+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree975Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2972600;
    Today was one of the better episodes in quite a while. There was a brief chat to open the show with no one talking all over another, then onto Jo Frost.

I could have done without Whoopi's tirade about her poor assistant though.
    I liked the episode too! Supernanny is a favorite show of mine - I never get tired of watching just how devilish some kids can be - and I think Nanny Jo is absolutely brilliant. She gave great parenting advice and I liked the open forum part of the show.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2974598;
    Exactly. Like many Republicans, she was not a big supporter of his when there were other more conservative candidates in the Republican race. When she compares him to the choices she'll have in a general election, she supports him (again, like many Republians) because she agrees with him on more issues than she does Clinton, Obama, or any other potential candidates. There's a vast difference between "supporting" and "declared perfection".
    And yet she points out non-issue things about the democrats (ie. Barack's relationship with his preacher) and bristles if anyone does the same about McCain. It would be fine if she stuck to the issues and argued about those, it's the personal life part where she looks hypocritical and it comes off as though she supports him as a whole not just as her party candidate.

Yesterday's SuperNanny show was great. I found it amusing that SuperNanny & Elisabeth try so hard to be PC about child raising and Joy & Whoopi (and Sherri regarding spanking) would jump in with their snarky comments that come from their experiences as mothers. Like Whoopi telling the one mom to let the kid experience a dirty diaper to learn if she wants it changed she needs to cooperate.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2975359;
    And yet she points out non-issue things about the democrats (ie. Barack's relationship with his preacher) and bristles if anyone does the same about McCain. It would be fine if she stuck to the issues and argued about those, it's the personal life part where she looks hypocritical and it comes off as though she supports him as a whole not just as her party candidate.
    I don't recall the women ever talking about McCain's personal life at this point - have they?

While I agree that there are shades of hypocrisy of Elisabeth declares a Democratic politician to be unacceptable because of an affair, but brush off the same from McCain (as I recall, she's insulted because of affairs, but argued against Democrats on policy rather than affairs alone) there would also be shads of hypocrisy of Joy or Whoopi brought infidelity up as an argument agaisnt McCain, given that they've dismissed such talk about Democratic politicians. I would guess that's why they really haven't delved in to the issue on the show that i can recall.

I don't think either Whoopi or Joy would declare that having an affair makes someone unfit to be POTUS as Elisabeth has vehemently argued.
    If they were to bring up the subject I think it would be more to point out Elisabeth's hypocrisy in supporting a man who's admitted to having more than one affair.
    Perhaps throw her "once a cheater always a cheater" mantra back at her when she inevitably brushes his affairs aside by declaring him "only human" or pointing out that he's been married to Cindy for close to 30 years.
    Neither Joy nor Whoopi appears to think, or has ever stated to the best of my knowledge, that having an affair makes you an unsuitable President (or parent, as Elisabeth has also argued) so I really can't see them stating it's McCain's infidelity that makes him unacceptable to either of them.
    Joy in particular has made it very clear she takes issue with his policies which she sees as an extention of Bushism.

McCain has barely been touched on The View. I assume they'll delve into his policies and possibly his personal life more once the Democratic nomination race is settled.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney
    It amazes me to read that people think that it is a fault in Elisabeth that she is against infidelity. I was raised that it is wrong and IMO it is wrong.
    It amazes me that you interpretted any of the comments in this thread in this way.
    I don't see anyone faulting Elisabeth for thinking infidelity is wrong or anyone claiming they don't also think it's wrong.
    The criticism is that she supports a candidate who has cheated on his wife by his own admission.
    She stated infidelity was a 'deal-breaker' for her in a Presidential candidate, but now supports one because he's the Republican candidate.

I don't think 'adulter' defines John McCain, even though I don't support him or any of his policies, but 'adulter' is one label that Elisabeth has stated that she is not willing to overlook so there is hypocrisy there.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2975457;
    I don't think either Whoopi or Joy would declare that having an affair makes someone unfit to be POTUS as Elisabeth has vehemently argued.
    If they were to bring up the subject I think it would be more to point out Elisabeth's hypocrisy in supporting a man who's admitted to having more than one affair.
    Perhaps throw her "once a cheater always a cheater" mantra back at her when she inevitably brushes his affairs aside by declaring him "only human" or pointing out that he's been married to Cindy for close to 30 years.
    Neither Joy nor Whoopi appears to think, or has ever stated to the best of my knowledge, that having an affair makes you an unsuitable President (or parent, as Elisabeth has also argued) so I really can't see them stating it's McCain's infidelity that makes him unacceptable to either of them.
    Joy in particular has made it very clear she takes issue with his policies which she sees as an extention of Bushism.

