+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree976Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

"Yeah...Big Shock There!"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2947003;
    What Elisabeth doesn't realise is that John McCain is probably just as likely to benefit from votes based on gender and race as Senators Clinton and Obama.
    I think it would be very naive to argue that there aren't people in the US that will vote for Senator McCain purely because he's the only white male candidate.
    I imagine those people are far less likely to be asked their voting preference and possibly far less likely to be forthcoming with their reasons for voting the way they have.
    That's not to say every person who votes for McCain is doing so because he's white and male, but not every woman who's voting for Senator Clinton is doing so because she's female.
    As Joy tried to explain to her, there will be some people, of which Joy is one, who are using the race/gender issue as a tie-breaker.
    She would be happy with Clinton or Obama, but would love to see a female President.

I think Sherri felt insulted by Elisabeth's comments yesterday, she seems angry with her refusal to really acknowledge her point that previous black candidates have not had the same success to this point that Obama has.
    Her comment about "taking off her white goggles" didn't go down too well either. Rightfully so, it was highly ignorant, imo.
    I watched Thursday's discussion last night. I think the key source of misunderstanding between the women was that Elisabeth seemed to be coming from a perspective of idealism, while the other women were coming from a perspective of realism. I got the impression that Elisabeth wasn't talking so much from perspective of "This is what people have experienced, and therefore this is how they think" as Whoopi was, but more of a "I wish people really would judge from the content of character and not the color of skin". As a matter of ideals, I'm willing to guess that Whoopi, Sherri, and Joy would wish for the same thing. I think their lines just got crossed between one wishing, and three talking about something else entirely.

It was all compounded by each side thinking the other was looking at it as they were. Whoopi and Sherri thought Elisabeth was coming from a perspective of realism. Elisabeth thought that when Whoopi and Sherri were saying "This is how it is" they were adding "and how it always will be". They weren't, nor was Elisabeth. Since they were talking about the same large topic, but two entirely different aspects of it, they spent a lot of time misunderstanding each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2949188;
    I got the impression that Elisabeth wasn't talking so much from perspective of "This is what people have experienced, and therefore this is how they think" as Whoopi was, but more of a "I wish people really would judge from the content of character and not the color of skin".
    So Elizabeth is going to quote Dr King and then accuse people of backing their chosen candidate based on the color of his skin? Did I miss something?
    CYA

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2951304;
    So Elizabeth is going to quote Dr King and then accuse people of backing their chosen candidate based on the color of his skin? Did I miss something?
    I'm not sure I get the connection. First, I don't believe that Elisabeth quoted Dr King. I inserted his remark as a summary of what Elisabeth is striving for. But I inserted it because of the power of the remark -- not the skin color of the man who said it.

FORT Fanatic

It was painful today to watch Joy try to argue with Newt Gingrich. She was like a 4yr old trying to reason with an adult. When he was patiently trying to give her some history and facts all she could say was " free speech". It was so pitiful to watch her and see her making all her idiot sourpuss faces from the minute they introduced him. Then she tried to again make some sad stab at Bush thinking she was being funny.
    I really like him though he was great and self depricating in his awarness of being with the women. I loved his patience with Joy and his knowledge on history and his overall thoughts are great.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2957645;
    It was painful today to watch Joy try to argue with Newt Gingrich. She was like a 4yr old trying to reason with an adult. When he was patiently trying to give her some history and facts all she could say was " free speech". It was so pitiful to watch her and see her making all her idiot sourpuss faces from the minute they introduced him. Then she tried to again make some sad stab at Bush thinking she was being funny.
    I really like him though he was great and self depricating in his awarness of being with the women. I loved his patience with Joy and his knowledge on history and his overall thoughts are great.
    I can't wait to get home and watch that! For whatever flaws he may have as a person, Newt Gingrich is most definitely a man who knows why he believes what he does, and can be flat out brillant in debating it. It's posts like this that make me happy I have DVR and have the option of watching The View each day.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2957645;
    Was this from today's episode of the View or yesterday's? For whatever reason, my PVR didn't tape any of my shows yesterday.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2957697;
    Was this from today's episode of the View or yesterday's? For whatever reason, my PVR didn't tape any of my shows yesterday.
    It was today's episode. And like she said Joy was absolutely ignorant and annoying.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Regular

I missed the first half of the show because Bush was on. Did Elisabeth ever announce the big thing that she couldn't talk about yesterday?

FORT Fanatic

I think it might have been that she has a cameo in the movie Maid of Honor. They showed a clip and it was really cute and she was perfect for the scene.

Newt was funny when he put his head down on the table I think he said he may have lost his reputation here on the view or something like that it was hard to hear but he was really funny. I so hope he runs for pres some day! Personal flaws aside the man is brilliant!

Joy Joy Joy no one said Wright couldn't say what he wanted he can say it all day he is just offensive!

+ Reply to Thread