

I think Barbara is not a nice person and that she totally treated Star badly.

I thought it was fantastic the day Star announced on air that she was being forced out of The View instead of lying about it like Barbara wanted her to do.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I must say it amazes me that some people, even other than in this thread, are willing to put a huge halo over BW's head. Personally, I think that woman is a shark...and shark's are known to kill; she's been around as long as she has for a reason. I've never let that little demure form and voice fool me. I guess we all believe what we want.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What I find fascinating about Star is how she is just another person who could not escape her insecurities. No matter how smart and successful she was, she still felt she was a fat unattractive women IMHO. That's why she was so strangely secretive about her weight loss surgery and that's why she wanted the whole world to know about her marriage (look at me I'm attractive enough to land me a handsome man) and that's why she's become so outspoken lately since her divorce.

When it comes to intelligence-related issues, I've never seen her act insecure. But, when it comes to her appearance she is very insecure and indicated by her unusual behavior. She is very smart, but she was so blinded by her insecurities that she could not see how her weight loss behavior and wedding histeria would alienate her from her audience and hurt her career.

+ Reply to Thread