McCain has barely been touched on The View. I assume they'll delve into his policies and possibly his personal life more once the Democratic nomination race is settled.
    Given the number of times that Joy has declared that Bush and McCain are one in the same, or that McCain wants us in Iraq for 100 years, or that he doesn't understand the economy, I'm not sure that it's accurate to say he's been untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2975479;
    Given the number of times that Joy has declared that Bush and McCain are one in the same, or that McCain wants us in Iraq for 100 years, or that he doesn't understand the economy, I'm not sure that it's accurate to say he's been untouched.
    I really meant the subject of his personal life hasn't been broached.
    Joy does sling in her criticisms fairly regularly, but for the most part I don't think they have paid much attention to him.
    The focus has been on Senators Clinton and Obama much more so than on McCain, imo.
    It's not as though McCain is without issues that would make for Hot Topics, but on the whole they seem to me to have devoted far less time to him to this point.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2975498;
    I really meant the subject of his personal life hasn't been broached.
    Joy does sling in her criticisms fairly regularly, but for the most part I don't think they have paid much attention to him.
    The focus has been on Senators Clinton and Obama much more so than on McCain, imo.
    It's not as though McCain is without issues that would make for Hot Topics, but on the whole they seem to me to have devoted far less time to him to this point.
    Isn't that a reflection of the topics on the national radar screen of conversation as much as anything else? Whether its talk radio, the blogosphere, TV features, or any other measure of conversaton, Clinton and Obama are certainly dominating the conversation right now. Even the elections thread on this forum illustrates that. I've always thought that for the most part, what America is talking about determines what they talk about in Hot Topics more than what they talk about in Hot Topics determining what their audience then talks about.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2974421;
    It amazes me to read that people think that it is a fault in Elisabeth that she is against infidelity. I was raised that it is wrong and IMO it is wrong.
    Thank you, fluff and Veruka. I don't know how SavhLaney or PugMom could have interpreted what I said to mean I think infidelity is fine either. I was just wondering how Elisabeth, a previously outspoken opponent of marital infidelity, handled her boss' admission that she'd had a long affair with a married man.
    Seemed like an interesting question to me...touchy for E.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Usmagazine.com | EXCLUSIVE: Star Jones Responds to Barbara Walters' Memoir

EXCLUSIVE: Star Jones Responds to Barbara Walters' Memoir
    Wednesday May 7, 2008

Star Jones is speaking out against Barbara Walters for including her in her new memoir, Audition.
    In the book, Walters claims Jones forced her to lie about her gastric bypass surgery on The View. Walters also reveals that she had an affair with then-married Senator Edward Brooke during the 1970s.

Usmagazine.com caught up with Jones (who recently split from husband Al Reynolds) as she left a tennis workout in NYC Wednesday.

“It is a sad day when an icon like Barbara Walters, in the sunset of her life, is reduced to publicly branding herself as an adulterer, humiliating an innocent family with accounts of her illicit affair and speaking negatively against me all for the sake of selling a book," Jones told Us. "It speaks to her true character.”
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2975896;
    Thank you, fluff and Veruka. I don't know how SavhLaney or PugMom could have interpreted what I said to mean I think infidelity is fine either. I was just wondering how Elisabeth, a previously outspoken opponent of marital infidelity, handled her boss' admission that she'd had a long affair with a married man.
    Seemed like an interesting question to me...touchy for E.
    I think it is an interesting one, but most likely one we'll never really hear on the air. As you said, Babs is the boss. IT would be difficult enough for Elisabeth to voice her throughts on the matter to Babs privately let alone on the air. I don't think we'll ever see that conversation publicly, and I don't fault Elisabeth one bit if that is the case.

+ Reply to Thread