+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1628Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

You find the look attractive, I find it uncomfortable and tacky looking. You think jewellery is an acceptable place to spend money, I can think of a thousand better places to spend it. And as executive assistant to a very close relative of one of the contenders for Canadian Prime Minister, I can tell you, not all wealthy people think that ostentatious displays of gold is an acceptable way to display one's wealth. As I said, chacun à son goût.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2937507;
    You find the look attractive, I find it uncomfortable and tacky looking. You think jewellery is an acceptable place to spend money, I can think of a thousand better places to spend it. And as executive assistant to a very close relative of one of the contenders for Canadian Prime Minister, I can tell you, not all wealthy people think that ostentatious displays of gold is an acceptable way to display one's wealth. As I said, chacun à son goût.
    Cindy McCain comes from a family that is the largest Coors distributor in Arizona. The woman has plenty of money. Who is to say that she's not speidng some money on jewelery, and more money in other areas which you may or may not deem more appropriate?

John and Cindy McCain maintain separate finances in many areas, so when their tax returns are released in campaigns, they don't reflect the full picture of her wealth. But from what has been released, we know that they donated over $340,000 to charity in 2007 and 2008. That does not figure in booy royalties that he donated to charity, and I don't THINK it counts money they've put towards their charitable foundation. So I think it's safe to say that Cindy is spending money on more than just jewelery.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2937514;
    Cindy McCain comes from a family that is the largest Coors distributor in Arizona. The woman has plenty of money. Who is to say that she's not speidng some money on jewelery, and more money in other areas which you may or may not deem more appropriate?

John and Cindy McCain maintain separate finances in many areas, so when their tax returns are released in campaigns, they don't reflect the full picture of her wealth. But from what has been released, we know that they donated over $340,000 to charity in 2007 and 2008. That does not figure in booy royalties that he donated to charity, and I don't THINK it counts money they've put towards their charitable foundation. So I think it's safe to say that Cindy is spending money on more than just jewelery.
    I didn't say I thought it was inappropriate, I said it was tacky - I think the big gold jewellery look is incredibly tacky, whether on a rap star or on a suburban matron. Better places to spend it doesn't specifically mean charity.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2937535;
    I didn't say I thought it was inappropriate, I said it was tacky - I think the big gold jewellery look is incredibly tacky, whether on a rap star or on a suburban matron. Better places to spend it doesn't specifically mean charity.
    You're right -- but the charitable contributions are one of the only ways that the public knows how they are spending their money. The amount that they've given indicates that she IS spending money on things other than jewelery, which answers to the point you made. She is likely spending money on thigs besides jewelery and charity, but we have no way of knowing that. (quite frankly, we have no way of knowing that the jewelery wasn't a gift that she didn't spend a dime on - but you get the point).

Honestly, if Cindy McCain spent the day on The View, and the worst that can be said about her is that she's thin and has tacky jewelry, then she must have done pretty darn good. I wasn't going to watch yesterday's show, but now I may have to check it out. We usually have much worse things to say about the women on the show. Rock on Cindy!

Actually, this was also said about her:

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2935605;
    I found Cindy McCain dry and dust and as boring as hell. She really doesn't have anything to say. Seems pretty devoid of personality. Crappy show today. There is nothing about her that says "First Lady" to me.
    Which I guess is why not much is being said about her beyond her attire.

FORT Fan

I am not easily offended at all. But Barbara constantly referring to African Americans etc "The blacks" makes me cringe it sounds awful.

FORT Fogey

Barbara just makes me cringe in general. I was hoping she would be off today, but no such luck.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2937356;
    But, chacun à son goût.
    I agree. Some people are enchanted by superficiality....not that there's anything wrong with that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78;2937607;
    I am not easily offended at all. But Barbara constantly referring to African Americans etc "The blacks" makes me cringe it sounds awful.
    Doesn't bother me one bit. I am sick of figuring out what to call black people. Seriously, as Whoopi said the other day they have had too many names. If people are going to call whites white then they are black end of story. I will never say african american again since there are a lot of white people from Africa too! There is no value to it.

As far as Mrs Mcain goes no one knows the value of the jewelry she was wearing. The women on that show wear lots of stuff and it is sort of a fashiony type of show. I can see her putting on a little more jewelry or whatever for the show. I happened to think she looked great.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Anyone have a screen cap of the jewelry? Now you all have got me curious! I want to put my 2 cents in, too!

+ Reply to Thread